The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-15-2021, 01:51 PM

Default effects pedal question

Hi; I have my "home use only" effects pedals hooked up to a small amp . just wondering ;I use these pedals hooked up together ;[no batteries] and plugged into a wall recpticle.Can i keep them plugged in ALL the time?Or is there an isuue with power going to them [when not playing ]? Hope this makes sense.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi; I have my "home use only" effects pedals hooked up to a small amp . just wondering ;I use these pedals hooked up together ;[no batteries] and plugged into a wall recpticle.Can i keep them plugged in ALL the time?Or is there an isuue with power going to them [when not playing ]? Hope this makes sense.
no problem
Old 05-15-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Should be fine. But if you’re paranoid just disconnect the input lead.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Should be fine. But if you’re paranoid just disconnect the input lead.
I'm paranoid. Disconnecting the guitar cable would only disable the first pedal.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-16-2021, 05:09 AM

I have my pedals in a power bar and then turn that off. I'm not sure if there are any pedals that draw power when plugged in and disengaged?
Old 05-16-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I'm paranoid. Disconnecting the guitar cable would only disable the first pedal.
The only thing to fear is having the house hit with lightning and you fry your electronics, but do you unplug everything in your house when not in use? Of course not, no reason to worry about your pedals any more than your TV. And even that can be solved by plugging them into a power strip with surge protection, or even unplugging the strip from the wall when you aren't playing. But some sort of inherent "issue" from leaving the pedals attached to their individual power supplies? No.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:58 AM

yeah ;I'm not sure if I can keep power to them all the time. I do have limited recpticles in that area. so i keep a lamp plugged in too. just have to keep bending over to unplug.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Well goes without saying I meant the input side of every pedal in the chain.

Here’s what I do. I just recently bought a power conditioner because my amp was making weird noises whenever I had the room AC on. Now with the amp and board connected to the conditioner, I just flip the switch off the conditioner when I’m done playing.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
The only thing to fear is having the house hit with lightning and you fry your electronics...
The answer to this is a lighting rod and a whole-house surge protector installed in the electrical panel, which is, IMO, the only surge protector that is not snake oil.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-16-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Here’s what I do. I just recently bought a power conditioner because my amp was making weird noises whenever I had the room AC on. Now with the amp and board connected to the conditioner, I just flip the switch off the conditioner when I’m done playing.
I have extension cables with 3 or 4 or 5 outlets. That gets me from the wall outlets to where I actually want to run something. I might even consider getting one that has a power switch on it.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-17-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I have extension cables with 3 or 4 or 5 outlets. That gets me from the wall outlets to where I actually want to run something. I might even consider getting one that has a power switch on it.
yeah ,I should probably make something up
Old 05-17-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
yeah ;I'm not sure if I can keep power to them all the time. I do have limited recpticles in that area. so i keep a lamp plugged in too. just have to keep bending over to unplug.
Alexa turns mine off and on at home. I walk into the room, and tell her to turn it on and when I walk out I tell her to turn it off. Same with the lamp. I use a surge protector that uses smart tecnology. I use the same technology throughout my house.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-17-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
yeah ,I should probably make something up
Bear in mind that you can use an on-off switch, install lightning rods, or turn your house over to Alexa, whatever makes you comfortable, but the real point here is that it's completely unecessary in any practical sense. Just leave them plugged in.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Man I would look into a surge protector with a long cord. Putting multiple things on extension cords with more than one outlet freaks me the hell out.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:39 AM

Keep all your pedals plugged into a board with surge protection... no problems I keep my my pedal board plugged in at all times. I currently run 9 BOSS pedals on one board all chained together and keep the PSA adaptor (with daisy chains) plugged into a surge protected board. never had a single issue in 5 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars