The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
OK, just because you're two of my favourite anti-reverb AGFers...

Here's the dry version:

https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...ough-1/s-cexTK
Stunning!!

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

That is superb!

Quote:
Hi Roy,

Thanks so much for listening.

I really enjoy both guitars and I think the comparison might be a bit unfair as I didn't play/record the Kraut version very well. It was done a while ago and I have been polishing my approach since then.

You are also correct that the Kraut is tuned much lower -- and is actually strung up with heavies while the Olson comes with light strings.

A better comparison with the Kraut would be this sound clip here:

https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...allaithe-kraut

Same key, similar recording level.

And you are 100% right about the two guitars being very different -- and to me that is a good thing.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
+ 1

I think pieces like this work great with the extra reverb. It makes for a really wonderful atmosphere. It's not something I'd use to try to critique the sound of a guitar, but this thread is not about that.
Thanks for chiming in, Brian.

Your last line summarizes my thoughts exactly.

I'm not suggesting it's the best reverb on Earth -- but I wouldn't want to hear this track dry.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Oh, I wasn't trying to convince you to change your preferences And I think I can speak for everyone that's preferred or enjoyed the dry recording. But at the same time, you can see that a lot of people like the dry version and don't find it bland or uninteresting. But at the end of the day, this is YOUR music and YOUR recording and should be an expression of YOUR musical ideas.

Ok, now let me email Jim the private link to the dry recording... just kidding! Merry Christmas!
Hey Jon,

I know everyone's character well enough not to get offended.

But like I said, this is how I want to communicate my music. Some will like it more than others, and it is something I'm very comfortable with.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Mau,

As I said in my reply to your post in my recent S&T thread, I knew you & the Olsen would make beautiful music. I listened to both the reverb & dry and they both are unmistakenly Mau ie exquisite beauty. I do like the angelic dimension that the reverb brings, its magical and I too prefer listening to you specifically play with it on. It fits bro.

To be continued my friend,

"noel"dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Congrats on the guitar, Mau. It sounds wonderful. As you know, I'm in the pro-reverb camp.
Thanks for posting, guys.

Eric, love the magenta in your text. I hope you are not trying to make fun of the orchids on my website... LOL
Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarkoa599 View Post
Is this you playing your new guitar?
Yes of course.

I only borrowed Jim's photography for the build and studio pics -- but otherwise everything is from me.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Stunning!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
That is superb!
Thanks, Chris!

Love your quote from "The Boxer" BTW. It's a line I use in business meetings all the time when clients are being unreasonable...
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 PM

Unlike most people, I see my folks all the time so tonight's dinner wasn't particularly eventful. We had a nice meal and were thankful for yet another great year in this world.

I had brought the guitar with me and managed to take a few pictures:

Old 12-24-2012, 11:49 PM

Being an Olson owner

I fully appreciate the look on your custom headstock ... Being Asian I just love blings on my guitars
Old 12-25-2012, 12:53 AM
AGF Administrator

Beautiful...
Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 PM

Default One of my favorite threads!

Have enjoyed all the photos and glad my guitar may have inspired you!

Mine simple, yours deluxe...

But I DO love seeing all the photos...seem to not wanna see this thread end!

Like you, thankful and blessed!

Cheers!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 PM

Mau, I love your Olson. I'm not a big bling fan, but it really seems to work on your SJ. But, I especially like your recordings. I agree with you...your Kraut and your Olson do sound different, and I definitely like different sounds among my various guitars. What is consistent is the excellence of your playing, and I truly appreciate your willingness to share your music. Thank you very much!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 AM

Gents, thank you for your kind feedback.

I have spent quite a bit of time with the guitar and I am feeling more and more comfortable with it.

As much as I like bling myself, the more understated specs (e.g. the James Taylor Signature Model) are appealing to me as well. I'd like an Olson that would be my "player" and it obviously can't be the current one. I feel silly enough playing a vine inlay from my living room...

I wrote a new piece on the Olson tonight. It's not ready to be shared just yet but I will post a recording in a few days.

In the mean time, here are a few pictures:

Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 AM

Case looks great and works great -- but two of my knuckles are bleeding because of the stupid handle design.

From an ethical stand point, buy Hoffee if you can (I personally couldn't resist the branded case with the embossed logo -- sorry).

Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
The reverb is the default one, which I set to about 40%.
Great, as someone who strives to emulate your stellar recordings, now I have the magic figure for the reverb!

Quote:
I am planning to upgrade to a MacBook Air, Apogée Duet and a pair of condenser mics as soon as the MacBook Air becomes available with the Retina display. )
Interesting; I was using a Duet, M-Audio DMP3 and pair of Neumann KM184s until I heard your MiC/iPad setup. Sure the sound quality was better, but not by that much and the whole hassle of setting the thing up meant I had to plan each recording session in advance, so very difficult to be spontaneous (I had to drag the whole lot into a different room; the gear normally lived in my study, which was too small to record in). I sold everything except the Duet (great soundcard for my iMac) and got the MiC/iPad setup. So easy to setup and record; done in a couple of minutes. And far, far cheaper. The only thing I miss is stereo, so I might get another MiC for that.

I also feel that by getting good mics you're sort of committed to getting a good preamp; the pres on the Duet are OK but a long way off a standalone unit, even one as basic as the DMP3. I've tried Mackie Blackjack/Presonus/TC Konneckt 24; all good but can't touch a standalone pre...so that's another box to lug around. And it's very easy to spend big bucks on a pre...

Anyway, whatever you do Mau, it's going to sound fantastic. Have been listening to your Olson and Kraut this AM and very difficult to decide - Who needs to? - The performances are what matters. Both sound fantastic but I have a marginal preference for the Kraut, which seems to have a bit more "character" to my ears. It may be that "husky" voice you referred to - I like that. Less hi-fi, more woody. Great guitars, great playing

Cheers,
Steve
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop