The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 05:11 PM

Default Taylor Aficionado Opinions needed

So I've been looking to replace my Faith Hi Gloss Venus recently which I've had for over 10 years.

Tried some Taylors that I liked pre covid (600-800 series), but never got to A/B with my Faith and my Fishman Platinum Pro. Was debating getting one without the electronics and putting a LR Baggs Anthem in due to the ES2 being polarizing, but that's a thread for another day.

Fast forward to now 3 lockdowns later in the UK, and I see that the 814ce DLX's are being discontinued so are on sale.

I've been debating get one before stock runs out, but obviously cannot go to a store and play anything due to lockdown.

Then decided to do more research and found some equally nice looking custom GA one offs and BTO's listed in various places for the same money as an 814ce DLX.

Has anyone had any hands on experience with the custom GA's vs the 800s? I've historically been a spruce/Rosewood guy but intrigued by some of unique wood blends in the custom GA's (Lutz/Honduran RW, Sikta/Koa, Sikta/Cocobolo).

I know the smart answer is to wait and try them out, along with any Lowdens/Martins/Collings etc, but conscious the 814 dlx stock - or these one off GA's may not be around by the time lockdown (and the Tier system) have relaxed.

Thoughts?

TL;DR - looking for a high end electro acoustic with a cutaway but can't try anything out due to covid
Old 01-17-2021, 05:48 PM

I love Taylor guitars, and they're what I use, but there's no way I'd buy one without playing it first. I've played exponentially more Taylors I didn't like than ones I did.

Well, with one exception, if I could get a GREAT deal on it, and not be upset if it doesn't sound as good as I wanted it to. If you can get your money back out of it, that would minimize the risk.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Lightbulb GA vs GS , and custom vs 800

Hi,

I've had opportunity to try several GA and GS body Taylors over the past few months.

If you haven't yet, I'd suggest giving a GS body a listen. Taylor guitars have had a reputation for being balanced towards treble, even in the GA size -- the GS body really makes a dramatic difference to add depth to the tone, at least to me.

However, that was for the X braced guitars. When given the option to go v braced or X, I chose X, for the fullness of sound.

The custom (BTO) GA or GS vs 800 series is essentially a battle of tonewoods, whichever gives you the sonic profile you're after. The 800 series pack some value in the appointments / inlays / binding quality, however.

There are some used X braced available, and if I were buying one, which I did, I'd certainly compare an X braced to a V class before finalizing my decision.

I listened to a couple Taylors very carefully before placing my custom order (for a Taylor without electronics). That said, the ES2 pickup has been very good for jam sessions.

-a.h.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 01-17-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Edited by member.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 02-08-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:58 AM

Yeah I think there is two strands to this:

1) Can I wait until post lockdown/tiered restrictions so I can try stuff out before these models have been sold

2) Finding the right Taylor/Competitor model for me and my playing style

I think 1) will be harder than 2)
Old 01-18-2021, 09:35 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP_357 View Post
So I've been looking to replace my Faith Hi Gloss Venus recently which I've had for over 10 years.

Tried some Taylors that I liked pre covid (600-800 series), but never got to A/B with my Faith and my Fishman Platinum Pro. Was debating getting one without the electronics and putting a LR Baggs Anthem in due to the ES2 being polarizing, but that's a thread for another day.

Fast forward to now 3 lockdowns later in the UK, and I see that the 814ce DLX's are being discontinued so are on sale.

I've been debating get one before stock runs out, but obviously cannot go to a store and play anything due to lockdown.

Then decided to do more research and found some equally nice looking custom GA one offs and BTO's listed in various places for the same money as an 814ce DLX.

Has anyone had any hands on experience with the custom GA's vs the 800s? I've historically been a spruce/Rosewood guy but intrigued by some of unique wood blends in the custom GA's (Lutz/Honduran RW, Sikta/Koa, Sikta/Cocobolo).

I know the smart answer is to wait and try them out, along with any Lowdens/Martins/Collings etc, but conscious the 814 dlx stock - or these one off GA's may not be around by the time lockdown (and the Tier system) have relaxed.

Thoughts?

TL;DR - looking for a high end electro acoustic with a cutaway but can't try anything out due to covid
Hi Ben, (assuming that's your name )

You're in an unusually unique situation with the lockdowns, etc. With the size of financial commitment involved in a high-end guitar purchase, it's always risky to buy something without playing it first -

I own an 814ce DLX V-brace and it is a wonderful guitar. However, guitars vary from instrument to instrument, and tastes vary from guitarist to guitarist. I would suggest waiting it out until lockdowns are a thing of the past - which may be a long wait, but with the amount of money you're willing to spend it might be wisdom to wait on a purchase until you can actually play these guitars. Yes, the 814ce DLX V-class is on sale now because it's being discontinued, but still - why spend that much cash on something so uncertain?

That being said, I'll add the comment that my Taylor 814ce DLX V-class is by far and away the best guitar I've ever played, much less owned, in my 50 years as a guitarist. I would think it's hard to go wrong with it - but, again, it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 01-18-2021, 10:40 AM

Default another viewpoint: not BUT - more like AND

Something I've been wanting to get off my chest and this thread is bringing it out, so bear with me.

I will preface this by saying that I come from a different perspective than most posters here. Not that I disagree with them all, just there are other approaches to choosing and playing the guitar than to continually try to find the perfect one. I'm no different in my pursuit of holy grail tone, but I'm different in the fact that I'm doing it with the guitars I have, rather than looking for it in the guitars I don't have.

I like to start with a guitar as a blank slate with not a lot of its own character, but balanced and, dare I say, somewhat generic. Most Taylors have this quality, which many players do not like, because they want instant rapport and character. I see it differently. Once you have a new instrument, you begin a relationship. The characteristic sound that grows from evolving adjustments is a unique voice which is earned over time. Your preferences in string tension/gauge/alloy, picks, playing style, the bond you form over time, shape the sound.

I feel too many of us are too picky and never give some guitars a real chance. I'm down to two guitars because I go deeper, not broader with my toolbox. I want the tools I use to be as sharp as possible and I can't devote enough time and effort to do justice to more guitars than that.

So as an admitted outlier here, my recommendation is to get the guitar that you are drawn to immediately, and as long as it is ergonomically compatible for you and sounds close to what you like, you have enough to get started. It only gets better from there as the bond strengthens and you learn its unique tradeoffs, and you can massage the sound you like from it. Then play it a lot, and listen carefully. Play facing a corner or a wall so you can hear all the nuances, and concentrate on working out a tone you really like. BTW: I view Taylors, more so than most other makers, to be suitable for buying sight unseen, as they make a consistently playable and solid product which is easily adjusted as needed.

I have been through a lot of guitars to arrive where I am, and there's nothing wrong with deciding a guitar isn't for you. Your needs and tastes may change and that's okay. But I've found a lot a gratification and freedom doing more with less that I wish for others who may be tied in knots about their gear. Not trying to be a know-it-all - others can do what what works for them. I'm just sharing my perspective in case it helps.

Best of luck. Do share NGD when it happens so we can all feel that new guitar excitement with you.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 01-18-2021, 02:31 PM

Yeah the lockdown is a shame re not being able to try anything out, but ironically if it wasn't for this year I probably wouldn't have been able to save what I have to fund a new acoustic/high end guitar - which was partly why I didn't further in my search last year as other priorities cropped up.

Some other really good points listed here too:

DrummerStrummer - really interesting post, I can agree that I didn't do much research when I bought my Faith 10 years ago. I liked how it looked, and it played better than the acoustic I had at the time - and here we are 10 years later and countless hours with it. So the 'gut' feeling aspect has merit, but think the difference in £££ - I part exchanged 2 guitars for the faith, so had no outlay vs £3k is a lot and I think thats made the search more detailed.

Mark - Yeah this is the 'smart' rational choice for sure, which at the moment my gut is telling me to do.

I think if there was a longer return phase on guitars at the moment (2 months say), then I could hedge my bets, try it out and chance it that I'd be out of lockdown by then, but the 14-30 days is almost certainly cutting it too fine in that respect.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I have a 2012 814 ce that is my favorite among my many acoustics. It has developed significant bottom end over the years and it truly can do anything. The size is very comfortable and the neck is as well. The only think I don't love about it is the electronics. Provided that Taylor's ES2 system lives up to the consistently positive reviews I'd say the 814 DLX should be a winner for you.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?

Honestly being in the UK, you really should look at Furch. They also just came out with the Red Duo Bevels too. I find them far more consistent with the build quality and quality as they voice and tone tap the Red Series top and backs.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:19 AM

They used to be Stonebridge a few years ago didn't they? If so my friend had a custom one from 10 years ago (same time I got my Faith wierdly), and it sounded great but I didn't get on with it from a body shape/playability aspect.

I've seen some vids on the newer Furchs and they do look pretty good!
Old 01-19-2021, 04:02 AM

You said you played some 600 & 800 series Taylor’s pre-Covid and you liked them. You seem to have your heart set on a 814 so see if you can find a dealer with a good return policy. That way you can try it and if it doesn’t float your boat you can return it. Even if it costs you return shipping it’s an experiment worth trying
Old 01-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
They used to be Stonebridge a few years ago didn't they? If so my friend had a custom one from 10 years ago (same time I got my Faith wierdly), and it sounded great but I didn't get on with it from a body shape/playability aspect.

I've seen some vids on the newer Furchs and they do look pretty good!
Yes they used to be Stonebridge.

They come in all different sizes too. Their version of the "814" would be at this point a Red Series, with the letter G in in.

Like this: https://reverb.com/item/34737228-fur...-incl-hardcase
Old 01-19-2021, 11:45 AM

^ Yeah I may contact one of the stores and see if I could do something along the lines of:

Pay a deposit or flat fee , get them to ship an 814 and then ship it back and then try a Lowden or different model taylor of the same price for example. That way I'd be able to test out more to find the best suited - Obviously will cost me more in terms of returning guitars.

Not sure if they'd go for that and may have to have an agreement that I'd definately buy something from them so there's no risk of losing that money, but worth a shot!

----------

Right I thought so, thanks for the tip with their model line thats always something that can take time finding out each brands naming conventions. Well done picking the exact model I'd be looking for too - that looks great!! Unfortunately my local shops don't stock it so wouldn't be able to test it against the other models I'd had my eye on (if I waited post lockdown). Definately another one to add to the brand list!

Last edited by BenP_357; 01-19-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Has anyone had any hands on experience with the custom GA's vs the 800s?
Full disclosure: despite owning 3 Taylors, I do not consider myself a "fanboy" of theirs. I have played many, many Taylors that did not inspire me to purchase them. Not that they were bad guitars, but rather that for the price (around the $4K+ range) I found that I preferred the sound of small builder guitars to be more to my liking for just a little bit more money.

So what do the three models I own have in common? They were not "production line" guitars.
  • My K24ce 12-fret was a limited run in 2017 which my local shop was able to source one of.
  • My K14c was a 2019 v-class which was not a "normal production run" because of it's lack of electronics. My local shop specifically ordered because they have a few regular Taylor fans who prefer lack of electronics. Played side by side with a K14ce production line made in the same year with the same specs, it absolutely outshone the production line K14ce and not by a small margin.
  • My Custom GA (cedar over cocobolo, Adirondack bracing) MSRP'd for just shy of five figures. But because it was a 2015 model, it sat on the dealer shelf for nearly five years and he offered me nearly dealer cost on it. It's perhaps my second best sounding guitar. Not sure I'd have paid the MSRP (you start getting into BRW territory), but for what I got it for, it's a steal.

Admittedly this is a sample size of 3, but I have played dozens, if not hundreds of Taylors over the years. These three are shining examples that IMHO Taylor can go toe-to-toe with the smaller builders. My totally evidence-free theory is that, like Martin's Custom Shop, if you order outside of the "normal production line", some "more skilled" hands work on the guitars. The 2017 K24ce 12-fret would be a "limited run". The 2019 K14c would be a BTO. The 2015 Custom GA is truly a Custom (the shop owner, who is also one of Taylor's bigger dealers not named "Guitar Center" or "Sam Ash") personally chose the woods while at the El Cajon factory.

I think it's more than a coincidence that the 3 best sounding Taylors that motivated me to drop major money on them were all non-standard production line models.

YMMV.

Also, you can read about the reviews of the K14c and the Custom GA in the links in my signature below. I hope to add sound files in the near future. I have a Zoom H8 arriving today, and will need some time to learn how to use it properly to record acoustic guitars. Very excited to learn!
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion