The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2020, 06:31 AM

I went guitar shopping yesterday and came across a few that may fit the bill. I was very impressed by the Yamaha A series guitars. I don't think the beat up guitar idea will work for me because I don't want pity to play a part in my park performances. There are some guitars that simply sound better to my ears and go with my style. I'll choose a few of those.

The point of this whole thread is my realization that a good accompaniment guitar need not break the bank and it could very well be the one that cost the least. No, there isn't one magical guitar, but I don't think that all guitars would work well either.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove

Last edited by highvibrational; 12-15-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM

My Taylor 814ce seems to be a good "singer-songwriter" guitar. It's the guitar I use the most and I've had it for about 15 years!

Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-17-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_day View Post
I always feel that you just need a guitar that you enjoy the sound of and inspires you to play. That could be anything really. I think that's part of the reason we are all searching so frequently.
Best answer to this question and lots of others.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captwingflap View Post
Best answer to this question and lots of others.
My question is, why do we keep looking and buying when we already have our bases covered?
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 12-20-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
My question is, why do we keep looking and buying when we already have our bases covered?
I think it's because I love the thrill and excitement that comes with getting a new guitar. It's exciting and makes me feel really good. After a few months, the excitement of having that new guitar wears off and I start looking for something else.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-20-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Bluegrassers are a finicky crowd when it comes to gear. At any given BG jam, every guitarist is likely to have a Martin-esqu D-style guitar and every mandolin player a sunburst F-style mandolin.
That's not all....nowadays you'd better have a single-flange Gibson Mastertone if you're a banjo player, and a Sheerhorn of you're a reso player. It's funny how any fiddle will do, and just about any bass (skewed slightly in favor of the old Kay plywood models).

None of the "any guitar will do" discussions above address guitar tone as a factor. Maple, mahogany, rosewood, koa...they all sound different. The various spruces, cedar, mahogany, and koa tops all sound different. Bracing systems all sound different. There are too many factors to list.

I suggest that the "any guitar will do" advocates might gain some additional information from self-recording and playback with guitars producing various tones. My voice and playing style match up best with a mahogany top. As noted above, I don't especially like the situation, but there's no gain in fighting the feedback I get from my videos and my audiences. As for those who argue "your guitar is basically invisible and not a factor"....it's not invisible when you're watching and hearing yourself on videotape or obviously getting more audience appreciation using one instrument directly compared to another.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:20 PM

What, exactly, would keep one from writing a song and then performing it on any guitar one might use?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 12-21-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I think it's because I love the thrill and excitement that comes with getting a new guitar. It's exciting and makes me feel really good. After a few months, the excitement of having that new guitar wears off and I start looking for something else.
In other words, it's like a being an addict, right? I guess the only solution is to trade in or sell guitars to offset the buying. Space is an issue for me.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 12-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Yes you can write a song on any guitar, but when referring to a Singer / Songwriter Guitar we're talking about a performing guitar. It needs to be a guitar that supports the singer's voice rather than competing with it. For me this is usually a vintage voiced mahogany backed guitar. My J-45 and my 000-17 sit in this pocket really well for me. Some folks will be more comfortable with a rosewood backed guitar, others with a carbon fiber guitar. Each person just needs to find the one that works for them. Personally I would love to find the perfect "this is me" guitar. One that I always reach for, the one that would make me stop looking. But it's probably never going to happen.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-21-2020, 12:28 PM

But we see many performers singing while playing dreads, parlors, double 0s, triple-0s, jumbos, concert-sized, OMs, guitars with holes in wrong places, holes plugged, and more.

We're multi-paging this thread, and if you go post by post and jot down every make and model mentioned, it's like the Noah's ark for guitars.

What did Dylan write on for the first 200 tunes? How about Seth Avett? Van Morrison? Steve Earl? Sheryl Crowe?

It was whatever they had. Whatever they liked to play.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 12-22-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been buying and selling guitars for the last 16 years always looking for that perfect singer/songwriter accompaniment. I’m 100% a strummer so I stayed away from guitars that favored finger style players. A few months back a friend I play with (we were outdoors) suggested my next purchase should be an OM-28. Of course I went home and bought one. I think even before it arrived I made a low ball bid on a beautiful 2015 custom OM-35 on Reverb. The bid was accepted. When the 28 and 35 arrived I decided to keep the 35. The search is over.
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021
Old 12-22-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I am a singer songwriter and guitar is my main instrument. A voice is like a second instrument so it pays to listen to how the two sound together. I have several guitars and enjoy variety. If I was technically a better guitar player and a more controlled singer, I probably could play one guitar and bring out the variations in each in a harmonious manner. However, I appreciate having multiple guitars that sound different with my voice - either playing with a guitar's overtones or using my vibrato in concert with a guitar with more fundamental tone.

Bottom line is that your ears, hands and voice will tell you what is best for you, your singing, your style, and what you want to express through your music.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-25-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I am a singer songwriter and guitar is my main instrument. A voice is like a second instrument so it pays to listen to how the two sound together. I have several guitars and enjoy variety. If I was technically a better guitar player and a more controlled singer, I probably could play one guitar and bring out the variations in each in a harmonious manner. However, I appreciate having multiple guitars that sound different with my voice - either playing with a guitar's overtones or using my vibrato in concert with a guitar with more fundamental tone.

Bottom line is that your ears, hands and voice will tell you what is best for you, your singing, your style, and what you want to express through your music.

Best,
Jayne
I feel the same way. All of my 13 guitars go well with my voice and I believe it was a natural instinct that helped me choose them. They are all of different tone woods, sizes and builds and yet they all fit. It's a joy to have many to choose from; it makes playing more fun!
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 12-25-2020, 09:38 AM

Lots of responses here and I haven't read them all. As a mediocre guitar player and an even more mediocre singer, playability and ease of singing with a guitar are important to me. Best I've found so far for vocal accompaniment are my Martin 000-15M and Seagull Folk cedar. The Martin is a bit quiet but can be plugged in if needed and sounds great amplified. The Seagull has a quick decay that I find easy to sing to. Both seem to be pretty durable so I don't mind leaving the house with them and playing out. They are night and day different with respect to nut width and neck shape, but I am comfortable playing both. I could probably have only these two and be content. But what's the fun in that?
Old 01-02-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Busking revelation and Yamaha Red Label

Hi all,
I had my most successful busking session yesterday using an Epiphone FT-150 BL, which I had a found on the street a few years ago. Somehow the maple tone suits me and I enjoy playing it. I gave it my all - heart, soul, guts and that's what did it. It wasn't about my guitar.

Today, I traded in my Yamaha A1R for a FGX3 Red Label and am in hog heaven. Got to start the year off right, meaning with guitars that I really love.

Happy 2021 everyone!
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion