The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2021, 09:59 AM

Default LR Baggs Session DI or Fishman Loudbox Artist

Your solo acoustic gig in a theater, you will go through the PA and stage monitors, which would you use if you had either from which to choose- LR Baggs Session DI or Fishman Loudbox Artist ? Why ?

Old 05-17-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbutcheraxis View Post
Your solo acoustic gig in a theater, you will go through the PA and stage monitors, which would you use if you had either from which to choose- LR Baggs Session DI or Fishman Loudbox Artist ? Why ?
That's kind of a personal thing to be honest. If you know there will be monitors then I would just go through the Session. The problem with the session is that there's no eq really. I also don't know what pickup you are using so that makes a difference. I would more so suggest the Venue as an all in one option.

The benefit of the Loudbox Artist is that you obviously have eq and you can tailor the tone on stage to your liking. Sometimes when you leave it up to the front of house tech, they will tweak your tone to the point where you don't like it. I might be wrong here but I am pretty sure you can tweak the tone on the Artist to where you like it but then leave it unaltered for the sound man to tweak for those in the audience.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:55 AM

Depends on your pickup too.

I have a session DI and a Loudbox Mini. I find my piezo equipped guitars sound better through the Fishman than the Session.

The Session is a great little pedal though - just short on being a stand alone option without EQ etc

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 05-17-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post

The benefit of the Loudbox Artist is that you obviously have eq and you can tailor the tone on stage to your liking. Sometimes when you leave it up to the front of house tech, they will tweak your tone to the point where you don't like it. I might be wrong here but I am pretty sure you can tweak the tone on the Artist to where you like it but then leave it unaltered for the sound man to tweak for those in the audience.
This ^^^^^ you can send an individual channel DI out that's pre EQ to the house feed and the FOH mixer can transform it to what they want out there. Meanwhile, back on stage you have what you want from the EQ settings on the amp.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:23 PM

A little more context would be helpful. Are you deciding whether to purchase one or the other? If so, what would work better for you for other settings you might play? Do you already have an amp and/or PA you like?

Both the Session and the Loudbox will function nicely as a DI. The Session offers the proprietary tone shaping of the Saturation and Comp EQ settings. I have the Align series Session, and those dials work magic on the sound from my Taylor ES2 pickup. They may or may not work well for your guitar/pickup.

In contrast to the Session, the Loudbox provides a standard 3-band EQ, which may or may not be useful to you. The Loudbox also offers some fairly tasteful effects (e.g., chorus, reverb, delay, etc.). Again, that may or may not be useful to you.
"Acoustic" Setup: Fender Acoustasonic Jazzmaster (USA), Fishman Loudbox Artist, Source Audio EQ2, LR Baggs Align Session, Wampler Ego, T-Rex Moller 2, Boss DD-500/RV-500/MD-500, EHX 1440, Matthews Effects Futurist
Other Gear: Taylor 314ce, Les Paul Classic, PRS S2 Mira, Telecaster (Nashville Deluxe), Ovation Celebrity, Martin Backpacker, BeatBuddy, TC Electronics Duplicator, Shure BETA 87A
Old 05-19-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Given the world of unknowns when you enter a theater situation, I'd go with the Loudbox. Mine is not lacking anywhere on EQ, delivers a good solid sound to the PA from the DI out, and I have full control from the stage. Just tell the sound guy to EQ everything flat and you mix from there. I would much rather be in control of my own sound.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-20-2021, 12:50 PM

I would bring the Fishman Loudbox and use it for my monitor and direct box.
I do not trust sound techs especially one that does not know my music or what I want. At least with the Loudbox you can control your own monitor volume.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification