The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 09:09 AM

Default 12 fret vs. 14 fret

I have not done any research, so I cannot give specific references, but...

A) Does any company (Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Collings, etc.) build identical 12 fret and 14 fret models?

B) In a blind test of identical guitars, would you expect any perceptible difference in tone or volume between the 12 fret and 14 fret models?
Old 01-18-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

12 fretters tend to be more resonant in my experience. The whole body of the guitar seems to vibrate whereas 14 fretters feel a tad bit stiffer all around
Old 01-18-2021, 09:14 AM

By definition it would be impossible for any maker to produce identical guitars with the only distinction being a 12th or 14th fret neck to body join.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
By definition it would be impossible for any maker to produce identical guitars with the only distinction being a 12th or 14th fret neck to body join.
^^^^ This. What were you hoping for?
Old 01-18-2021, 09:54 AM

A) Does any company (Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Collings, etc.) build identical 12 fret and 14 fret models?

Taylor's 322 model was/is? offered in both 12 and 14 fret

B) In a blind test of identical guitars, would you expect any perceptible difference in tone or volume between the 12 fret and 14 fret models?

Absolutely yes. Since I got hooked on 12 frets about 8 years ago I've lost my taste for the 14 fret tone - they sound too thin to me now. With the bridge lowered 2" or so down to the sweet spot of the lower bout there's a lot more bass and mid-range tones as well as increased volume.

IMHO 12 frets work better for fingerpickers instead of strummers which might be why they're kind of a niche model to most folks.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:15 AM

^^^^^^^ This is what I was hoping for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
^^^^ This. What were you hoping for?
Old 01-18-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post

Taylor's 322 model was/is? offered in both 12 and 14 fret

Absolutely yes. Since I got hooked on 12 frets about 8 years ago I've lost my taste for the 14 fret tone - they sound too thin to me now. With the bridge lowered 2" or so down to the sweet spot of the lower bout there's a lot more bass and mid-range tones as well as increased volume.

IMHO 12 frets work better for fingerpickers instead of strummers which might be why they're kind of a niche model to most folks.
When shopping for my Taylor 322 I compared both the 12 fret and 14 fret versions of the 322 directly. Taylor shifts the bridge toward the tailpiece and adds 2 more frets at the upper bout to the 14 fret version.

If anyone wants to see the actual difference between the 322 in both a 12 fret and 14 fret version they can use the "compare" feature at the Taylor website to see them side by side.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/compare

The sound was close enough that I went with the 14 (no cutaway / no pickup installed) because I often capo at the 7th fret so the additional real estate of the 14 fret neck was important to me.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-18-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:36 AM

I once attended Taylor's road show at local dealer's store.
The 322 is offered as 14 and 12 fretter.
Both have the same scale so the saddle of the twelve fretter
is better centered on the bottom bout of the top : It vibrates more.
And the price is higher : I own a less expensive no mic 14 fretter.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:44 PM

I have an Larrivee L-03Z which is a 14 fretter and a C-03R TE which is a 12 fretter, so not identical in terms tonewoods but have the same body measurements minus the florentine cutaway on the C-03R. The C-03R has rosewood back and sides and the L-03Z has zebrawood back and sides, which is similar sounding to rosewood. All that said, the C-03R is noticeably louder and fuller than the L-03Z, which is by no means a quiet guitar. When I play the C-03R after my wife goes to bed, I actually have to play much quieter for fear of waking her up because you definitely don't want that to happen.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmccamey View Post
I have not done any research, so I cannot give specific references, but...

I know Taylor does.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 01-18-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
I know Taylor does.
No, they are not identical. The bridge of each is in a different position. There is no way to have an identical 12 and 14 fret guitar. If you move the place on the string that the fret board joins the body, then either the bridge is in a different place, or the body is a different shape. Basic geometry.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 PM

You are taking things too literally. Do they make "the same - equivalent - same or similar design, materials, woods, build construction" guitar in a 12 fret and 14 fret configuration? Apparently, based on other posts, Taylor and Larrivee do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
No, they are not identical. The bridge of each is in a different position. There is no way to have an identical 12 and 14 fret guitar. If you move the place on the string that the fret board joins the body, then either the bridge is in a different place, or the body is a different shape. Basic geometry.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:

I don't think you got the point of the thread. Of course they'd be different. He means that a particular model can come in a 14-fret string and a 12-fret setting. And Taylor has that option.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 01-19-2021, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, they are not identical. The bridge of each is in a different position. There is no way to have an identical 12 and 14 fret guitar. If you move the place on the string that the fret board joins the body, then either the bridge is in a different place, or the body is a different shape...
That is shown in this post comparing 12 and 14 frets on two guitars that are otherwise rather similar:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...&postcount=188
I did not like the distance between the bridge where I rested my picking hand, and the mellow area of the strings up behind the sound hole.
And I did not like the 12 frets when using a capo to maintain a chord shape up the neck or to sing in a certain key. Capo-ing up five did not leave enough frets.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:34 AM

Generally when a 12 feet is built
They move the bridge back
To a more central location
On the guitars top. Producing
A more rounded tone.
This is what enamoured me
to 12 fretters. Add a cutaway
And access to more frets
Makes these guitars more playable.
I own 3 acoustics. 2 are 12 frets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion