The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-01-2018, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Leo Buendia OM Brazilian German Review

Howdy Folks, I recently received a phenomenal instrument built by Leo Buendia, this beauty needs to be shown off… Here’s a bunch of final pics along with some thoughts and opinions I’ve gathered after getting to play and enjoy her over these last months… attached below is the original start to finish build thread for anyone who missed it…

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=474671

https://buendiaguitars.com

So I first met Leo at the 2013 Healdsburg Guitar Festival... He was hosting Ervin Somogyi's booth. It was there under the table he had stashed his apprenticeship Indian/German OM with French Polish finish... I took a fast look, strummed some chords, and instantly felt the connection... I asked Leo for a private spin and I took her into the solo rooms where you can actually hear. I have been hooked on his work ever since, and his OM was a highlight of the entire show. I knew in the back of my head I'd be jamming a Buendia one of these days... Here we are!

Leo builds an amazing guitar, I LOVE IT, blah blah, Tone and Mojo for days… his reputation really speaks for itself at this point, he’s an incredible builder… but I’d like to first get info the fact that Leo himself is a RADICAL dude…!!! We both live in California, so I can get away with saying Radical, lol.. Besides receiving a true dream guitar that fully “exceeded" my high expectations, it was such a pleasure developing a true friendship and having fun along the way… Leo always took the time to answer all my detailed OCD redundant questions, and explain all his procedures and philosophies etc… we had many discussions throughout the build process and I felt a part of it at all times… That’s an important bonus for me and allows an even further connection to the guitar in the end… Considering ordering a custom finger style instrument of the highest caliber….??? BETTER CALL LEO…..

I’ve had the pleasure of owning a number of fine guitars over the years, and in my opinion, once you get to the Top level, for me, it’s about color differences in tonal palate and unique personality characteristics that set them apart… I “expect" them to be amazing, they better be at these prices, lol… I search for new voices that stimulate my senses, and vibrations that really get my blood boiling, and my Buendia really tops the charts at such… Her voice is alluring and captivating, tough to put down, keeping me fascinated with playing guitar… All the basics I require are there of course, perfect construction & playability, volume & power, balance & separation, thick blooming notes, sustain & overtones etc… The framework of an exceptional guitar, thats all clearly there… along with some really nice tonal characteristics that are unique of their own... I really don’t have another guitar just like it… I’ve owned more than one Somogyi, and there is obviously a strong relation, and there is also some hints reminding me of the way a Traugott blooms with such an open voice, and also a Greenfield from a sensitivity and connection in my fingertips standpoint…

To sum it up I highly recommend Leo’s work… One of the clearest compliments I have to his builds is the fact that I have another on order..!!! YES, we all know I’m sick…. lol… there is worse habits lord knows….. Go out of your way to get one on your lap, check em out… Go Leo...

I’ll let the pics do the talking in the looks department...!

dsc_0006.jpg
dsc_0019.jpg
dsc_0022.jpg
dsc_0027.jpg
dsc_0056.jpg
dsc_0060.jpg
dsc_0063.jpg
dsc_0083.jpg
dsc_0091.jpg

Last edited by Diamondave; 03-01-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Leo Buendia OM Brazilian German Review

dsc_0035.jpg
dsc_0039.jpg
dsc_0101.jpg
dsc_0102.jpg
dsc_0109.jpg
dsc_0116.jpg
dsc_0119.jpg
dsc_0133.jpg
dsc_0137.jpg
dsc_0139.jpg
dsc_0141.jpg
dsc_0150.jpg

Last edited by Diamondave; 03-01-2018 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

I posted these pics from the AGF App, it seems there has been some recent changes... when attaching pics I was asked a "best" or "optimized" option, and they are coming on my screen small and low resolution... This didn't happen last time I posted pics, hmmm.... id love to see these gorgeous photos in a better quality....

Last edited by Diamondave; 03-01-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
I’ve had the pleasure of owning a number of fine guitars over the years, and in my opinion, once you get to the Top level, for me, it’s about color differences in tonal palate and unique personality characteristics that set them apart… I “expect" them to be amazing, they better be at these prices, lol… I search for new voices that stimulate my senses, and vibrations that really get my blood boiling, and my Buendia really tops the charts at such… Her voice is alluring and captivating, tough to put down, keeping me fascinated with playing guitar… All the basics I require are there of course, perfect construction & playability, volume & power, balance & separation, thick blooming notes, sustain & overtones etc… The framework of an exceptional guitar, thats all clearly there… along with some really nice tonal characteristics that are unique of their own... I really don’t have another guitar just like it...
When I read this, I recognized a kindred spirit.

At some point, if you go deeply enough into the acoustic guitar, and wind up in the world of these "Top Level" instruments with their extraordinary sonic properties, 'grading' a fine instrument according to any sort of scale (loudest, most resonant, longest sustain, most overtones, etc.), and even general comparisons to other instruments ('best I've ever played,' 'most bang for the buck,' etc.) become a fairly pointless exercise. In fact, finding a guitar that CAN'T really be compared to any other becomes the point, because it's the exploration of new and unknown sonic territory that's most exciting and compelling.

Like Diamondave, what motivates my guitar journey is the restless search for the next exceptional and unique flavor that constantly fascinates and tugs at my ear, revealing new layers of its personality every time I pick it up.

I am fortunate enough to own guitars by Leo Buendia, John Slobod, Michael Bashkin and Tyler Robbins, and a mandolin by Michael Heiden that was once owned by Ry Cooder. All of them are extraordinary in unique ways. They satisfy me, but the world of fine guitars is vast, and I'm always open to the possibility of discovering the next great and distinctive guitar flavor to complement them.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 03-02-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
.. what motivates my guitar journey is the restless search for the next exceptional and unique flavor that constantly fascinates and tugs at my ear, revealing new layers of its sonic signature every time I pick it up.
I'm going to try this on my wife to see if it works. Thanks for helping me overcome the shame of GAS

Cincy
Old 03-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I've seen a TNAG demo of his recent "the tree" MD. Unbelievable sound and craftmanship.

Yours certainly looks amazing.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 03-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

WOWOWOWOW!! That's a beauty!! Congrats!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:16 AM

Top shelf woods and builder. Great to see this guitar completed. I still remember what a beast of a tap tone this had when it was just still a box. Would love to hear how it sounds now!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I was able to play this beauty in Santa Barbara, and I am truly grateful that you allowed us mortals the chance to play it. For me, it was definitely a highlight of the show. I also enjoyed my conversation with Leo. While my plate is full at the moment, if I find myself fortunate enough to be ready for a commission, Leo would definitely be on my shortlist.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely beautiful guitar! Thanks for sharing the photos and review.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Really appreciate all the kind words and views Folks...!!!

jmagill, well said partner.... and I hope to make it out to The Swannanoa Gathering one of these days, I'd bet its an Epic experience...
Old 03-02-2018, 04:39 PM

Big fan of Leo's sense of design and sound. Played very briefly the amazing mahogany guitar he had at Woodstock a couple years ago. Leo was a great person to talk to as well. Congrats on a beautiful guitar!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:06 AM

By the time when I had an opportunity to play Dave’s guitar in Santa Barbara
I already owned Leo’s MD and kind of knew what to expect but
This particular instrument exceeded ALL my expectations..
Simply stunning look, highest possible level craftsmanship and the tone sets a new bar in guitar making.
And today
I know for a fact that each new instrument coming out of Buendia shop
will be nothing less than a masterpiece ..
• Froggy Bottom H12 Adi/EIR
• Ramirez 1A
• Rayan Nightingale Bearclaw Spruce / EIR
• Traugott 00 German Spruce/Braz
• Vicente Sanchis 41FL
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I’ve never had the opportunity to play one of these. Gorgeous!
Old 03-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I’ve never had the opportunity to play one of these. Gorgeous!
Here's Al Petteway playing mine when it was brand-new.

It's a year older now and it sounds...... better.

PS: Paul Heumiller at Dream Guitars should be getting his new Buendia in a matter of days...

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop