The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Should I???

IMG_1866.jpg
So I’m a bedroom Electric blues player with a 92 MIM Fender Strat and Fender Limited Edition Princeton Reverb Reissue in Knotty Pine and with a Celestion 12” Cream speaker. It sounds as good as it looks. I’m not gigging and only have one overdrive pedal. IMG_1869.jpgAttachment 1
Anyway - here is what I’ve been thinking about:

- getting a Fenderesque amp that has great tone and more flexibility sound wise
- amp with great clean tone as a first priority
- possibility of getting overdrive tones without pedals (I’m in a decluttering mode) but will take pedals well should I add a few later.
- get pushed amp tones a low volume levels
- getting an amp that is low maintenance

So....I have been considering selling my PRRI and getting a Roland Blues Cube Artist. I know, I know...you just fell out of your chair with the mere thought if it, but that amp checks all those boxes above based upon reviews by some well-respected players
- true 2 channel amp - clean and crunch
- dual tone, combine and mix both channels
- .5w, 15w, 45w, 80w power modes
- built in reverb and tremolo like my PRRI. I’m not a fan of the PRRI’s reverb however.
- solid state amp that is highly reliable
- BCA is based upon 6L6 tone

Unfortunately it is difficult for me to demo one. The in-depth reviews on Youtube are quite impressive. Let me know your thoughts. Be kind[emoji4]
IMG_1889.jpg IMG_1890.jpg IMG_1891.jpg

Last edited by jazzguy; 07-04-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:05 PM

I like solid state amps, since I'm usually playing at bedroom volumes. My main amp is a Roland Cube 30x. I think that Blues Cube would be fine.

Another suggestion is the latest Fender Mustang modeling amps...
Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 PM

My thoughts:
  • Keep the Princeton at all costs - one of electric guitardom's iconic tone machines, you'll kick yourself later if you get rid of it, and good luck finding another one like yours;
  • Buy the Blues Cube from one of the big online dealers that has a liberal return policy, and A/B audition it against your Princeton;
  • When you realize that there's no real substitute for that sweet, tasty tube tone (if you've been playing that Princeton for a while I suspect you're of a mind already), send it back and score yourself a Bugera V22 Infinium for under $400: checks all the boxes (BTW this one's self-biasing/self-monitoring; swap in a set of primo tubes and you may never need to change them - voice of experience here), enough grunt to do a medium-size hall (~600-700 seats) clean as you need/dirty as you want/loud as you can stand and still power down to practice levels, and if you really need trem (I do) there's any one of a number of stompboxes out there (I'm using an old Cool Cat with mine)...
BTW, check the reviews from other satisfied owners here on the Electric Guitar subforum - I'm not the only one - and you can thank me later...
Old 07-04-2018, 01:02 PM

I had the V22 before I got the Princeton.[emoji4]
Old 07-04-2018, 02:04 PM

I would keep the LE PRRI.

When I want different tones than my Princeton Reverb offers I use my Vox AC4HW1 or my 5e3 Tweed Deluxe.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:05 PM

I'd reconsider the whole "de-cluttering" notion and keep your rig and just get a top-notch OD pedal. That ticks all your boxes except de-cluttering (see previous sentence) and lower maintenance (a price worth paying for that amp, IMO). People can (and do) wax rhapsodic about tube tone, and I'm a tube player at home and on gigs, but for some sounds the right pedal is better. Yes, I said that on purpose.

Example: one of the strengths of my Mesa Express Plus amp is the Crunch mode on channel 1. Even reviewers who don't care for channel-switchers in general or Mesas in particular usually cite the Crunch mode on this amp as being excellent. But I keep that channel in clean mode so I have a nice clean then use a Mesa Flux Drive pedal for crunch rhythm and lower-gain single note stuff. The honest truth is I like the pedal better, whether at gig volume or at home.

Just a thought.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:47 PM

none better than a princeton reverb, possibly the most sought after amp for its light weight and tone. keep it!

if you need something else to use at other times when you just can't stand the glorious tones of the princeton, buy it to use at those times.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM

Default Should I???

Good thoughts. Keep the comments coming. Part of this is my own “gear head gas” honestly. At the same time, I do like the thought of a non-tube amp that I don’t have to worry about maintenance etc. I’m also kind of a low noise freak from my hi fi stereo days. The PRRI is actually a pretty quiet amp, but I like the idea of a potentially quieter amp with a effects loop, dual channel, power options. Another thought I have is to keep the PRRI and get a Helix Effects or Helix LT have all my effects contained with minimal wires etc. I’m familiar with multi-effects units from the past.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I'd keep the Princeton too. I'd add an amp to the stable, but I'm sure I'd regret letting go of that Princeton.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:12 PM

I would keep the Princeton and maybe try a cheaper modelling amp as well.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Yep, keep the Princeton and go out and get your Roland amp for home use. (Supposing you can afford to do this of course).
Old 07-04-2018, 11:16 PM

If I had a Princeton Reverb with a Celestion Cream-back, I would keep it. I might get a good compressor for playing lower volume, though. BTW, that's a nice look...did you strip the tolex & stain it or did it come that way? Came out nice, either way.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 AM

It came stock this way. It was a Fender Limited Edition. I’m about 75%+ sure I’m keeping the Princeton. I’m going to try and play the Blues Cube in person.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
It came stock this way. It was a Fender Limited Edition. I’m about 75%+ sure I’m keeping the Princeton. I’m going to try and play the Blues Cube in person.
Trade in a classic tube amp for a transistor amp, I would be hesitant. But I have not samples the blue cube. Look forward to hearing you comments on it.

I’m in the market for a home studio amp and have my eye on the super champ XL
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-05-2018, 12:40 PM

So I went to GC and played a Blues Cube Hot that they had on the floor. Not the artist, but the same time lineage. Not a bad amp at all, but not in the same league as my PR. Crisis averted! Thanks for the reasonable and sane comments. My PR will not leave my house!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars