The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-06-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Scott (Methos1979) - Did you see the Emerald post on Facebook regarding the new X7? There is an intro where it is being played for about 15 seconds (about the same at the end), then Alistair talking about it. Listening with Airpods, that sweet little guitar sounds spectacular!

I had Joan listen to it... she said, "Maybe you want to sell your current X7 and get a new one?" Which beats the heck out of: "Why would you need another guitar?" For the record, she has never said that.

I played the X7 for a while this morning... no way I could let that go. Better to just add one in between (the X7 and the X20), don't you think?
Old 07-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Better to just add one in between (the X7 and the X20), don't you think?
I think ...wait for it....wait... I think uhhh ok
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-07-2018, 07:38 AM

The free helmet that I offered in an earlier reply has been spoken for!!!
No longer available.

Food for thought: What is this relationship between love of CF guitars and love of two wheelers?
Old 07-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
No longer available.

Food for thought: What is this relationship between love of CF guitars and love of two wheelers?
I'm going with: a sense of freedom and pure joy. Both take some practice to be competent. My CF guitars require less maintenance than the scoots, though.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I'm going with: a sense of freedom and pure joy. Both take some practice to be competent. My CF guitars require less maintenance than the scoots, though.
Perfect answer! BTW, buy a Lambretta scooter the next time.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Perfect answer! BTW, buy a Lambretta scooter the next time.
I understand the long standing Vespa vs Lambretta thing... kinda like Taylor and Martin. Of course, we CF folks are beyond that whole "my guitar can beat up your guitar" thing... definitely some brand preference, but I think we can agree that the CF options all bring something to the table.

For the record, I think Lambretta scooters were pretty cool for their time... hard to find new parts, though.

Seven years ago, I was playing wood guitars and riding an adventure cruising motorcycle. CF guitars and scooters weren't even on my radar. Just goes to show you that you can teach an old dog... well, you know.

My Vespa is a classy-looking black, just like my X7. Red would be sharp, too.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Scott (Methos1979) - Did you see the Emerald post on Facebook regarding the new X7? There is an intro where it is being played for about 15 seconds (about the same at the end), then Alistair talking about it. Listening with Airpods, that sweet little guitar sounds spectacular!

I had Joan listen to it... she said, "Maybe you want to sell your current X7 and get a new one?" Which beats the heck out of: "Why would you need another guitar?" For the record, she has never said that.

I played the X7 for a while this morning... no way I could let that go. Better to just add one in between (the X7 and the X20), don't you think?
Yes, I did see/listen to that and I agree. Your wife is smart! I do think that the new and old X7's are different enough to keep both but a new custom woody X7 for me would almost surely end up being a replacement for the X20. Initially, I thought it might be time to let go of the Martin and just go all CF and be done with wood but then every time I pick it up and play it I doubt I could do that. The X7 & X20 would surely be too similar to each other to keep except to be a backup to each other.

I would likely end up A/B'ing the two and keeping the one, most likely the X7. Since as someone said earlier, I play the X20 mostly amped for gigging the slightly larger body would likely not make much of a difference while the smaller X7 body would be more comfortable and lighter weight. Assuming all else was equal when amplified I could see the X20 going on the block along with the OF660 as well and then I'd be back to two, one CF and one wood.

All this is of course just thinking out loud. Until I hear back from Kevin upon Alistair's return that he can duplicate my X20's neck this is all just hypothetical anyway. If that turns out to be doable and I can find a wood veneer I like then I just might pull the trigger and get it going. Then wait for 9 months or so!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Yeah... I kinda thought that, only in reverse, when I got the X20, Scott. Turns out, I like 'em both so much, that I couldn't give up either. The X20 gets more play when we're home, the X7 is the traveler. Yes, I understand that the new X7 is bigger... not having played one, yet, I can't say how close it might be to the X20 experience.

Now, that X10...

Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah... I kinda thought that, only in reverse, when I got the X20, Scott. Turns out, I like 'em both so much, that I couldn't give up either. The X20 gets more play when we're home, the X7 is the traveler. Yes, I understand that the new X7 is bigger... not having played one, yet, I can't say how close it might be to the X20 experience.

Now, that X10...

Agree with the traveler aspect. I would order my X7 with a longer scale - 24.6" - to duplicate the X20's neck. That along with the slightly larger body would make it a little less of a travel guitar but all in all the traveling we do these days is by car anyway so even the X20 is no issue.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've never wore a helmet while I played...but I guess there are those that might. LOL
Old 07-08-2018, 09:15 AM

What goes with my guitar?

Regrettably, I parted with a left handed Rainsong that was a wonderful guitar. I also parted with a Blackbird Lucky 13 that I never got along that well with.

Right now I am trying a Martin 00XLAE and it is okay, but has the heavy neck.

But, what goes with my guitar?

Coffee until 9am... Beer after 2pm. I live in Colorado, so I could, um... 'reefer' to some other intoxicants, legally... So, what else?

My dog.

A few other guitars. Amps and devices about 25% of the time. Recording gear 5% of the time.

A perpetual longing to create beautiful music. Sometimes I please myself, but not always.

Some sense of comfort.

That's what goes with my guitar(s).

Good day, all.

ishtar
Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
What goes with my guitar?

Some sense of comfort.

That's what goes with my guitar(s).

Good day, all.

ishtar
Good day to you, ishtar. I like that "some sense of comfort." Guitars can certainly be soothing. We can create - or change - a mood with the playing.

I didn't mean for this thread to be only about what "goes with your guitar," but also about what else pumps you up, guitar related or not. Bonus points if you can relate it to something guitar(ish).
Old 07-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

You mean something like String Theory?

Western saddles?

Pea-nuts?

The London Bridge?

Pickup lines?

I could probably do this all day, but it's time for a lunch break.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:34 PM

What goes with my guitars (Ovation Elite, Emerald Amicus and Line 6 Variax)?

1. Piano and keyboards
2. Chapman Stick - Grand Stick (12-String), Railboard (10-String), and NS Stick (8-String)
3. LinnStrument and Roli Seaboard Block
4. Harpejji (G16)
5. Zendrum ZX
6. Godin MultiOud - in theory this could count as a guitar but it is a very different animal to play.

Most of my live performances are on the piano/keys and Chapman Stick.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Kinda. I spend my days trying to make the Blonde happy. Fortunately, that generally means playing some guitar (guitar reference - check). Boat, scoots, bikes, and traveling. She’s the one that suggested the Black Hills this summer... I get to ride and kick back. Right now, she’s shopping, i’m In a “guy chair”... it’s all good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber