The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 08-28-2020, 03:59 PM

I bought from Steve a Zephyr last year also with the AAAA Adi spruce top. Such a joy to play. Some lucky person is getting a great deal on this guitar.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:41 AM
*mahoganut*

Hi Steve - we've met a few times at shows and it's great to see both that you're still building fantastic guitars AND that this one is a showpiece!!

Really fine work - and I'm sure tone to match.

Could you post a closeup of (either) sound port? Thanks!!

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 08-31-2020, 09:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Apologies for the delay responding. I am away from home for about ten days, in the aftermath of a death in the family...

I dug through my photo cache and found this photo of the upper bout sound port, taken before finish was applied. Both ports are trimmed exactly alike, however the lower bout port has a 25% smaller aperture than the one on the upper bout. I find this gives a very balanced tonal response, as the upper bout tends to emphasize the bass end, while the lower bout port brings out more of the midrange and treble.
Both ports are a 2020 style I have been hooked on. They're inlaid with bound and purfled "badges". In this case, there's a Macassar Ebony surround, with Cross-grain Zebra wood purflings, bordered by dyed blue veneer lines. The actual aperture is bound with a Macassar Ebony ring.

Here's another shot showing both ports. Sorry, they're a little dark, and I'm not able to adjust the brightness remotely. But you can see how the whole theme of the trim work is unified, using the Zebra wood purflings, blue veneer lines, and other subtle details that don't reveal themselves until you get right up close.
Thanks for asking, and thanks also for your kind comments!

Thanks for asking!
Old 09-05-2020, 07:33 PM
*mahoganut*

Thanks much for the soundport pictures -- I anticipated they'd be spectacular and I was right!

Sympathies for your loss - going through some of that myself.

Best,

Phil
Old 09-07-2020, 06:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you so much, Phil. I wish you peace and solace with your situation as well.
My father, Edwin Sheriff, passed away peacefully, at home, on August 12. He had a good long run-- 95 years, 3 1/2 months. Over the years of my lutherie career, I have built 132 guitars (so far) with his name on them, and that made him feel proud and honored. That's where the Edwinson brand name came from-- I'm Edwin's son.
May we all live well and be well, while we're still here!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:11 AM

So sorry for your loss Steve. My mother passed on Sunday so I know all too well how hard this is.

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 09-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Very sorry for your loss, Steve--your father's spirit lives on through your amazing guitars.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

This Zephyr 00 is still available. Come check it out while we're between hurricanes!
Old 10-11-2020, 07:30 PM

Steve, I just saw the post regarding your father, the namesake of your fantastic guitars and I would like to extend my sympathies. I know how much of yourself went into his care, far beyond what most people could do.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I'll be the spoiler here. I reached out to Steve a few weeks ago about taking a trip over to Fairhope from Covington (LA) to A/B this beautiful guitar against my equally beautiful SCGC Skye 00. I was interested in this guitar because both are the same tonewoods. A primary motivation for me was that I really miss not having a cutaway on the SC so if tonally I felt it was at a minimum the equal to the Skye 00, it might come home with me.

I did the visit along with my brother yesterday and got to meet not only Steve but his compadre Joel Teel. I'm happy to say I have bought this guitar and I'll probably be putting the Skye 00 up for sale. The Skye 00 is a superlative instrument but I think the Zephyr will fit my playing style a bit better with not only the cutaway but its voicing is more "orchestral" with a bit wetter/lusher bottom and top end. The Skye 00 is punchier, "funkier", and (probably) the slightly more projective of the two. My brother has played for over 50 years and is a fantastic blues guitarist and he just tore it up on the Skye 00 and that makes sense since its design mission was the signature instrument of an amazing jazz guitarist.

Steve and Joel share a beautiful shop and I really enjoyed the 3+ hours we spent there and hope to spend more time with them in the future. Both of these luthiers are committed to their craft and I am over the moon on the finish details and the tone of this guitar.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 10-17-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I'll be the spoiler here. I reached out to Steve a few weeks ago about taking a trip over to Fairhope from Covington (LA) to A/B this beautiful guitar against my equally beautiful SCGC Skye 00. I was interested in this guitar because both are the same tonewoods. A primary motivation for me was that I really miss not having a cutaway on the SC so if tonally I felt it was at a minimum the equal to the Skye 00, it might come home with me.

I did the visit along with my brother yesterday and got to meet not only Steve but his compadre Joel Teel. I'm happy to say I have bought this guitar and I'll probably be putting the Skye 00 up for sale. The Skye 00 is a superlative instrument but I think the Zephyr will fit my playing style a bit better with not only the cutaway but its voicing is more "orchestral" with a bit wetter/lusher bottom and top end. The Skye 00 is punchier, "funkier", and (probably) the slightly more projective of the two. My brother has played for over 50 years and is a fantastic blues guitarist and he just tore it up on the Skye 00 and that makes sense since its design mission was the signature instrument of an amazing jazz guitarist.

Steve and Joel share a beautiful shop and I really enjoyed the 3+ hours we spent there and hope to spend more time with them in the future. Both of these luthiers are committed to their craft and I am over the moon on the finish details and the tone of this guitar.

Congrats to both you and Steve.. I hoped you‘d buy the Zephyr... I recently had contacted Steve about his older „De Profundis“ that was offered in the Classifieds, when I became / was made aware of this Zephyr..... I lucked out on the De Profundis and am really happy the Zephyr found an appreciating new home.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations on your new acquisition, Bob! I hope you and this Zephyr 00 have a long and happy relationship. It sure was a pleasure getting to know you and your brother Scott; and what a treat it was to hear you play the Zephyr in a clean listening environment! I think this guitar very much suits your playing style, and when you imprint it with your own mojo over time, even more so.

A little story: I had ordered a very nice Crossrock guitar case for the Zephyr, definitely an upgrade from the standard Guardian that has been the usual off-the-shelf case.

Bob came back through Fairhope this morning to pick up the guitar, and the new case hadn't arrived yet, so I put the guitar in a loaner Hoffee case for Bob to take home. I was going to drive over to Louisiana this weekend with the Crossrock case and make the exchange.

But then, just as Bob was backing out of the driveway to leave, I got a notification on my phone that FedEx had delivered the case. I dashed home (across the back yard from the shop) and grabbed the case. If Bob had left one minute sooner, we would have missed that opportunity, and I'd have a six hour round trip to make on Saturday. So, yeah, that worked out well.

Always such a pleasure to send a new guitar off to a happy home! Thanks for everything, Bob!
Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
Congrats to both you and Steve.. I hoped you‘d buy the Zephyr... I recently had contacted Steve about his older „De Profundis“ that was offered in the Classifieds, when I became / was made aware of this Zephyr..... I lucked out on the De Profundis and am really happy the Zephyr found an appreciating new home.
Joel and Steve are building some amazing guitars. They are super nice to work with. I'll post an NGD tomorrow.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:49 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post

But then, just as Bob was backing out of the driveway to leave, I got a notification on my phone that FedEx had delivered the case. I dashed home (across the back yard from the shop) and grabbed the case. If Bob had left one minute sooner, we would have missed that opportunity, and I'd have a six hour round trip to make on Saturday. So, yeah, that worked out well.
Appears it was meant to be on more levels than one

Old 12-04-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Thank you so much, Phil. I wish you peace and solace with your situation as well.
My father, Edwin Sheriff, passed away peacefully, at home, on August 12. He had a good long run-- 95 years, 3 1/2 months. Over the years of my lutherie career, I have built 132 guitars (so far) with his name on them, and that made him feel proud and honored. That's where the Edwinson brand name came from-- I'm Edwin's son.
May we all live well and be well, while we're still here!
My deepest sympathies Steve. I haven't been on the forum for quite awhile and just happened across this thread. I lost my mother (she was 93) in 2018 so I also wish you peace and solace, and hope for the New Year. May 2021 be better for all of us. Aloha...
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace