The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-01-2019, 07:01 AM

Default 12-String Guitar Commision?

Hey Guys, have any of you commissioned the building of a 12-string guitar? If so, would please post some pictures and/or comments about the result of the build?

I’m asking as I’m thinking about selling some guitars in order to finance a custom build. Right now, I’m thinking of a simple 12-fret to the body mahogany neck, with hog back and sides and a spruce top in a dreadnaught body shape.

Thanks in adavance for any replies 🙂
Old 02-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like a pretty vanilla spec list. Are you sure you need a custom build and can't find one off-the-shelf?

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM

I commissioned a Ryan 12 string a number of years back. Still playing her, and it's still the best 12 string I've played thus far.

Ryan 12 string all koa
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 02-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyman View Post
Hey Guys, have any of you commissioned the building of a 12-string guitar? If so, would please post some pictures and/or comments about the result of the build?

I’m asking as I’m thinking about selling some guitars in order to finance a custom build. Right now, I’m thinking of a simple 12-fret to the body mahogany neck, with hog back and sides and a spruce top in a dreadnaught body shape.

Thanks in advance for any replies ��
I did once, it was a 12 fret - like a Martin D12-20. I can't show you a picture because it imploded in weeks and the luthier gave me my money back ... long time ago.

12 fret dread 12 string ? Look for a used D12-20 and pay a luthier to make it good - this is mine, a '64 rebuilt by Martin in '98, and "blinged" up with a x35 trim.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:34 PM

I'm not seeing that many mahogany 12-string dreads out there, except at the low end. I'm assuming you want custom built to get something that fits your preferences as far as neck shape, nut width, tone, etc. - I say go for it. I know Steve Kinnaird builds 12-strings - in fact he has one for sale right now, or has had recently. He builds fine guitars at fairly reasonable prices - you might contact him.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyee View Post
I commissioned a Ryan 12 string a number of years back. Still playing her, and it's still the best 12 string I've played thus far.

Ryan 12 string all koa
Thanks for the link. That is stunning. Kevin does amazing work.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
It sounds like a pretty vanilla spec list. Are you sure you need a custom build and can't find one off-the-shelf?
Fazool has a good point. There is incredible variety in the custom built world. Lots of builders making great guitars but they each have their own take on it and as a result the characteristics of the guitars vary a lot. As an example, go to the Dream Guitars website and search for 12 string....amazing variety, with small factories and many single luthiers represented.

So I'd rephrase Fazool’s comment and suggest that if you want a custom build you first find the custom builder(s) that make the style of guitar that you really like, and then talk to those builders about a 12 string.

If we knew more about the guitars you currently like to play we could maybe be a bit more specific with our suggestions.

Col
Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

On USA Ebay right now there is a '74 D12-20 with a dealer in New York which meets your criteria, has had a neck resent and looks to be in magnificent condition.

$2000 is the ticket price.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I did once, it was a 12 fret - like a Martin D12-20. I can't show you a picture because it imploded in weeks and the luthier gave me my money back ... long time ago.

12 fret dread 12 string ? Look for a used D12-20 and pay a luthier to make it good - this is mine, a '64 rebuilt by Martin in '98, and "blinged" up with a x35 trim.

That sounds awesome, Andy.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Hello Everyone. Thanks for the posts, pm’s, emails and video! I’m going to work on raising the funds. The amount I can generate will determine what I do 😉
Old 02-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Mine was made by Nick Appollonio. He has made over a thousand instruments, most of them double coursed, yet he is not well known here (not so in other places). You won't find anyone who makes them at less cost either. And he is great to work with, will try anythingl

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop