The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

It's the reverb.

I was able to recreate it at home. I run the guitar thru TD into my Schertler David. It sounds great clean. It sounds great with reverb on the channel @ about 25%. Once you get up around 50% a muddy tubbiness comes into play. I'm sure most guys at the controls are used to drenching piezo guitars with all sorts of FX to make them sound decent.

I have yet to fiddle with percentage of signal in the TD. I did it quick once and didn't find anything I liked better than full bore TD. I don't understand why i'd want to try. As I said once before, the pedal is trying to make a pigs ear into a silk purse. I don't understand how adding more pig could make it better.

I think the TD does a very good job of recreating the guitar. I do add a little bass EQ in the TD on my main guitar, but that's because the guitar is naturally a little shallow sounding. Not because of anything in the TD recreation.

I am interested in trying some post TD effects some time. Maybe some compression. But that'd be another FX unit. I don't expect the TD to do that.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Interesting enough. At the open mic last night I was explaining the pedal to a guy who is a nice player. He liked the idea, but then he started asking if you can make your guitar sound like any other guitar. Like a D28, or J45, or something. Can you model a D28 and then plug in a cheap guitar and make it sound like the D28?

I have a hard time with those kind of questions. Nobody gets the concept. Or we're all used to pedals that make those claims. But even the same pickup is going to act differently in each guitar. I would expect the TD would get confused and never get the cheapo guitar to sound like the D28. It might help the sound. But it won't recreate it.

And who would want to create a TD wave file of a cheapo plywood guitar? You'd be better off with a standard piezo and FX setup.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

This thread motivated me to pick up the Tonedexter.
To create the wave maps I used 3 guitars, 2 with a K&K mini and one with a Fishman UST,
and 2 mics. The mics were large diaphragm condensers (an AKG 414 and Neumann M149)
It is recommended that small diaphragm mics would work better but I do not currently have any

By far the most improvement was with the UST (Rainsong)
It definitely sounded more like a mic, with no quack. but still, there was something about the sound that came across as a bit processed. With that said, I could see using it with this guitar.

The K&K guitars also sounded more mic like. However. To my ears, when i bypassed tonedexter and dialed in the K&K mic, the dual source sounded more fluid and transparent then the tonedexter

I do like the tonedexter and when playing with a single source pick up it works well.
But I always prefer a dual source set up so I’m Not sure I’m going to keep it yet.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-16-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I have to say I've noticed a little chink in the armor. Meaning the sound i get with the ToneDexter in the field is boxier than I'd like. I suspect it's mostly a case of the sound guy adding reverb or effects he uses with every other guitar. Or the speakers or the room. But the result is my guitar doesn't sound exactly like my guitar when I hear it in the headphones on the ToneDexter. It's not as pleasing.
I have created a couple of wave maps with different mics, and so far I've found they each sound "better" when used with different PA systems, so I have been using both depending on circumstances.

Also, I think you're right about sound guys adding reverb, EQ, or other effects. I found that mine usually sounds best with no EQ applied.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-17-2018, 12:55 AM

I’ve not done much with mine. I recorded four wave maps using the basic positioning I record my guitar in. They all same pretty much the same - all very good!

I would recommend training in a non reverberant room but I think AS’s claim that the system is pretty room immune is a fair one.
Martin J40
Old 11-08-2018, 02:25 PM

I have a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power2 plus to power my pedal board. I see on Audio Sprocket's web site that they recommend this to power my TD. There is no information on how to configure the dip switches and/or bridge two outputs for more current draw. Does anyone have an idea of how to set this up?
Old 11-08-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
I have a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power2 plus to power my pedal board. I see on Audio Sprocket's web site that they recommend this to power my TD. There is no information on how to configure the dip switches and/or bridge two outputs for more current draw. Does anyone have an idea of how to set this up?
Judging from the manual (http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/ped...lus_manual.pdf), I would use ports 1-6 and leave the voltage selector switch in the "Normal" (off) position for 9v output.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Judging from the manual (http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/ped...lus_manual.pdf), I would use ports 1-6 and leave the voltage selector switch in the "Normal" (off) position for 9v output.

Thanks for the response.
The supplied wall wart that came with my TD is rated at 1 amp at 12 volts. Positions 1-6 won't provide enough current.
I just ordered a current doubler for bridging ports 5&6. If I change the voltage selector switches away from normal the manual says I should get 12V and 400 ma.

Does this sound right?
Old 11-08-2018, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
Thanks for the response.
The supplied wall wart that came with my TD is rated at 1 amp at 12 volts. Positions 1-6 won't provide enough current.
I just ordered a current doubler for bridging ports 5&6. If I change the voltage selector switches away from normal the manual says I should get 12V and 400 ma.

Does this sound right?
Our website does not mention this particular supply, though it may work. We call out the "Digital" and "Mondo" versions, and yes their names are a bit confusing. From their manual, you'll want to use a CURRENT DOUBLER cable. "Using this cable on outputs 5 and 6 with both switches set away from NORMAL will provide approximately 12V at 400mA." This is 4.8W and just might do it.

FYI, a current doubler cable is nothing more than a parallel connection, the same as a common daisy chain cable for powering multiple pedals from the same supply.

And I should add that there is no harm in trying any supply with voltage 15V or less. The worst that can happen is TD just won't work properly. It's pretty bullet proof.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 11-08-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
And I should add that there is no harm in trying any supply with voltage 15V or less. The worst that can happen is TD just won't work properly. It's pretty bullet proof.
I really like the way you design this. Either polarity and any voltage between between 9V and 15V. I suspect the electronics for this isn't all that complicated, but few manufacturers put much thought into supporting various power supplies.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-08-2018, 05:48 PM

[QUOTE=James May;5885085]Our website does not mention this particular supply, though it may work. We call out the "Digital" and "Mondo" versions, and yes their names are a bit confusing. From their manual, you'll want to use a CURRENT DOUBLER cable. "Using this cable on outputs 5 and 6 with both switches set away from NORMAL will provide approximately 12V at 400mA." This is 4.8W and just might do it.

The Voodoo Lab manuals for the Digital and the Mondo show a maximum of 12v and 400ma. -No difference compared with the model I have (with the current doubler cable).

Have the "Digital and "Mondo" versions proven acceptable?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=AxeDude;5885122]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Our website does not mention this particular supply, though it may work. We call out the "Digital" and "Mondo" versions, and yes their names are a bit confusing. From their manual, you'll want to use a CURRENT DOUBLER cable. "Using this cable on outputs 5 and 6 with both switches set away from NORMAL will provide approximately 12V at 400mA." This is 4.8W and just might do it.

The Voodoo Lab manuals for the Digital and the Mondo show a maximum of 12v and 400ma. -No difference compared with the model I have (with the current doubler cable).

Have the "Digital and "Mondo" versions proven acceptable?
Yes, we know those two work if you use a parallel CURRENT DOUBLING cable arrangement.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm sure most guys at the controls are used to drenching piezo guitars with all sorts of FX to make them sound decent.
I'm my experience it's guitar players who do this, sound guys are more likely to do some steep hi-mid cuts, apply some 3-1(ish) compression and lay off the FX, particularly in a busy band setup.

There has been talk that the TD takes away much of the aspect of the sound that will give the guitar presence in a band mix, I think this comes from inappropriate training. I have yet to try my TD at my own gig (not doing sound for others) but I expect to be using a variety of WMs for different scenarios and full band will be one of them.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:25 AM

Default Needs warming

So I'm still working on training. I only had an Audio Technica AT2020 to work with and not much time before rehearsal. I also had horrible Elixer coated strings on.

But even still it seemed pretty clear to me this wasn't going to be the holy grail I'd hoped. I switched semi-permanently to electric a couple of years back being so disappointed with acoustic live sound and not having much time to switch back and forth at the average gig anyway. So maybe I have nothing to compare the Ultra Tonic plus ToneDexter to...

Anyway I'm now thinking of playing it through my blues deluxe just to add some warmth. Also considering an ART tube pre or a second hand presonus acousti-Q.

Look, it certainly provides a near graphic EQ level of detail and mid-scoop. But the rattly living thing the guitar face is is still lost in translation. Also the tech who did the install said afterwards he wasn't that impressed with the soundboard wood of my old Jap Morris.

Another factor is obviously the powered monitor and also practice room PA I used weren't top notch by any stretch. But many venues won't be either.

So my instinct is to mess around with cheapish tube preamps to warm up the cold digital tone. Adding an acoustic amp seems a step too far given I'll have to cart my electric amp to many gigs.

If I pick up this second hand presonus tube pre I can at least consider adding another Pup down the line...

Any advice?!?

Last edited by andydepressant; 03-06-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:05 AM

Use a smaller font?
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification