The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Wayne, Swift, Aki, Boiler and Peter - Thanks again and the REAL congrats goes to Kevin, a super guy to work with and so good of him to share the pictures of all the behind scenes of "The Blackbird" coming together and most of all, the hard work and labor of love that went into making her.

This one even by pictures has exceeded expectations....amazing how he can continue to do that.

I wonder if there will be "drop down" menu option to select the "Commando/Blackbird Signature Model"
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Really one of the sweetest I've seen or will ever see... Wow it's going to be fun opening up that box for the first time.... Enjoy!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 PM

Commando,

That is probably the best looking guitar I have ever seen. The Brazilian is unbelievable. The details are incredible. Everything looks amazing. I'll bet it sounds fantastic.

Congratulations, I don't know how you're going to top that one!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:15 PM
*mahoganut*

I expected to be stunned, but this exceeds the expectation... Even with that "much" bling -- it's STILL understated and not 'loud'..

Will look eagerly forward to "the delivery and opening" pics and impressions..

Thanks for sharing. It's almost as much fun as being there. And half the calories :-).

rr/Phil
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

WOW!

That's absolutely Beautiful,
The details take that guitar way over the top!
And I mean that as the most sincere compliment to Kevin and You.

Now, it's time to make some music!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:37 PM

Hi dd/bruce/rio and nort -

Thanks and I agree with you all. I remember thinking with my first Ryan, "How on earth is he going to top all these Ryans I've played and the pictures of this stuff?"....well he blew me away the first time.

Ok, the second time around I'm thinking "How could it be better than my first Ryan?" and then he sends me pictures of it as it's developing and I'm thinking "Well maybe it CAN be better - looking at least since I haven't heard it". And then as The Blackbird is coming along I'm thinking "Man this is going to look awesome...I've got this one nailed."

Then I get this latest batch of pictures and I'm saying "OH MY GOODNESS!! Even better than my wildest dreams!" (Expectations which I just had elevated from pictures yesterday)

And now I'll wait for her to come home and after some time of letting her settle in I'll post something. (expect a 14 day turnaround for PM replies gang )
Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 PM

Man the bevel and flutes look great! Note to self,......got to get a Ryan with those features....(wish he offered it on the Abbey! ) The sound has just got to flow right up to your ears.

BTW,.....that brazilian is awesome,...........straighter grain than mine and a bit denser i suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
And now, close ups of the Bevel and Flutes as well as the Brazilian and the trim....YUMMY!

And yes....the grain is still old growth and straight even up close

Man I can't wait to

2010 Gagnon Acoustic Only 15" Archtop,
with 3-D Quited Maple & Bearclaw Spruce

Classicals:
2004 Tom Humphrey Millenium
Sakazo Nakade Classical
1982 Masaru Kohno Professional, Brazilian B/S
Martin C-TSH Classical (Tom Humphrey Bridge & Shellac Top Finish!)
1988 Don Banzer 625mm Scale Classical
2008 Johnny Walker Grand Concert Cutaway & Pickup
Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 PM

By the way...my Signature Series number is #88.

Very lucky in some asian cultures

ok ok .... it HAS to sound good now....
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 PM

690, Wow! Truly a work of art as a complement to the wonderful sound she will give you. I absolutely love my Nightingale, and though very different from yours, just as pleasing to the eye and unbelievable to the ear. I played her for a group I meet with on a monthly basis, and she received rave reviews. I cannot wait to hear an audio post or two of The Blackbird. You truly have one of Kevin's stellar guitars. And, given that all of his guitars are stellar, to have a stellar Ryan is art, beauty and sound to the nth degree. Congratulations!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Commando, I know how you were thinking. When I received my first Ryan, I was afraid he couldn't top it ... and the next guitar didn't really top it, but it was a great complement to the one I already had.

I really like how Kevin's photos have evolved over the years. I just hope his attention to camera equipment doesn't interfere with his guitar building. He has a really nice camera setup.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

In CRE di BLE
The man is a genius. Congrats on the most perfect guitar on the planet!

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Hi Mary and Joost - Many thanks from fellow Ryan owners, it's amazing how talented this guy is eh?

I got a few PMs about the TRC and here they are for comparison purposes. Kevin's "Signature Model" TRC looks like this (Blue Paua panels with MOP borders)...

And here's the "The Blackbird" Signature Model TRC (MOP panels and Blue Paua borders).....

Both are beautiful, and I really like what Kevin came up with for "The Blackbird". I especially like how the MOP panels flow with the nut - he has really nice taste.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Congrats! And thanks for letting us enjoy the journey with you.

I've given it a special home all by itself on Nightingale page 6 of the Ryan Shrine:
http://www.bevelsnob.com/RyanShrine/nightingale6.html
Old 01-09-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelsnob View Post
Congrats! And thanks for letting us enjoy the journey with you.

I've given it a special home all by itself on Nightingale page 6 of the Ryan Shrine:
http://www.bevelsnob.com/RyanShrine/nightingale6.html

Thanks Scott and big thanks to Kevin and Barb for sharing these pix of her along the way. Your site looks awesome man.....and it's cool that the Blackbird got it's own page!! Love it!

There may be another picture or two coming of a special little feature if you all are interested....if not I can stop now.:
Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Here's a very cool wallpaper that our very own bcaylor put together. I have this on my desktop now and it's so well executed. I love the beveled edges of the two side pictures as well as the choice of colors to compliment what is happening in the pictures. Also the blending from black to brown in the background is a really nice touch. Bruce you got talent bro - thanks again!

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop