The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Bone Saddle on a Resonator

I've been teaching myself slide/delta blues/Ry Cooder guitar for the last few years on a metal bodied single cone Regal for a few years now. I did upgrade the saddle once to an ebony/maple. It was a good upgrade and made a world of difference. Now, I'm thinking of switching to a bone, just to see what happens. Any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 AM

Try one of these:
http://www.forbiddenguitars.com/carb...uitBridge.html

I put one on my Regal Duolian and it's awsome!

Dan

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the reso thread. I got one about a month ago and am teaching myself some slide. I've thought about changing the bridge, so this thread came along at a good time.....Thanks.........The sound from a good resonator when you're playing "slide" is awesome.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 AM

I've also got one of Paul's cf biscuits ready to go into my 33H when I put the new NRP cone in it. Two thoughts, however - on many biscuits the "saddle" part is glued into the biscuit (on spiders it is just inserted into the spider) and might be hard to change, and second, at least on spiders, it has been said that John Dopreya experimented with about every material he could and kept coming back to plain old maple for the saddle. Most of the quality reso's on the market still use maple or ebony topped maple - must be a reason.

Whether it is a biscuit or spider, you still will have to cut the slots and do all the setup tricks if you do bone it. If your Regal has a stamped cone this would be a very good time to upgrade to a spun one (Quarterman or NRP) - the height might be different so you would only have to do the setup once.

Report back
Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM

Just a thought to muddy the waters a bit, but what about brass for a saddle?

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 11-01-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkydude50 View Post
Just a thought to muddy the waters a bit, but what about brass for a saddle?
I remember a thread on the IGS where someone tried it in a spider or a Weissenborn and didn't like it. I also think the Dopreya brothers tried it back in the 30's and came back to maple. However I would love to hear clips of one A/B'ed with wood - I plan to do that with the CF biscuit when I drop it in (unfortunately it will be a new cone too so it really won't be a fair test).

Remember that replacing the saddle in a reso requires a fair amount of work - shaping it, slotting for strings, doing the little vee trick (and the arguements about whether to go forward or backward) - then doing whatever cone setup is required. If it is a spider you need to tention the cone - for either you need to make some compromises for intonation depending on how you plan to play.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll try all of your suggestions. This is great, one more project to help me through the winter months.

Dug

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments