The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-05-2019, 10:45 PM

Default Guitar supports

I've developed pressure on my sciatic nerve, which has resulted in a pulsing feeling in my left foot, as if I'm feeling a vibration (like putting your hand on a hard drive while it's spinning). Not painful, and relatively subtle.

After talking it through with my doctor, it seems obvious this is from playing guitar with my left foot on a foot stool, with more of my weight on my left butt-cheek.

I'm already using supports instead of a foot stool. But I really am not crazy about using a support on my better guitar. As in suction cups. I haven't tried something as basic as the cushion type of support that sits on your knee.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:37 PM

I have used the guitar cushion type support before. They are serviceable but may not be as secure as the suction cup type and they are not adjustable.

I have used the Sageworks guitar support system and it is superb. Employing powerful rare earth magnets (so it is not suitable if you have a pacemaker installed in your body) and guitar finish safe cork pads at its ends, the support will attach to the body of your guitar without any damage to the finish, provided you put it on properly.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 AM

Stand and play.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:04 AM

If the foot stool isn't working, I'd recommend playing at a table with the guitar propped up on the table so that one bout sits on your right leg and the other bout sits on the table. Fernando Sor advocated this as the best position long ago in his method. Works great for me. Very stable if you put one of those non-slip cloths on the edge of the table. You can have the guitar centered and high enough without contorting the body. I also find the traditional flamenco playing position where the guitar is held up by only the right arm and right thigh can be a good alternative to footstools and guitar supports.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I have used the guitar cushion type support before. They are serviceable but may not be as secure as the suction cup type and they are not adjustable.
I've used a Dynarette for years (I'm not affiliated). It seems wobbly at first, but you quickly get used to it, after which it feels as secure as a footstool. The cushion is not adjustable, but this brand comes in large and small sizes, and there would be variation among other brands.

John R.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Stand and play.
Not really an option for classical.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I have used the Sageworks guitar support system and it is superb.
I have one of these on my parlor guitar... but it does mar the finish. They did send me a new cork pad, but the damage is done. Other than that, I do like it.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

I also have the SageWorks Support, one for my Bill Brunton classical guitar, and one for my Huss & Dalton 00 (essentially a steel string version of a classical guitar - 1 7/8" wide nut and 2 5/16" wide saddle string spacing, 12 fret). I have one each of the taller and shorter supports, and find I like the shorter one better for my body size.

One of the magnets in my classical guitar came loose and was rattling around inside. That guitar has lattice bracing, which consists of a whole lot of little braces. I was concerned that even if I reinstalled the magnet, it could come loose again so I removed the whole thing.

The Huss & Dalton seems fine with the SageWorks support, so I will leave it in that one.

In the past, I have tried several different suction cup contraptions, as well as the Dynarette. I didn't like any of them because they just didn't feel solid. For an expensive guitar, that uncertainty is just not a good thing.

The most stable support I have ever found is a strap. The problem is that I just can't bring myself to put strap buttons on such beautiful instruments.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-14-2019, 05:12 PM

Another fan of the Sage Works support. Although when I purchased mine it was known as the Kris Barnett support. I have the magnets installed in my classical as well as my flamenco guitar and have had them installed for 4 + years. I couldn't be more pleased.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical