The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 01:02 AM

There's really only one option and that's an Eastman E10d for mahogany, or E20d for rosewood. Try an E series, best guitars for the money. Absolutely amazing sound.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

See if you can find a Southern Jumbo to play. A big part of the difference between a D 18 and a J 45 is the scale length. The Southern Jumbo has more snap than a J 45. You might like it. Probably over the budget though.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Check your PM for Martin 18s at your price point.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
See if you can find a Southern Jumbo to play. A big part of the difference between a D 18 and a J 45 is the scale length. The Southern Jumbo has more snap than a J 45. You might like it. Probably over the budget though.
I thought SJ and J45 are identical except it’s cosmetics. What makes SJ have “more snap” than a J45?
Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 PM

By means of an update:

My guitar criteria shifted a little bit, in part due to a particular project I have coming up. I've decided I'd really like an acoustic with cutaway, preferably under 1800, and either with a pickup system already installed, or factoring in the purchase and installation of a pickup system into that 1800.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned how much I liked the Gibson J-15; I ended up getting one today (the cutaway model) from Guitar Center. Man, the neck on this thing just feels soooo good. I demoed dozens of guitars over the last few months, kinda lost interest for a while, and then dove back in this week. I mostly played Martins, Gibsons, and a few Guilds while I was shopping. I kept coming back to the J-15, hence the decision.

Upon getting it home, jamming with my girlfriend, and ultimately A/Bing the J-15 with my her Martin DM, I really felt my opinion totally shift on me. I felt like there was a huge chunk of mids I was missing from the Gibson that were in abundance on the Martin. Huh. Didn't expect to change my mind so soon. I keep coming back to how much I love the J-15 neck, both the shape and the feel. Her Martin isn't even a fancy one, but it packs a punch I'll admit I was missing from the Gibson. I guess things really sounded different for some reason at GC...

I'll mostly likely try to exchange for something else at GC, but now I'm feeling stumped as to what to go for. Any notable Martins with a cutaway in the mid 1000 range? Should I spend more time on Taylor?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

I sold my 2017 J15 last summer. It was better than my 2016 D18, which I also sold last summer, but my 2016 Larrivee SD40 and 2014 Gibson J35 are both better than the D18 and J15. Sometimes you need to live with them for awhile before you declare true love. And sometimes, that honeymoon is short lived.

You might want to find a Larrivee D40 in either rosewood or mahogany. The 40 Series has more of a Martin bracing pattern than the other Larrivees resulting in a tonal shift to mid range and bass responses. They are fantastic guitars and can be found with a cut away. I'd also consider a Taylor 310 with a cut away. The more recent 310s are braced for an emphasis in the low end. The 310 is also going to give you a similar neck profile to the J15.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:37 AM

Digitalshrub...

I'm in NYC too. Go to the Sam Ash on 34th and 9th. They have every Taylor/Martin/Gibby under the sun!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Digitalshrub...

I'm in NYC too. Go to the Sam Ash on 34th and 9th. They have every Taylor/Martin/Gibby under the sun!
I took your advice (after returning J-15 to GC) and spent a ton of time playing guitars at Sam Ash. Long story short, nothing felt perfect to me. The Gibsons I played all felt great in my fretting hand, but a shade quiet and scooped. The amartins had the sound I liked the most, but such shallow necks. The Taylors I played were all very nice but they were almost all Grand Auditoriums which isn’t necessarily what I’m looking for. Not surprisingly, they took to fingerstyle very naturally, but felt like they lacked the boom I wanted from strumming.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for Larrivees or anything that comes up on Craigslist. But for the time being, it feels like it’s back to the drawing board.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I sold my 2017 J15 last summer. It was better than my 2016 D18, which I also sold last summer, but my 2016 Larrivee SD40 and 2014 Gibson J35 are both better than the D18 and J15. Sometimes you need to live with them for awhile before you declare true love. And sometimes, that honeymoon is short lived.

You might want to find a Larrivee D40 in either rosewood or mahogany. The 40 Series has more of a Martin bracing pattern than the other Larrivees resulting in a tonal shift to mid range and bass responses. They are fantastic guitars and can be found with a cut away. I'd also consider a Taylor 310 with a cut away. The more recent 310s are braced for an emphasis in the low end. The 310 is also going to give you a similar neck profile to the J15.
I agree on test driving a Larrivee and would try a couple of their "L" models as well as a "D". You might also want to compare Mahog vs RW versions. There are usually some great deals on gently used Larrivees around, but new ones can be had for <$2000.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:30 PM

I will admit I did not read anything but the first and last pages of this thread. Has anyone mentioned the Martin GPCE Black Walnut? Grand Performance size Cutaway with Electronics? Fishman electronics, amberburst color, priced at $2099 MAP.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-27-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I will admit I did not read anything but the first and last pages of this thread. Has anyone mentioned the Martin GPCE Black Walnut? Grand Performance size Cutaway with Electronics? Fishman electronics, amberburst color, priced at $2099 MAP.
I can’t remember if that particular model came up, and I don’t know if I’ve played that one. I did play another Grand Performance size from the Performing Artists series (I *think* it was the GPCPA4). I liked it well enough, but it felt closer to a Taylor in style, and not as driving/punchy as the Martin dreads I’ve played.

I think I’m beginning to realize I’m tough to please...
Old 11-27-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalshrub View Post
Totally. Luckily there's no shortage of guitars to try out here in NYC, though it's not quite the same as living down the street from Elderly...

I'm sure I'll demo a slew of guitars to make sure what I think I want is what I actually want.
NYC is not what it used to be in regards to music stores but there are still some options. Off course there is Guitar center and Sam Ash. There’s also Rudy’s which has some sweet guitars but their prices are high (but they have high end guitars) There’s Also the Music Zoo out on the island and they have a nice selection hanging on the wall. They do price match

Play them all,even ones you can’t afford.

Also, sending you a message.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-27-2018, 07:37 PM

It’s funny how it really is a matter of personal taste. I don’t find the J-15 lacking in mids at all. More than rosewood and less than mahogany, but I find that about right. And all mahogany, for me at least, is midrange dominant at the expense of highs and snap. If I did want more mids on my J-15, I might first try maybe some phosphor bronze strings instead of the 80/20s it comes strung with.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Even my AJ Custom Shop has a powerful midrange with the EIR back and sides. Probably has more to due with the construction of the guitar I'm guessing but it makes for a well balanced Gibson voice that I really find appealing. Nothing like my EIR square shoulder dreads.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-27-2018, 07:51 PM

From the description in your OP, you and I have very similar playing styles and tastes. I own both a J-45 and a D-28, and love them both. However, if I had to have just one, it would be the J-45 without any question. It just suits my playing style and singing range; it’s the “right” guitar for me.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blueridge, dreadnaught, guild, martin