The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantin View Post
Lovely. Love the simplicity of the design, especially the fingerboard without any markers. The whole design is very elegant.
Totally concur. A magnificent guitar in every way. Goodalls are amazing instruments. Congratulations!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-13-2018, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

What a great build thread

With so many Goodalls over the years you clearly know what you like now. I guess this one is still opening up, but at some stage it would be interesting to learn your thoughts about how it compares with its Goodall stablemates (as per your signature) – same woods with a different body size and same body size but with ABW back and sides.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Col
Old 06-13-2018, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new guitar and thanks again for taking the time to share its construction with the forum. I hope that your new guitar is everything that you hoped for and then some...
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Colins, thanks. I will let you know my thoughts when this guitar has broken in over time. You are right that the ABW guitar sounds more 'played in' at this point.

I haven't played that many ABW Goodalls as compared to BRW ones. What is clear though is that James and Luke build with at am amazing level of consistency, and that signature Goodall sound comes through no matter what back and side woods one chooses to colour the sound.

They are also particular about the materials chosen. I could not be more pleased with the quartered set of ABW provided, considering that the CJ is a large body. Here are some pics of the ABW instrument:

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 06-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Really nice guitar! I've always liked Goodalls, and have owned a number of them myself.

This one is particularly special. Congratulations!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Never met a Goodall I didn’t love. Had a Bubinga/Sitka CJC I was particularly fond of. You are right too about the consistency. Congrats on your new guitar and we truly appreciate you sharing the build. Awesome!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Since you have owned so many Goodalls, and as you noted they are so consistent, I would love to hear your descriptions on how the different tonewoods sound. I have only had the pleasure of playing a couple of Goodalls and they have all been magnificent. Last year I was considering a Cocobolo guitar...and the Goodall Cocobolo was possibly the best out of the lot custom builders that I tried. Magnificent sounding.
Where I live, it is hard to get a chance to hear some of the custom wood choices. If you would be so kind as to describe tonalities of ABW, Cocobolo, Bubinga and any other unusual Goodall combo's that you have owned and played. Attack times, sustain, bass, treble & volume.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for sharing you new CJ. I see in your signature stable's, 3 Goodall's after the others you have enjoyed. It seems that Italian Spruce is your favorite? Interesting.

I have sampled/played roughly 20 Goodall's over the last 25 years but like most of us they are not for sale often where we live. I don't think I have tried an Italian topped Goodall?
I have owned 6 Goodall's over ten years since my mortgage was finally paid off. I have 3 now so reading your build got my heart rate up a bit (in a good way).

Nice no position inlays. Contrasting the ebony against mastergrade wood. Classy! Enjoy your new beauty. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftz07 View Post
Colins, thanks. I will let you know my thoughts when this guitar has broken in over time. You are right that the ABW guitar sounds more 'played in' at this point.

I haven't played that many ABW Goodalls as compared to BRW ones. What is clear though is that James and Luke build with at am amazing level of consistency, and that signature Goodall sound comes through no matter what back and side woods one chooses to colour the sound.

They are also particular about the materials chosen. I could not be more pleased with the quartered set of ABW provided, considering that the CJ is a large body. Here are some pics of the ABW instrument
Oh wow…that ABW guitar looks incredible. It must sound incredible too. A great pairing with the maple binding.

I have payed a lot of Goodalls over the years (I used to love visiting Acoustic Pro Musician in Tx, back when they had a big dealership) and I've never seen one in ABW.

My question about tones was in part as I have two Baraniks – both Italian tops but one with walnut back and the other with ABW back. They each took a couple of years to really open up and I never get tired of the tone differences in these otherwise identical guitars.

Thanks again for your thread.

Col

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop