The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Shout out to Voyage Air and American Airlines

I mentioned in another thread that American made me gate check my VA over Easter and they busted the neck right above the hinge. I made a hinky repair because I couldn't stand to be without a guitar while away, but the resulting action was quite high and there was no room left on the saddle to lower it.

I don't want to go into specifics, but I was pleasantly surprised with how American handled my claim. And VA went above and beyond. They would have repaired it for free (I would have incurred only shipping at their corporate rate) had I not mangled the repair myself. I ended up with new VA at a very reasonable cost, and great customer service from Barney Leeson at VA. I highly recommend this company-- if you have any issues they will be there to assist.

Last edited by reeve21; 05-08-2021 at 05:03 PM. Reason: hit send by mistake!
Old 05-07-2021, 09:22 AM

That’s good to hear about VA. I’ve held them in high regard for years, now. This was the creation of Harvey Leach, luthier extraordinaire, who sometimes visits here.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:19 PM

My VA-Om fell off a hotel bed in the case and broke in about the same place as yours. VA did a fabulous repair. You would never know it happened. Great company.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:47 PM

Don't understand why you had to gate check unless u were on an Embraer (2x2 seater) plane in which the overhead only fits briefcases and coats.

The VA case can fit under the seat in front if you unzip the laptop attachment case.

Can you say why they would not allow you to bring the VA on board?

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 05-08-2021, 04:04 PM

hans, there are plenty of regional jet routes (probably even more now with depressed travel levels) that don't allow VA into cabin, as they don't fit in overhead bins or under the shrunken seats (I've owned two VA's - trust me, it's true). VA works great on Boeing 737 and similar as you know, but a surprising number of poor schleps like me and perhaps the OP don't live in big cities, and regional jets are our inescapable reality. One of the downsides to living in a more rural area - which is most of the USA (geographically).

Very impressive customer service by both AA and VA!
Old 05-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
hans, there are plenty of regional jet routes (probably even more now with depressed travel levels) that don't allow VA into cabin, as they don't fit in overhead bins or under the shrunken seats (I've owned two VA's - trust me, it's true). VA works great on Boeing 737 and similar as you know, but a surprising number of poor schleps like me and perhaps the OP don't live in big cities, and regional jets are our inescapable reality. One of the downsides to living in a more rural area - which is most of the USA (geographically).

Thanks Carmel you saved me a lot of typing this was the first time I ever got stuck on one of those small planes which surprised me because the flight was over 750 miles. I should’ve checked the “equipment“ before bringing the voyage air.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:02 PM

That’s great news Bob!
Old 05-09-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
That’s great news Bob!
Thanks Rick, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:49 AM

Default VA

I have spoken with Barney on a couple of occasions and wowed by the customer service and follow through. I am a happy owner of one VA and am considering a second one.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:45 PM

Not only good on VA for coming through but also for AA to honor your claim without issue!

Years back that hilarious "United Breaks Guitars" vid went viral crazy (super well done and I love what that guy did!) ...and only afterward did United try and make amends. Ha, too late buster! Like VoyageAir, Taylor did that owner a real solid. But I can't help buy wonder if airlines thought about the press that video brought ...who knows really, but it's a fun thought

Edward
Old 05-09-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Yep I get it. Thanks for the perspective.

This is why I bought a VA so i could avoid checking guitars. I'm considering spending whole hog on good Hoffee case so i can travel with a guitar without worrying about damage. Not even sure that Hoffee or Calton offer that.

What's a guy to do if he wants to protect his guitar from baggage mishandling? Make sure all legs of travel are in large planes, I guess with overheads.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:

This is exactly why I stopped using my VA and bought a Journey Overhead 660 CF. The VA is too big to meet the carry on specs for most domestic airlines in my experience. I had too many times where it wouldn't fit under the seat in front of my (and I kind of hid part of it so the flight attendants wouldn't notice) and where it wouldn't fit into an overhead bin. Too stressful for my taste. Makes a good campfire guitar though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion