The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
I don't like Martins.

Actually, I love Martins but they don't love me. I've owned many over the years hoping to find one I could play but to no avail. The last Martin I owned was a D45 and sold it after struggling for two years with it. Bought a Guild D55 and never regretted it for a second.

Everyone I've owned I've had professionally set up but it made no difference, I still found them a struggle to play. I still can't figure it out. Some guitars are so easy to play whist others are a real handful.
in my own personal experience, outside of the sound of course, the playability is king. and this means not only neck profile and action, but fretboard radius. I think there is a particular set of numbers that will just suit people better than all others.
for me it's a very tight radius with a nice fat and wide neck with low action. hand me any guitar made that fits those three parameters, and i'll be able to play it like i've owned it for years.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 AM

seems like you couldn't get past the name. i ignore brand loyalty and own taylor, gibson, fender and martin. they are guitars. shocking i know.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM

Yah despite their marketing you don't have to like them. There marketing is really insidious.

I like my Academy Taylor just fine, but I'm not sure I feel like there would be much bang for the buck for me to upgrade it up to a high end Taylor. I think I like the general sound their guitars have but I've tried a bunch of the high end ones and they don't grab me and make me think it's the best use of my money to buy one.

There's an awful lot of stuff on the internet that would lead one to believe they need expensive guitars to sound good but in the real world you don't need it. All those Yamahas and other affordable guitars you mentioned sound just fine if they're played well.

I had a Yamaha and an Alvarez before my Taylor, both sounded just fine.. I do think the Taylor neck/frets/feel/action/intonation are better for me though. The quality there does shine through, but there was nothing wrong with the sound of either of the two guitars I owned before.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirguitar View Post
I guess I am way differently wired in my brain about sound.
My brain must be wired the same way as the OP's. The zingyness of many high-end Taylors makes me want to stuff cotton into my ears. I think it's a combination of the Elixir strings and the rosewood brightness.

I don't mind the sound so muchl when others are playing these guitars--it's just a problem when I play them.

That's a problem with an easy solution.

Last edited by bufflehead; 01-14-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirguitar View Post
I tried my best to like a Taylor....
I thought at one point that Taylor has done good marketing to win over the follower-ship.

...The guitars over £1500 did not sound any better than Alvarez or Yamahas under £500.I think I have heard Guilds under £800 sounded way better.
I ended up buying Martin D18.
Everyone has a tonal preference and is bias in the immediate by what the sounds they hear immediately preceding playing any instrument (psych-acoustic-adaptation). Everyone has a different level of sensitivity (ability) and different levels of tone awareness (which calls to the saying "ignorance is bliss"). And while you may not like a Taylor that hangs on the store rack, changing to a different brand of strings, changing out the saddle and possibly bridge in materials, while not changing the tone, can drastically change the way the guitar presents itself.

But as important, when speaking of Taylor guitars, which VERSION of those guitars did you play??? IMO there are few V-class Taylors that I really like (714 being one). However the V-bracing didn't do some of the other models any favors. The V-bracing utterly ruined the 614. The 814 needs some extra help in restoring the deep bass of the X brace models. But yes, Taylor is a MASTER of marketing as they have been able to not only maintain but increase market share as they have systematically downgraded certain aspects of their instruments for the purpose of increased margin.

I'm glad you're happy with a D-18. It a nice guitar, but something that I necessarily wouldn't own for my playing purposes. Did you get a 2018 "reimagined" model?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Well, yeah but I thought that's why we're all here, to share our opinions, to kick around our likes and dislikes. For example, you seem not to like the OP expressing his opinion. OK. Duly noted.
And you seem to not like me expressing my opinion. OK, duly noted.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
I felt exactly the same way until I found my 510. Short scale, v carve neck, slotted headstock. Lutz spruce over mahogany, and I absolutely love the sound and playability of this guitar. Warm, rich, loud, responsive.

But if you never fall in love with one, that’s ok too.

Roger
I will try 510/514
many seem to have suggested towards 5 series.
Thanks
Guild D120 - All hog
Old 01-14-2019, 03:03 PM

Do you like elixirs? I dont and I feel they add alot of zingy/brightness. I've played friends Taylor's with other strings that sounded much better imho
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
And you seem to not like me expressing my opinion. OK, duly noted.
+1

IMO there is a heavy bias towards Martin guitars on this forum. Maybe it’s justified but some people’s perception of Taylor is clouded before they’ve even played one.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausagesBeGone View Post

IMO there is a heavy bias towards Martin guitars on this forum. Maybe it’s justified but some people’s perception of Taylor is clouded before they’ve even played one.
Well, of course. Every Boomer here grew up with Martin as THE premier guitar that all our guitar heroes played in the 60’s and 70’s. Taylor didn’t exist. Today, with the Boomer’s financial strength and disposable income driving the market, it is only right and natural that Martin should be benefitting disproportionately.

However, you may enjoy knowing that after 45 years of existence, Taylor penetrated my consciousness last year resulting in the purchase of a nice K24ce-V Class. Am I abandoning Martin? Of course not, and in fact I’m salivating over their new Modern Deluxe line. Can a guitar connoisseur enjoy both? Of course! It’s like fine food. Do I like steak? Yes! Do I like lobster? Yes. Why should I deny myself one form of excellence when I want to enjoy them all?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausagesBeGone View Post
+1

I agree. A thread titled: Why can't I like Martin? Would have a very short life.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:18 PM

Maybe it's just a newbie rhythm player opinion..but I find it funny that people chime in with the 'thin, zingy, brittle, bright' perspective on Taylor guitars.

I can make a Martin, Gibson, Alvarez, Yamaha, Guild, or boutique guitar sound thin, too...if I use a .73mm Tortex pick.

With the Taylors I have, I like to mix and match the pick and guitar choices, to get the kind of sound I want. If I'm in the mood for something a bit bright and 'thin' I'll play with a .73mm Ultex or Primetone. If I want warm and full, I'll play with a Blue Chip TD35 or TD40.

So much cheaper to swap between picks to get the noise I want...and the options are near-limitless (and budget friendly!). Same can be said for strings.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 01-14-2019, 04:26 PM

I went for a large part of my guitar playing life when my 2 guitars were Ovation 6 string and 12 string. After both kids were in college, I decided it was time for a more expensive guitar which was a Taylor 910c (probably 25 or 30 years ago before Taylor was big). I bought several additional Taylors which got traded off in a few years except for an 855 which I traded only a couple of years ago. I did not dislike them or anything. Guitars are a hobby and they rarely last forever with me. Other than the 12 string I had no Taylors until recently. The local store received some 2015 new Taylors and I really liked a PS18e in cocobolo that had a great price. I actually traded two Martins in on it. I have since bought another Taylor. Still have 2 Martins and a Collings. I kind of decided that having guitars with different sounds was a good thing. I really like the Taylors and the Martins as well.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

"Zingy-ness" is fine as long as there's offsetting bass. This is why many of us buy guitars besides Taylor. Taylors do have a nice tone though, I wouldn't mind having one at some point.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I went for a large part of my guitar playing life when my 2 guitars were Ovation 6 string and 12 string. After both kids were in college, I decided it was time for a more expensive guitar which was a Taylor 910c (probably 25 or 30 years ago before Taylor was big). I bought several additional Taylors which got traded off in a few years except for an 855 which I traded only a couple of years ago. I did not dislike them or anything. Guitars are a hobby and they rarely last forever with me. Other than the 12 string I had no Taylors until recently. The local store received some 2015 new Taylors and I really liked a PS18e in cocobolo that had a great price. I actually traded two Martins in on it. I have since bought another Taylor. Still have 2 Martins and a Collings. I kind of decided that having guitars with different sounds was a good thing. I really like the Taylors and the Martins as well.
***Wheres the like button?***

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion