The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-02-2018, 06:36 PM

Default VIGF & WILS 2018 - Paldacci Guitars

Hi everyone,

So, Here is a thread for the last shows of the year. I am honored to be invited at VIGF and WILS this year, and here is a little preview of guitars I will bring for these events:

For VIGF:

- OM Higuerilla & Carpathian Spruce
- OM Koa & German spruce

For WILS:

- OO-12 Honduran Mahogany Old Growth/Lutz
- OO-12 African Mahogany/Engelmann
- OM Claro Walnut/Sitka Bearclawed
- Grand Auditorium Wenge/Red Spruce.

Right now, the first guitar of the VIGF is done, and here it is (OM Higuerilla/Carpathian):

A little video to tease, with the marvellous François Pelletier:

https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.pa...2933579817673/

I will receive the OM Koa from my finisher tomorrow, she must be ready for the photoshot on August 6th, it will be tight but possible:

I will share a couple of pics of the WILS builts pretty soon, stay tuned!

Ben

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 08-02-2018, 09:23 PM

Nice looking guitars. How did you find the tone of higuerilla to sound like? Does it have the wet reverb and overtone and harmonic content of good rosewood?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:33 PM

I have tried a brand new bracing system, so it is hard to say if the Higuerilla really influence the sound I have, but the tone is super clear, like a great Braz set. Very Glassy in terms of color but again, I should have built with the double X bracing I've always used to say it with certitude.

The good point is that The Koa OM have the same bracing, with an european spruce for the top... so, it will be possible to compare both of them.

For me, in terms of sound, this is one of the best achievement I've produced. The Wenge OM was a beast, but this one is super special, definitely. In terms of Responsiveness, reverb, overtone and harmonics, no problem at all. Mike Baranik and Gustav Fredell builts guitars with this tonewood, and they apparently were pretty great

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

Old 08-03-2018, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Hi Ben ! Thanks for sharing the info about your guitars for the upcoming shows. Beautiful work !

As far as the question about Higuerilla, I'll chime in, since I have a Baranik 00m in Carpathian over Higuerilla, the same woods you have on one of your OMs, Ben.

It has a lovely voice, great clarity and responsiveness, with a warm, somewhat woody tone while still remaining clearly in the "modern"camp. Compared to the EIR Goodalls I used to have, the Baranik sounds less deep and cavernous, as if someone had turned the reverb down and moved the guitar a bit closer to the front of the mix. The music develops with more immediacy, if that makes any sense. The overtone content is also more restrained, which I prefer, because the guitar feels punchier, more direct.

How much of this is attributable to the tonewoods? No one can say, for sure. James Goodall and Mike Baranik have very different building styles and sonic goals. The builder makes a much bigger difference than the woods being used, in my experience. My Koa/Carpathian Retreux Parlor shares many attributes with the 00m (overall timbre, responsiveness, clarity, warmth, woodiness, immediacy) but in a smaller package. Too cool !

Anyway, I reckon that Higuerilla is as fine a tonewood for back and sides as many others, especially in the right hands. It can also be extremely pretty.

Take care, Ben, and enjoy the shows !
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 AM

Hey Deft, thanks you for your answer! Your description is pretty interesting and enlight some questions some AGF Members could have!

Enjoy your Baranik, cheers!

Ben

Old 08-04-2018, 06:38 PM

The OM Koa is arrived. I glued the bridge early this morning, she will sing for the first time Tomorrow! I am impatient to hear this one!

I will drive to Montreal to go to a photoshoot-session with my professional Photograph, Nadia Zheng, on monday. 3 guitars will be on her table! I am impatient to have those professional pics!

Last edited by BenjaminPaldacci; 08-04-2018 at 06:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop