The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Baby Taylor to my friend’s daughter who’s just started learning.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 05-03-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I recently gave a Hohner guitar that never got played to the 13 yr old girl that helps me out by running my dog for me. She is “over the moon” about having her own instrument and progressing nicely.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:28 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Jeremy, that's a great gift. I'm sure it's a special moment that will always be.
Yes, for sure. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:59 AM

My son-in-law had a broken old irrepairable Yamaha from you childhood and so it sat unplayed on a stand in the corner of a room for years. I recalled how I used to play guitar for my children and while I couldn't guarantee he'd play it it just seemed right.

So last fathers day I sent him Yamanha FG800 in sunburst to celebrate his first fathers day. The kids live on the east coast and I haven't seen them in over a year so have yet to see the guitar in person, but I know he plays it every day.

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 05-03-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Gave a bass I bought from Rondo Music to a friend who studied music/bass in college but stopped playing for whatever reason. So he was happy to have one after years away from the instrument.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:41 PM

I put the guitar songbook I've been assembling for 20+ years up on the internet for anyone who wants it. I didn't think too many people would be interested but the response was surprising and I've made quite a few new friends and gotten many nice thank-you notes from folks all over the world. It's been really gratifying to share and help others. (Link is on my profile if anyone is interested.)

Martin HD-35
Martin D-18
Taylor 814ce TSB
Taylor 522e 12-fret
Taylor 514ce
Taylor 355 12-string
Alvarez ABT610e Baritone 6
Yamaha C-40
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge

G4V Cyber Instructor
Old 05-04-2021, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Don't think I've given away any guitar related items but have given away several guitars to my nephew and assorted good friends and playing partners. Seems there was always a need or a prompting to do so. Regardless it was the right thing to do in every situation. Sure made me feel good...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-04-2021, 04:07 PM

I won an Eastman T386 at a music festival and, after some haggling, "sold" it to my friend's son who plays in a kick *** cover band and was just graduating high school.

For one dollar.

The look on his face was priceless.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 05-04-2021, 04:20 PM

not recent, but have given the following away over the years to friends who at the time did not have an acoustic:

1. Gibson Hbird
2. Guild D40
3. Some MIC dread I got from a friend, gave to another friend
4. Hoping my Guild dreads will go to my kids

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 05-04-2021, 10:46 PM

Default gifts

I gave a friend a kit-built dreadnought I'd built and didn't want to keep. Played real nice, looked good, and Eric was overjoyed to get it and plays it every day. Best use for it and I feel good that I could give someone an unexpected treat.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 AM

Three thin and three medium picks, to my buddy, who is visiting his grand-daughter next week.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 05-07-2021, 10:53 AM

When my brother got married a few years ago, part of the ceremony was him playing a song on guitar, accompanied by our cousin who is a professional cellist, while his now wife walked down the aisle. He is a great musician, but has always been an electric guitarist, so he didn't have an acoustic he felt was good enough for his wedding. He asked me to bring my Guild F30R with me for him to play, which I did gladly. He commented at the time that he would love to have an good acoustic like it, that could do whatever you needed from it.

He and his wife decided recently to move to my city, and he and I are excited to play music together again, after not really having done so for about a decade of living in different cities. For his birthday this year I gifted him that Guild, as I love it but have several other acoustics I also love, and nothing would make me happier than him playing it with me, and making music on it for his daughter as she grows. I'm still in possession for another couple of weeks, as they're moving at the end of the month, but it's his for the taking when he's here, and I'm thrilled to pass it along for its next chapter. He remarked when I gave it to him (he was in town for the inspection/closing) that I'd headed him off at the pass, as he'd been planning to get a similar guitar and talk me into trading, and as the older brother I'm also glad to have gotten there first! (Though now I'll always be curious what guitar he would have traded me for it...)
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo
Old 05-07-2021, 12:11 PM

A few years ago I gave a friend of mine an Eastman E8OM.
It was a great guitar but quite a bit like my E20-OM
I could have sold it but thought it would be cool to give it to my friend that plays.

A few months ago my wife asked me to give lessons to the 15yo grandson of one of her clients. He only had a nylon string guitar so I gave him an Eastman E1-OOSS to use and I gave him free lessons for a couple of months. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to be practicing much so after two months I said I would only continue to teach him if he really wanted to learn and put in the time needed. He admitted it was a lot harder than he thought and probably wasn't going to put in the practice time needed. I appreciated his honesty, he gave me the guitar back and that was that.
I had every intention of giving him the guitar to keep but only if he was dedicated to learning. Oh well.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

elephony, I love that story. You and your brother are able to play together, and you were able to provide him with the guitar played at his wedding, which will have long-lasting sentimental value. Well done!
Old 05-07-2021, 05:35 PM

Thanks, Pura Vida, I'm pleased as punch it turned out this way. I'd been planning to give him the guitar anyway, but them moving here and us getting to play together is really the icing on the cake for me.
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion