The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Washburn guitars

I’ve been looking at these online and some look nice, particularly the Bella Tono series. Some of the YT videos of Washburn guitars seem heavily edited on the audio. I’m wondering if there are any Washburn owners here or anyone with experience with these guitars? How is the sound, build quality, etc.?
Old 03-24-2021, 03:19 PM

They are cheap rebadged Samicks out of Indonesia, same as Epiphones and a dozen other common brands. You could do better. But you could do a lot worse too. Cheap guitars these days are very good considering the price you pay for them, but they are what they are.

Oh, and there is also a tiny handful of Washburns hand-made in the US. These are easy to recognise because there is another zero on the price tag. I went to try one out the other day when I was guitar shopping in Melbourne but the retailer has switched over to Internet-only with no in-person shopping and there is no way on Earth I'll pay close to four grand sight unseen for a guitar from an unproven maker.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:47 PM

Default Sheesh

Don't listen to that last guy he obviously know nothing about Washburns or where they are made.
While I confess I know very little about the Washburns that are made today in China, some of them that I have tried were decent a nd even a few were really good ie: Comfort Series gran auditorium.
Their RSD135 is expensive a bit $3000/Canadian but sounds great and easy to play.
Now old Washburns you can ask me just about anything. especially pre war there are only 5 folks who know more then me.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Decades ago I saw John Abercrombie in concert. He played a guitar I had never heard of: Washburn. I always think of him when I think of Washburn and I have to say he does, for me, still bring some cachet to the brand.

Your question was about the guitars. I digress.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:55 PM

Don’t really hear much about Washburn guitars in here.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
They are cheap rebadged Samicks out of Indonesia, same as Epiphones and a dozen other common brands. You could do better. But you could do a lot worse too. Cheap guitars these days are very good considering the price you pay for them, but they are what they are.
I don't know about Washburns specifically, but I've had half a dozen guitars made in China and a couple in Indonesia, and like you admit, these days they are very good. In my case they've been Epiphones, often built in their own plant in Qingdao. One was built in the Farida Grand Reward factory in Guangdong. These factories have been around quite a while and have gotten very good at producing excellent guitars according to the specs provided to them by the U.S. companies. Fit and finish are generally excellent. Tone is somehow not quite up to the greatness of (most) U.S.-made instruments, but then you're not paying 4 times what those usually go for in comparison.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-24-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Theres a player I sometimes listen to on youtube who uses one. No idea if it's a cheap instrument or one of the higher end ones but I think it sounds good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzGHpf7R1yU

I used to see Washburn guitars in music shops regularly in the 80s but rarely now

sorry I didn't answer the question though
Old 03-24-2021, 11:07 PM

I have a laminated dreadnought model made in China. I read a few years ago that a survey showed Washburns as the best dread under $500. I got mine a bit scuffed up for $40. After a very basic setup done myself, adding a bone nut, some fret work, and new strings, it has blossomed. It has nice tone, big volume with a pick, sweetness with the fingers, and a lot of sustain.

There is also a quality I do not know how to describe but I hear in good Martin guitars. In an energetic piece the middle strings blend into a sort of harmony that sustains a strong steady undertone through the tune. That adds a lot of richness to the tone. It is approaching the sound quality of my solid top guitars. I hope to find strings it likes even better than the medium Martins, but they still sound too good to replace.

Construction quality seems very good. - Stevo

Last edited by ssynhorst; 03-25-2021 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:48 AM

I haven't had one in a while (I got rid of my last Washburn 12 years ago), but all of the acoustics I had from 1979 to 2008 were Washburns. They were mainly the low end $450 and under models, because I concentrated more on electric guitar playing in that time period (there were periods of several years, when I didn't even have an acoustic guitar). While they were probably made in Korea, and were different from today's Washburns, they were OK guitars qualitywise, that were maybe a step below your higher tier guitars soundwise (not dead sounding, but they weren't as full sounding as a more expensive guitar). Ditto for the few recent ones I've played in guitar shops - probably on a par with you're typical Epiphone acoustic. I doubt I'd buy one again, mainly because their necks were all on the thin side (I prefer chunky necks).

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 03-25-2021, 05:02 AM

Washburn has a solid wood series now. Don't have any personal experience with them just know of them through internet shopping. Looks like the model numbers are followed by an SW. WD56SW looks to be their fancy model.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:31 AM

I have a 2019 HD-80, and love it. It’s on the heavier side, and seemed a little stiff when I first bought it, but it has opened up very nicely and has a great sound. My middle son is a very good guitarist, and the Washburn is the guitar he always picks up when he stops by.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 AM

It seems like most people here prefer the higher-end stuff, and I certainly understand that. Over the years, however, there have been times at guitar shows and shops where I’ve seen the occasional Epiphone, Cort, etc that really performed well. I’ve only seen a few Washburns in person and one jumbo was the same way—a very nice instrument. In fact, one of the best guitars I ever played was a Samick (not Greg Bennett, whoever he is). Most guitars, particularly expensive ones (exception being Taylor at times) feel very stiff to me. I suppose they come that way so they can be adjusted later. So I’m always on the lookout for a nice-feeling cheaper guitar.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
It seems like most people here prefer the higher-end stuff, and I certainly understand that. Over the years, however, there have been times at guitar shows and shops where I’ve seen the occasional Epiphone, Cort, etc that really performed well. I’ve only seen a few Washburns in person and one jumbo was the same way—a very nice instrument. In fact, one of the best guitars I ever played was a Samick (not Greg Bennett, whoever he is). Most guitars, particularly expensive ones (exception being Taylor at times) feel very stiff to me. I suppose they come that way so they can be adjusted later. So I’m always on the lookout for a nice-feeling cheaper guitar.
Yeah the majority here are into higher end guitars. American made and boutique. But there's a fair amount of us regular guys that like cheap imports.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
Washburn has a solid wood series now. Don't have any personal experience with them just know of them through internet shopping. Looks like the model numbers are followed by an SW. WD56SW looks to be their fancy model.
I got one of the WD series dread several months back. My tech had one I noodled around with while he finished one of my electrics. I jumped on line and found one exactly like it and do mean one. Solid as a tank and sounds/plays right up there.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:36 AM

Their 'comfort' models offer an aggressive body bevel and a cutaway, which is unique in this price range.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion