The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-15-2021, 05:02 PM

We went in on a family ride this morning on the local rail trail. My wife got a new bike this spring (Specialized Diverge E5 alloy) and ceded her 4 year old Trek FX2 to our 14yo son. I went tubeless with my 3 year old Trek Marlin 7.

We’re not ones to do these long 4 hour/50 mile rides on busy roads; today’s was only 20 miles and about an hour and a half. That’s long enough. Quality over quantity, though I intend to ride ever other day for 13 miles which typically only takes an hour. It’s really my only form of exercise.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:12 PM
Anticipation Junkie

That’s a beautiful ride, Kerbie!

I ride alone at times or with a friend, but I also go on a weekly ride with a larger group of friends. Over the past month, we’ve been riding sections of an old rail bed that connected a number of small, beautiful rural towns where it’s been converted to bike trail. Each ride is about 25 mi. We make a stop at a bakery in the destination town and tour it a bit. Just love it.

Today, I biked an 8 mi. trail with my eldest son, d-i-l and two granddaughters. Precious!
Old 05-15-2021, 06:26 PM

One of the great pleasures of being retired is that I no longer have to confine my long rides to weekends. It's really great to get out during the week when the roads and trails are generally quieter around here.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one who was out soaking up the joys of biking!

Been fun reading about all your rides... thanks for sharing.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:29 PM

Did a quick 20 miler this morning after work. Decided to explore a local multi use trail. It was a little unorganized and not well marked.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post

And I will be impressed when you can travel 80MPH on yours.
I do both and trust me they both indeed have their own special appeal (if very different , which is actually good thing)

if a picture is worth a thousand words here is a 2k treatise on it

BTW I am told this one tops out about 130 to 140 I have been at 120 (one time for about 10 seconds) which is more than enough excitement

So today actually I'm off to do some walk/wade fly fishing before the the big runoff starts and muddies the river

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-16-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Big weekend of for me, I organized a ride with my group up in Humboldt county this weekend. 4 days in a row is going to be tough but the first two have been a blast.

Just a herd of Roosevelt Elk running along the beach as we dropped into the coastal trail.

Some fairly large trees...

Who puts a ping pong table with a water sealed container with paddles and balls at the top of a mountain biking trail? Redwood Coast Mountain Biking Association, apparently. Thanks guys!

Old 05-16-2021, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

That's great, Dirk! I've always wanted to play ping-pong in the middle of my bike ride.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That's great, Dirk! I've always wanted to play ping-pong in the middle of my bike ride.
Who doesn’t, right?
Old 05-16-2021, 10:37 AM

Just curious Kerbie, when did you order the bike if you took delivery in February?

I ordered a new hybrid about 6 weeks ago from a company called Roll. They were expecting to start shipping orders in early May but not surprisingly that seems to have slipped
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 05-16-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
Just curious Kerbie, when did you order the bike if you took delivery in February?

I ordered a new hybrid about 6 weeks ago from a company called Roll. They were expecting to start shipping orders in early May but not surprisingly that seems to have slipped
Hey captain... Actually, I didn't order it. I had had a couple Trek hybrids before deciding I wanted something closer to my old racer. So, I researched it for a long time before settling on the Domane SL5.

I started searching my local stores and because of the lockdowns, I quickly ran out of luck. I considered several others, some of them up to three times the price. One of those had Ultegra components and boy, those were nice! Anyway, I called Trek national and got them to search everything within 400 miles of me. I found exactly one... but I called them immediately and asked if they'd hold it for me for a day. And then I went on a road trip to get it. So, it was kind of an ordeal, but well worth it.

Each Trek store told me that ordering it would take at least a year and that didn't appeal to me. I think I had the bike about 36 hours after calling Trek national.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:56 AM

Living only a few miles from a 50 mile state forest bike trail My wife and I ride year 'round and an average of 6 days per week and about 15 to 20 miles per ride. Weather this weekend was perfect (unusually cool and with low humidity for this time if year) for our rides. Spotted lots of wildlife including gopher tortoises, white-tailed deer, wild turkeys, swallow-tailed kites, red shouldered hawks, summer tanagers, a bald eagle, 6-lined racerunners, a southern black racer, and an abundance of wild flowers. It was a great weekend on the trail!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-17-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Hey captain... Actually, I didn't order it. I had had a couple Trek hybrids before deciding I wanted something closer to my old racer. So, I researched it for a long time before settling on the Domane SL5.

I started searching my local stores and because of the lockdowns, I quickly ran out of luck. I considered several others, some of them up to three times the price. One of those had Ultegra components and boy, those were nice! Anyway, I called Trek national and got them to search everything within 400 miles of me. I found exactly one... but I called them immediately and asked if they'd hold it for me for a day. And then I went on a road trip to get it. So, it was kind of an ordeal, but well worth it.

Each Trek store told me that ordering it would take at least a year and that didn't appeal to me. I think I had the bike about 36 hours after calling Trek national.
It's odd that Covid made bikes more popular. Most of my shops looked like they had been robbed with inventory flying off the shelves faster than they can replenish.

I'm a diehard road racer, but it seems that everyone in my area switched to gravel racing. I might begrudgingly get a gravel bike and might have to start this fall if inventory is weak.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:05 AM

Some pics from relatively recent racing days. Hopefully that returns to my area ASAP.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post

Who puts a ping pong table with a water sealed container with paddles and balls at the top of a mountain biking trail? Redwood Coast Mountain Biking Association, apparently. Thanks guys!

Man you guys must be slammin' and are way out of my league if you need helmets for ping pong

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic