The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2021, 08:58 PM

Default Best do-it-all small-ish guitar?

I'm looking for a single guitar that can come as close as possible to being a one-stop, kind of do-it-all guitar as my only higher-end acoustic. I'd prefer to stay in the parlor to 00 to grand concert size range.

I'm currently between the Martin 00-18, Martin 00-28 (used), Gibson LG-2, and Taylor 312 (without electronics. Not a fan of the Taylor ES)

I've also ventured onto the Blueridge and Larrivee side of the internet.

If you had to pick a single guitar that was on the smaller side and could come closest to meeting all needs, which would you choose? Not limited to the list above. I'm open to other suggestions.

Unfortunately I am not able to play or A/B all of these guitars.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:15 PM

Don't say no until you play one...Yamaha AC3M.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

May I be the first to suggest an USA made Breedlove concertina model? Biggest problem might be getting your hands on one to try.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

Last edited by Lillis; 01-04-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Don't say no until you play one...Yamaha AC3M.
I forgot to mention the FSX5 in my list. Leaning that way now that I look deeper. Is the AC3M a better choice?
Old 01-02-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
May I be the first to suggest an USA Breedlove concertina model? Biggest problem might be getting your hands on one to try.
Is the USA made designated by the "Oregon" in the title? Navigating their product line now. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:28 PM

If for some strange turn of events, I found I was only left with my Martin 00, it would work out fine. I had a couple of nice Larrivees I enjoyed, and a Little Gibson LG1 too. All really nice instruments, but none were as nice as my little Martin. I think it’s special.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 01-02-2021, 09:33 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby View Post
I'm looking for a single guitar that can come as close as possible to being a one-stop, kind of do-it-all guitar as my only higher-end acoustic. I'd prefer to stay in the parlor to 00 to grand concert size range.

I'm currently between the Martin 00-18, Martin 00-28 (used), Gibson LG-2, and Taylor 312 (without electronics. Not a fan of the Taylor ES)

I've also ventured onto the Blueridge and Larrivee side of the internet.

If you had to pick a single guitar that was on the smaller side and could come closest to meeting all needs, which would you choose? Not limited to the list above. I'm open to other suggestions.

Unfortunately I am not able to play or A/B all of these guitars.
Out of the guitars you've listed, and without knowing your style of play or attack, I would go with the Martin 00-28. If you play lightly, get the Taylor because of its balance and clarity -- if you're a strummer either a Gibson or Martin would be appropriate. But you can't beat the 00-28 as an all-rounder, if you both fingerpick and strum.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-02-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
If for some strange turn of events, I found I was only left with my Martin 00, it would work out fine. I had a couple of nice Larrivees I enjoyed, and a Little Gibson LG1 too. All really nice instruments, but none were as nice as my little Martin. I think it’s special.

Jeff
I'm leaning pretty hard towards the 00-28, but I really do play a big variety of music and want to be able to strum with some enthusiasm (not playing acoustic death metal or anything, but within reason). I'm seeing a lot of "the 00 size isn't good for strumming" and some "the 18 is better for strumming than the 28." Not sure what to think.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Out of the guitars you've listed, and without knowing your style of play or attack, I would go with the Martin 00-28. If you play lightly, get the Taylor because of its balance and clarity -- if you're a strummer either a Gibson or Martin would be appropriate. But you can't beat the 00-28 as an all-rounder, if you both fingerpick and strum.
I do feel drawn to the 00-28 for sure, especially because there's a nicely priced used one near me. I do want to be able to strum with some enthusiasm and am seeing some say the 00 isn't a great strummer. I'm glad to see you say this.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

What do you consider “all needs”, OP, and what is your budget for “high end”. Are you also considering used instruments?

To be more specific, are you looking at strumming, flatpicking “BG”,fiddletunes etc., and playing fingerstyle across all genres? Do you play rock, blues, latin, jazz, folk, celtic.....? Do you play solo or in a group? Do you need amplification? Do you routinely capo, and how far up the neck? Do you sing?

How about an example of 3-4 tunes you consider to show the breadth and depth of your guitaristic universe, and perhaps a mention of 3-4 of your strongest guitar player influences?

I actually enjoy the kind of speculation you ask for, but I think you need to provide a bit more info of the type mentioned above before anyone can really zoom in on some meaningful suggestions.

Best wishes on your quest!
Old 01-02-2021, 09:45 PM

Is there a reason you have to stay with the 00 size?
Old 01-02-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
What do you consider “all needs”, OP, and what is your budget for “high end”. Are you also considering used instruments?

To be more specific, are you looking at strumming, flatpicking “BG”,fiddletunes etc., and playing fingerstyle across all genres? Do you play rock, blues, latin, jazz, folk, celtic.....? Do you play solo or in a group? Do you need amplification? Do you routinely capo, and how far up the neck? Do you sing?

How about an example of 3-4 tunes you consider to show the breadth and depth of your guitaristic universe, and perhaps a mention of 3-4 of your strongest guitar player influences?

I actually enjoy the kind of speculation you ask for, but I think you need to provide a bit more info of the type mentioned above before anyone can really zoom in on some meaningful suggestions.

Best wishes on your quest!
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply and chance to expand a bit. I'd prefer to stay south of $2500, but am hunting used south of $2000.

Last edited by subby; 01-04-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby View Post
Is the USA made designated by the "Oregon" in the title? Navigating their product line now. Thanks!
They appear to have dropped the Oregon Concertina without cutaway from their line. MAP was $1899, Guitar Center has them on sale for the next four days for $1488. Solid myrtlewood back and sides, solid spruce top. I’m learning I don’t love the really wide fingerboard on my Eastman E10OO so I’m taking advantage of the sale along with GC’s generous return policy to see if this guitar is “the one.”
I’ll also say that if my fat stubby fingers got along with the fingerboard of the Eastman it would be “the one.” The fat ends of my fingers like it but the short thumb and fingers not so much. They make a few smaller body guitars that would be well worth considering
Old 01-02-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianissimo View Post
Is there a reason you have to stay with the 00 size?
Preference.

Last edited by subby; 01-04-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
They appear to have dropped the Oregon Concertina without cutaway from their line. MAP was $1899, Guitar Center has them on sale for the next four days for $1488. Solid myrtlewood back and sides, solid spruce top. I’m learning I don’t love the really wide fingerboard on my Eastman E10OO so I’m taking advantage of the sale along with GC’s generous return policy to see if this guitar is “the one.”
I’ll also say that if my fat stubby fingers got along with the fingerboard of the Eastman it would be “the one.” The fat ends of my fingers like it but the short thumb and fingers not so much. They make a few smaller body guitars that would be well worth considering
Definitely interesting but unfortunately I'm not seeing the sale price on their site.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion