The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2024, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
Just stop it right now. You want a Martin, if you get anything other than a Martin you will still always want a Martin. Do not go down that rabbit hole like so many of us have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO! View Post
Hey Bucketfoot, go get that Martin you want!

I get people suggestions alternatives, but that is what you want. If you were to get something else, it is very likely you'd still pine for the Martin.

Do it and don't look back. I've got a HD28 that checks the boxes, but you've got quite a few options from Nazareth! Do it and post a NGD for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post

I am NOT someone who is stuck on "big name" guitars, but when it comes to acoustics Martin has always been the guitar to me. I have owned one Martin (my mom's old D12-28 - 1968 I believe) that I sold as I just never played it, wasn't interested in a 12-string, and wanted it to go to someone who would play and appreciate it. I also once owned a 1970’s nylon string Ovation and still own a no-name classical that I simply love the sound of.

Usage will mostly be just sitting and playing it by my self in the basement and doing some home recording.

Buying a new/used D-18 or D-28 is what initially comes to mind. Even though I have the funds to purchase either, I am a bit of a cheap-*** and would really prefer to stay in the $1-2K range. There is also the fact that none of my kids have ever taken up the guitar, so being able to hand down a nice Martin to someone is not in the cards. I think I would have only minor regrets in buying something other than a Martin, so my I’m sure commonly asked question to you guys is what other brands or what lower end Martins should I possibly consider?
It is good to be open minded, but Martin has always been the guitar for you, you said it. I was the same way with a Guild. Same thing, nostalgia was driving it, nothing else. But I wasn't happy with the other guitars I went through getting there. Just get a Martin and be happy that you got one. It just gets confusing otherwise.

I don't think having someone to hand it down to has ever showed up on my list of justifications for buying a guitar. It is just a guitar.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-04-2024, 02:42 PM

Pulled the trigger on a Martin 000-15m.

So I get my cake (a Martin), but get to eat too as I saved some money to satisfy my being frugal
Old 03-04-2024, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
So people are naysayers because they come up with alternatives to a Martin ?
There are great alternatives these days, a lot of great sounding guitars for less money, but many people think everything should be compared to a Martin and that is a problem imo.
This is coming from someone that has other brands besides Martin. Everything you say is true, and I have Guild, Epiphone (US) and SCGC guitars. All three of those are mahogany/spruce guitars. All are wonderful in their own ways, and so would a Larrivee or a Breedlove. But if you have the Martin bug, regardless of the reason, you won't be happy with anything else. Analytical thought has nothing to do with it. If you like the neck, like the tone, like the look, buy a Martin. You don't want to second guess yourself. If you find that $2k D 18, you can sell it easily and get something else. No harm done. You may just want to get a 000 18 instead.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-04-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:

So I get my cake (a Martin), but get to eat too as I saved some money to satisfy my being frugal
I think you're in for a treat.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-04-2024, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Good for you.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-04-2024, 04:25 PM

I own a Martin D-28 Authentic 1937, which sounds absolutely incredible and is a joy to play. Cost me six grand.

I also own a $500 Sigma DR-28V, one of the AMI models, and I love it. I can honestly say that it gets within shouting distance of the Martin for less than one tenth of the cost. Not as rich sounding but louder, brighter and more brash. I can grab it whenever the urge strikes, leave it out of the case, etc. without worrying about it. There's a lot to be said for that.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
So people are naysayers because they come up with alternatives to a Martin ?
There are great alternatives these days, a lot of great sounding guitars for less money, but many people think everything should be compared to a Martin and that is a problem imo.
That is not at all what I said, I can't help your interpretation of my statement.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 03-04-2024, 07:17 PM

I have been blessed with being able to afford some pretty nice guitars over the years. Of the guitars I have now only the couple Martins sound like a Martin. The others spoke to me in different ways or I wouldn't keep them, but I haven't kept them because they necessarily surpass what most think of as the Martin sound.

If you have zeroed in on that sound, play as many Martins (and other makes) as you can, and unless something else speaks to you, get the Martin that sounds closest to what you hear with your mind's ear.
2021 Collings D2HAT
2022 Collings CWR
2015 Bourgeois Bryan Sutton D150
2018 Bourgeois Panama Red
2023 Bourgeois Banjo Killer D
Old 03-04-2024, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Hi Bucketfoot, make sure you have adequate time and experience playing a dreadnaught like D18/D28. They are quite large under the arm and so many other guitar styles to consider. Nothing against dreads or Martin, but I find a dread to be a big body. My Lowden L32p is so big I have to play it standing usually. Hebnce, I don't play it much.

Hans
What @handers said, emphasis added!
Old 03-05-2024, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
This is coming from someone that has other brands besides Martin. Everything you say is true, and I have Guild, Epiphone (US) and SCGC guitars. All three of those are mahogany/spruce guitars. All are wonderful in their own ways, and so would a Larrivee or a Breedlove. But if you have the Martin bug, regardless of the reason, you won't be happy with anything else. Analytical thought has nothing to do with it. If you like the neck, like the tone, like the look, buy a Martin. You don't want to second guess yourself. If you find that $2k D 18, you can sell it easily and get something else. No harm done. You may just want to get a 000 18 instead.
I really don't know what a Martin bug is, all i know is that i have owned several Martins and they were all different in tone, playability and projection, so when people are talking about "Martin sound" and "get a Martin" thats pretty undefined, most doesnt even explain why.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:21 AM

Excellent choice on the 000-15m. My wife bought me a D15 Street Master last year for my birthday. It is a fantastic guitar! especially for the price. Complements my 1992 HD28 and 2011 D18GE.

Enjoy!
Old 03-05-2024, 07:49 AM

A 000-15 I played in a store recently was one of the best playing and sounding Martin I can remember. Congratulations!
Old 03-05-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I really don't know what a Martin bug is, all i know is that i have owned several Martins and they were all different in tone, playability and projection, so when people are talking about "Martin sound" and "get a Martin" thats pretty undefined, most doesnt even explain why.
I said the same thing earlier in the thread but this point doesn't seem to compute with many. There is no one Martin tone. Perhaps the one tone that most players associate with Martin in the prominent bass on some of their Dreadnaught guitars such as the D18 and D28, but that doesn't cross over to their other sized guitars.

IMO players, especially those relatively new to the instrument see Martin as the pinnacle of guitars, which they no longer are and haven't been for many a year.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-05-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I said the same thing earlier in the thread but this point doesn't seem to compute with many. There is no one Martin tone. Perhaps the one tone that most players associate with Martin in the prominent bass on some of their Dreadnaught guitars such as the D18 and D28, but that doesn't cross over to their other sized guitars.

IMO players, especially those relatively new to the instrument see Martin as the pinnacle of guitars, which they no longer are and haven't been for many a year.
You are right and it is a shame that many times a forum member is in doubt whether he/she should buy a Martin or another brand, the discussion drowns in a comparison with Martin when alternatives are mentioned. But many are afraid of not being in the "M" club, knowing deep down that they could easily have played on something else. Most established musicians I know and those who make a living from music don't even own a Martin, they play guitars that suit what they do regardless of brand. A Martin could also easily fit in here, but I rarely see it.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Worth it for the smell alone.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion