The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-17-2021, 05:34 AM

Default Drum kit in the house. Finally!

Well. This should be good for a laugh! My wife surprised me with one of them digital drum kits for my b-day (an Alesis Surge Mesh kit). She said I’ve always been wanting some kind of drum and she’s tired, I guess, of me tapping and banging on anything and everything when I hear music. As a bonus, especially to her, this is a “silent” kit so not “real” drums but that’s ok as I sure am not a “real” drummer anyway. She’s already calling me Ringo (not sure if it’s because of the drum or the nose!). Anyway , should be fun.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:39 AM

Congratulations, that should be a lot of fun.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 05-17-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Well. This should be good for a laugh! My wife surprised me with one of them digital drum kits for my b-day (an Alesis Surge Mesh kit). She said I’ve always been wanting some kind of drum and she’s tired, I guess, of me tapping and banging on anything and everything when I hear music. As a bonus, especially to her, this is a “silent” kit so not “real” drums but that’s ok as I sure am not a “real” drummer anyway. She’s already calling me Ringo (not sure if it’s because of the drum or the nose!). Anyway , should be fun.
Well, "Peace and Love!" then.

Let us know how you get on with the Alesis kit.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-17-2021, 11:05 AM

Congrats! I've dabbled with drums for years. At one time, I had two full acoustic kits set up in the music room.

Now, I'm down to one, with silent stroke heads and low volume cymbals to allow for playing any time of day or night. The silent stroke heads are a little bouncy compared to normal heads, but still totally workable.

I'll never be a great drummer, or even a good one. But I can keep a steady beat, add a few fills and turnarounds when called for, and fake my way thru a surprising number of songs.

It's what I want it to be - a fun "second instrument" for when I want a change of pace from guitar. I'm sure it'll be that for you, too.

Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2021, 11:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Whack those skins!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-17-2021, 11:32 AM

Your wife is very smart getting a silent drum kit. I'm an ex-drummer but I had a real drum set which annoyed my neighbors sometimes. Your neighbors will greatly appreciate it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic