The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 11:41 AM

Think about this...
How long should an acoustic guitar last? I'm thinking, if cared for at least 50 years.

How valuable is a warranty? My experience has been it is valuable for a NEW instrument because if the construction is faulty it will fail earlier rather than later. I had my brand new Taylor 814ceDLX have the bridge crack shortly after getting it. It is the only acoustic I've purchased new. I bought it because the deal I got cost only slightly more than a used instrument.

Would you rather eat depreciation on a new instrument in the event that you want to sell it, or let the original owner eat the depreciation and allow you to buy it 2nd hand for a deep discount and down the road sell it for no loss or even a profit?

While not guitars, I'll share this with you. For a time I was trading/collecting professional quality used trumpets. When I no longer needed so many trumpets I sold those instruments that I bought used... and used the PROFITS from the sale of those instruments to finance much of my early guitar habit. Not only did I get to enjoy playing those used trumpet over the years virtually for free, my first several guitars were, because of the profits virtually free as well.

Now... which is better, new or used????
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-14-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
Which have you had better buck with?
Hi Pdubs

For me it's not about the price, but the guitar.

I paid full-price for my Olson (and glad I did), and my Bashkin.

I also own a used Kronbauer and a used Recording King (both amazing all-solid guitars).

All part of my herd for more than 14 years now (one has been my main guitar 28 years).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-14-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Easy... new... custom.
You 1%'ers..........LOL!

Good choice!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-14-2021, 03:32 PM

Wow! Lots of used buyers in here, and it seems like it works out well for the most part. I like to assume that most acoustic guitarists are honest and decent people. One thing that makes me skeptical about buying used is the possibility of getting a dud. I can’t help but to think, why is this person getting rid of this guitar? How good can it be if they don’t want it anymore, but then again...different folks-different strokes. Thanks for all the replies guys! I’m starting to think that a purchase from right here on AGF would be the way to go, should I decide to go with used. Sorry for the misspelling in the OP.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-15-2021 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 05-15-2021, 02:36 AM

When I try a new "style" of guitar I tend to buy new to take advantage of modern technology or recent design. I bought my first Gretsch (a 5220g Electromatic Jet) a couple of years ago to see how I got on with the Gretsch feel (I wanted a fixed bridge). No heavy investment risk at about 500€. Same principal for a Höfner Ignition Beatle bass.
On the other hand, when I bought my latest strat, I chose a used Custom Shop NOS 1961 sonic blue, because I knew exactly what I wanted and because used was significantly less expensive than a new one at only 2,400€. Ditto for a 1980 Ibanez AS200.
I have occasionally bought new higher end guitars like an Ibanez Artist AR 2619 (MIJ) - but only because it was on a 35% clearance offer, making it a better deal than a 1980s AR300 which would have been the alternative.
My acoustics (Martins) have always been new with the exception of the very recent acquisition of a 1973 Ibanez Concorde 754 (based on the Gibson Everley Brothers), but that was pure sentimentality in order to replace the same model that was stolen in 1976 which I had really bonded with. I like the idea of listening to how an acoustic changes over time, much more so than an electric..... it's part of the journey

Last edited by Ray175; 05-15-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I've had success with both new and used. If possible, I'd prefer used because of pricing but that's not always possible due to availability.

I think the key with either is to set expectations and know what you're getting. A great pawn shop find is exciting but so is a new guitar that you finally decided to buy.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:55 AM

Actually, this thread just prompted me take a count. I'm at about 40% used, which means most were purchased new, but a significant number used.

I guess I can go either way.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:25 AM

New or used?

Quote:

"better buck" - I've had some decent deals along the way. While not much of a hagler, not afraid to make a decent offer either. So if the price was fair with me and the seller, that was OK all around. New or used, almost all my guitars were played by me, sometimes extensively, before purchase, and I am happy with them. More important to get one I liked than the best deal available.

"better luck" - 'Play before pay' has served me well enough whether new or used. Bought one instrument sight unseen and sound unheard, and was pleasantly surprised with condition and sound of instrument. (Thanks again RP.) Bought one wreck for cheap that cleaned up really well and am very pleased with the result.

So I have no bias in the new or used choice. 'Best player available' as they say in football drafts. I think I've had good luck in both the new and used categories, and my purchases have been about 50/50 new/used over the years. But not overly comfortable buying without playing.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-15-2021, 11:11 AM

I prefer used. Saving money is great, but also I’m (1) overly careful with stuff generally and (2) have three kids kindergarten or younger. A few scratches is a bonus to me, because they’re probably inevitable with the kids. When they’re older I’ll probably get something nicer and newer, but right now they love to explore the instruments and I’d hate to make them taboo. I’d much rather they grow up loving and playing with them.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:35 AM

All my instruments are used now....

My favorite guitar, my Martin HD-28, was bought gently used. My sweetest sounding fiddles were bought/received used. I bought my Ovation 12 string used and I've only had one real issue, a failed tuner (after I'd played it for over 30 years).

I have a couple custom built instruments that I got new of course that both have some issues. Most of the instruments I've bought new have had no problems.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
All my instruments are used now....

Got a point there...

My old acoustic and old electric have almost exclusively been used by me - since 1980s. In the last few years, I've bought a nice second hand acoustic and a couple of second hand electrics. Looks like I tend towards guitars that are, in one way or another, a little out of the ordinary. None of those guitars has given me any trouble, new or used.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-16-2021, 11:18 AM

I almost always buy used in great condition. Barring two, I think all of my other 7 guitars were used, and you really wouldn't know them from brand new. The Taylor T5 12-string does have a small dent on the back of the neck, but that's the only defect I can think of out of the lot of them.

For me, it just makes sense. I like to try out new (to me) instruments, and buying new would be both prohibitive and pointless. I don't sell privately - always a trade through a reputable store - so I'm going to take a hit on the trades. With used instruments and within the price range I operate, those hits are well manageable.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Default New or used?

I’ve bought both, and each have advantages. But buying a quality guitar used gets you a better sounding acoustic than new. It’s the ‘opening up’ thing so often discussed, easily dismissed, and undeniable once you’ve heard it.
I’ve watched a few new guitars open up, get past their new guitar stiffness, and sound much, much better after 2 or 3 years. And I’ve heard that warmth already present in used guitars, especially 10-20 years old.
So if you want that mature, warm, not-new sound, you gotta buy used or be patient!
(The issue of Aged-tone, or baked, tops may or may not muddy these waters.)

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 05-16-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:50 AM

Mostly I buy new as there are always specific things I am looking for that I cannot obtain used. This comes at a real financial cost, yes, but comes with a warranty (rationalization). The few times I've bought used, I was well satisfied. But I can say that about new as well.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:58 AM

I'm all about bang for the buck. I tend to find the most value used, but occassionally, I find it in new guitars.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion