The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2021, 12:29 AM

I have learned a lot from $40 used guitars. A couple of them turned out to be worth a lot more, which doesn't much matter as I am not selling them. I learned what body sizes and scale lengths were comfortable for me. I learned to set them up for good playability and the best tone they had in them. One or another of them is usually within arm's length while the fancier ones are slumbering in their cases during weather extremes. And I am more likely to take one out into harm's way while the others stay at home and nobody hears them play. - Stevo
Old 05-17-2021, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

I probably won’t buy another cheap guitar. I have ended up with two, both of which together came to under $500. Both were bought sight unseen off Ebay. They are my only guitars and the Chinese all hog one, which I bought to try out the body size after owning dreads, I will pass on as soon as I can find it a good home, leaving me with just the A&L Legacy. I do my own set-ups, make my own nuts and bridges, fret levelling where needed etc. Neither guitar that I presently have sounds “stella” but they are both good in their own way and have lots of usable character. Plus, the better I get as a player the better these guitars sound! The Legacy has sort of a country “Fender Tele” bite to it that I think really suits my playing style. Its neck angle is perfect. and it seems a rock solid build for living out on a stand and taking out and about on trips.

I am just a “campfire” guitarist and have no ambition to be anything else. However, I do regularly record myself on my phone during practice sessions to identify my myriad of areas for improvement! This recent crappy phone recording I think shows how a cheap guitar can have “character” in its tone. The Legacy is cherry plywood back and sides, spruce top and maple neck. I have shaped up my own bone nut and saddle for the guitar but done nothing else to it.

At some stage I may drop $$$$ on a guitar but I have realised that the higher priced guitars that I really like the tone of tend to be the ones that are copies of “student” guitars from years back. So guitars like the Gibson LG-2 and Martin 00-17 are on my radar, plus say the Atkin 47 or Beard Decophonic Sidecar or perhaps a Waterloo 14 fret. However, it is a bit galling to have to fork out so much cash today for what were the cheap guitars of the past!!! And that sort of endears me to look at the cheap guitars of today in perhaps a more favourable light.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 05-17-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Everyone needs a campfire guitar... the one you dare to take anywhere, anytime...and have no fear of losing. I have had four or five and have given away all but the last one. That old cracked $5 Harmony Broadway is always out and ready for anything.
I have a Taylor GS Mini that has been working well for that purpose. Anyway that's what my conscious said.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion