The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-15-2021, 09:31 PM

The mold is simply a reference for me, not an item to use to force the sides to conform to a shape, have posted these photos previously

To start with

After back and forth on the hand bender

Finished

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-15-2021, 09:48 PM

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 05-16-2021, 08:30 AM

Gluing on the end blocks.

A mold is handy to not make a mistake. The above guitar has one side that is longer than the other. Cut at the wrong pencil mark and the one bout is wider than the other. Oops. Not enough that anyone would notice unless they measured. Same goes for the alignment of the end blocks. If the mold is made accurately the end blocks will be parallel to each other. I have found a simple way of ensuring mine are if I build onto the top.

Lot of different ways of building, no real right or wrong.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:36 AM

Printer I saw you post about that method a while back and tried it and found that it works great. I've since gone back to my normal way of doing it but may try that out again.

Do you have a dedicated post (for lack of a better word) for each model guitar you use? Or do you just grab a piece of scrap and cut it to size for each one? Since I use a bolt on neck I was thinking of making a post with a threaded insert for the head block and maybe just a screw for the tail.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Printer I saw you post about that method a while back and tried it and found that it works great. I've since gone back to my normal way of doing it but may try that out again.

Do you have a dedicated post (for lack of a better word) for each model guitar you use? Or do you just grab a piece of scrap and cut it to size for each one? Since I use a bolt on neck I was thinking of making a post with a threaded insert for the head block and maybe just a screw for the tail.
At the moment I do not have a lot of dedicated jigs, hope to get on it this year. I just chop a piece of 2x2 when needed. I have a few different bending form shapes and my two dishes but otherwise I just wing it. I do bend on a pipe and just let them set on the forms overnight. I may get out the heat blanket and give a shot of heat just to set the shape. I have been trying different methods of doing things and just seeing what will stick.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
At the moment I do not have a lot of dedicated jigs, hope to get on it this year. I just chop a piece of 2x2 when needed. I have a few different bending form shapes and my two dishes but otherwise I just wing it. I do bend on a pipe and just let them set on the forms overnight. I may get out the heat blanket and give a shot of heat just to set the shape. I have been trying different methods of doing things and just seeing what will stick.
I was just thinking.... Drill in some large holes near the ends of the position post jig and then you can leave it all in place when you glue the sides down using the large hole as a spot for a C-Clamp. If you get my gist.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I was just thinking.... Drill in some large holes near the ends of the position post jig and then you can leave it all in place when you glue the sides down using the large hole as a spot for a C-Clamp. If you get my gist.
This one was a ukulele, I did leave the center piece in while gluing on the one side with the clamps compressing the front to back. The second side I think I did without it to be able to reach down far enough. I will keep your suggestion in mind for the next one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair