The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 01:53 PM
Guest 710

Default Modern equivalent to the Yamaha FG-180

Hello!

I’ve been obsessively researching a good budget guitar for myself the past weeks. I would like to find something very similiar to the feel of the Yamaha FG-180 but new.

So far I have, logically, though of the Yamaha FG-800, FG-800M and FS-800. Which would you say is the most similiar visually (finish, etc.), structurally (scale, side depth, string spacing, etc.) and audibly? Other brands are welcome too!

Last edited by Guest 710; 05-15-2021 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 05-16-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

FG800 or FG820. The FS bodies are smaller than FG.

The newer FG800 have walnut fingerboard and bridge, softer than the rosewood they - and the old FG180 - used to have.

The FG820 still has rosewood fingerboard and bridge. It has mahogany back and sides, like the old FG180. All the current FG models have solid spruce tops and scalloped bracing - the old FG180 and most of that era were laminated spruce tops.

I compared my recent FG800 to my ancient FG200 (very similar to FG180) and found the FG800's string spacing at the nut is 0.85mm wider, and at the saddle almost 4mm wider. I expect all the new FG would be the same.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:28 AM
Guest 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
FG800 or FG820. The FS bodies are smaller than FG.

The newer FG800 have walnut fingerboard and bridge, softer than the rosewood they - and the old FG180 - used to have.

I read that, and that it's dyed. Do you think it will stand the test of time or should I cough up the money necessary for the FG-820 (or perhaps just go for the FG800M even though it has walnut, but cheaper...)? Hopefully they haven't implemented any other cost-cutting measures since 2020, but if it's due to CITES then I guess it's resonable.

*Edit*
If I remember correctly the FG-8XX is 25.6" , while the FG-180 is 25" in scale like the FS-8XX.

Last edited by Guest 710; 05-17-2021 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Rephrased
Old 05-17-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlonyam View Post
I read that, and that it's dyed. Do you think it will stand the test of time or should I cough up the money necessary for the FG-820 (or perhaps just go for the FG800M)? Hopefully they haven't implemented any other cost-cutting measures since 2020, but if it's due to CITES then I guess it's resonable.
How much do you plan to play it, and how long do you plan to own it?

I owned an FG180 for almost 40 years, but only played it daily for a few years, and for some of those years it was played less than 100 hours. The fretboard and frets were in very good shape when i sold it. Whereas my guitar teacher had a D28 from the same year that had been refretted, and which had noticeable grooves/divots in the fretboard around the 2nd and 3rd fret under the E and B strings.

Most likely, the walnut fretboard will serve you well; but any fretboard can show wear if you play it enough.

The old FG180’s were great: they sounded good, they weren’t so pricy that you were reluctant to take them anywhere, and they were built to last.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:34 AM
Guest 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
How much do you plan to play it, and how long do you plan to own it?
I plan to play it daily and will probably own it as long as you owned your FG-180. I'm very jealous, they're hard to get and quite expensive in my country...

Perhaps I should go for the FG-820 if I plan to keep it a long time, but I'm not the biggest fan of bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I owned an FG180 for almost 40 years, but only played it daily for a few years, and for some of those years it was played less than 100 hours. The fretboard and frets were in very good shape when i sold it. Whereas my guitar teacher had a D28 from the same year that had been refretted, and which had noticeable grooves/divots in the fretboard around the 2nd and 3rd fret under the E and B strings.

Most likely, the walnut fretboard will serve you well; but any fretboard can show wear if you play it enough.

The old FG180Â’s were great: they sounded good, they werenÂ’t so pricy that you were reluctant to take them anywhere, and they were built to last.
Definitely. It all comes down to how you play and how much. A durable and not too pricey guitar that still sounds good is what I'm exactly looking for, which the FG-180 fulfilled in all aspects, especially the sound, as you described. If walnut is sufficiently durable, I think I'll go with the FG-800M. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Guest 710; 05-17-2021 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 05-17-2021, 06:40 AM

I wouldn't overthink the walnut fretboard. Yes it's softer than rosewood but it's not a soft wood like spruce or cedar. If you indeed play it a lot for many years you may start noticing some wear marks, it's just mojo in my opinion. My dads guitar is an all laminate Epiphone from the 70's, the fretboard is a stained softer wood, its very worn under some strings, still plays fine, just shows the many years of enjoyment he's had with it.

The fact Yamaha can still make the FG800 as cheap as they do is unreal, especially when guitars have gone up so much the past year and a half.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:52 AM
Guest 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I wouldn't overthink the walnut fretboard. Yes it's softer than rosewood but it's not a soft wood like spruce or cedar. If you indeed play it a lot for many years you may start noticing some wear marks, it's just mojo in my opinion. My dads guitar is an all laminate Epiphone from the 70's, the fretboard is a stained softer wood, its very worn under some strings, still plays fine, just shows the many years of enjoyment he's had with it.

The fact Yamaha can still make the FG800 as cheap as they do is unreal, especially when guitars have gone up so much the past year and a half.
I love hearing your remark on mojo. Wear marks really gives the guitar character and if you own it for a long time it's like a companion on a long journey! One of the reasons why I like the matte finish

Their quality control is definitely one of the best for the price. If you also consider how much guitar you get for the money in comparison to, let's say, 50 years ago with inflation in mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion