The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Amplifying a D12

Recommendations for amping a high-end slope shouldered D12. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 02-15-2020, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
Recommendations for amping a high-end slope shouldered D12. Your thoughts are appreciated.
By amplifying, does that mean it already has a pickup, or are you wondering what pickup recommendations? Is the D12 a Santa Cruz?

All else being equal, I'm a big fan of the Schatten HFN with putty install. Completely non invasive (except the end pin hole of course) and passive. I think it is the most natural sounding SBT pickup. It requires a good external preamp for sure. We play it to high volumes at our church and it can cut through with live drums and electric, so it is versatile.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-16-2020, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I recently bought a 12 fret slope shouldered Martin D-1 custom. I used to go the K&K route for the longest time but I always struggled to get great tone and combat feedback. Since I mostly gig with Cole Clark guitars these days I decided to just go with a sound hole pickup for the D-1 for now. I've got the Schertler AG-6 Magnetico with the S-MIC internal mic. It's okay. A little better than just a plain mag sound hole pup but it's also active, so battery powered and left me high and dry once already. I might go with a Dimarzio Black Angel passive and be done with it. The D-1 is a mostly at-home guitar anyway and only rarely makes a showing at an open mic. You sacrifice some tone with a sound hole pup but you also don't have to deal much with feedback. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it and how much you're willing to deal with outboard EQ and whatnot.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Very happy with K&K / Tonedexter on my D12.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
By amplifying, does that mean it already has a pickup, or are you wondering what pickup recommendations? Is the D12 a Santa Cruz?

All else being equal, I'm a big fan of the Schatten HFN with putty install. Completely non invasive (except the end pin hole of course) and passive. I think it is the most natural sounding SBT pickup. It requires a good external preamp for sure. We play it to high volumes at our church and it can cut through with live drums and electric, so it is versatile.
Thanks for everyone's replies. I am talking about a pickup. I'm not versed in amplification jargon, as if that's not already apparent . I actually have 2 D12s. I was looking for a pickup for the McAlister, but have toyed with the idea of putting a pickup the Santa Cruz D12 12 string as well.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification