The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 08:34 PM

What a beautiful creation, from design to execution. I’m left nothing but immensely impressed. Congratulations, in advance.
Greg
Old 05-03-2020, 04:02 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Thanks for your kind words Greg. And you have joined just in time to see the final touches applied! WooHoo!

This guitar will hold a special place in my collection for quite a few reasons. But mainly because I've enjoyed getting to know these fine folks (the McKnights) very well over the past few years. Special people!
Old 05-03-2020, 07:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Good timing Greg. Our 3 week finish cure time is up tomorrow which means its time to sand and buff this puppy to a mirror gloss. The finish line is finally closing in within sight ... barring any unforeseen catastrophes?
Old 05-03-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
The finish line is finally closing in within sight ... barring any unforeseen catastrophes?
Hold on tightly, Tim. No flying objects, please. It's far too purdy a guitar to turn into kindling now.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Hold on tightly, Tim. No flying objects, please. It's far too purdy a guitar to turn into kindling now.
I suggest you don your hazmat gear and head on down to Morral to lend a hand then, Kurt! I'm sure you could still do the teacher gig over their Wifi!
Old 05-03-2020, 04:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Now that’s an image that I don’t need in my head at this stage of the game
Old 05-04-2020, 04:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

That is a lovely guitar. The sapele really sparkles and that rosette and top look great!
Old 05-04-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I suggest you don your hazmat gear and head on down to Morral to lend a hand then, Kurt! I'm sure you could still do the teacher gig over their Wifi!
Apparently, Tim only calls me in to assist when working with toxic materials. I don't think potentially-flying objects fits my job description.

Besides, I doubt Dennis wants me touching his guitar just now. It's looking absolutely beautiful, and my hope is we all get to hear it at a future McJam. If it sounds half as good as it looks, we're all in for a treat. A big thumbs-up to Tim and Mary for their work on this guitar, and to Dennis for permitting us the privilege of watching the build process.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:55 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Quote:
Apparently, Tim only calls me in to assist when working with toxic materials. I don't think potentially-flying objects fits my job description.

Besides, I doubt Dennis wants me touching his guitar just now. It's looking absolutely beautiful, and my hope is we all get to hear it at a future McJam. If it sounds half as good as it looks, we're all in for a treat. A big thumbs-up to Tim and Mary for their work on this guitar, and to Dennis for permitting us the privilege of watching the build process.
You guys are crazy! Thanks Neil and Kurt for following along. Let's let the man get back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
That is a lovely guitar. The sapele really sparkles and that rosette and top look great!
Thanks John. That is very kind of you to say. Gettin' close now!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:57 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Three weeks is up and today's activities include sanding (including wet) and buffing along with prep work on the top to receive the bridge and neck. I can tell Tim and Mary were itching to get back to work. 30 photos/videos, give or take, so hold on to your hat.

First and little light sanding • Video 1Video 2

Then a little wet sanding.

Then buffing begins. Who is that masked man? (sorry Tim, couldn't resist) • Video

Old 05-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Music soothes the soul!

My goodness! Look at that! Yikes!

While the sanding stuff is out may as well touch up the fretboard and get ready for inlays.

Here Tim is removing the finish to prepare for gluing of the bridge and neck.

And as is the tradition, all the scraps and extras from the build make it into the famous guitar-in-a-bag for the customer. Yup, you guessed it ... even the finish from under the bridge!

Old 05-04-2020, 01:00 PM
Music soothes the soul!

And to wrap the day up, we have gluing the neck to the body.

That should do it for today. Man I am tuckered out just watching!
Old 05-04-2020, 01:28 PM

I have just joined this forum and spent the whole morning reading this post. Wonderful, wonderful guitar and artistry bringing it to life!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:00 PM

Tim, that burst looks amazing! Love all the detail that goes into your build pics (kudos Mary!). Dennis, this is looking to be quite the special instrument!
Old 05-04-2020, 03:50 PM

That's looking really nice, Tim! Sorry if Kurt and I distracted you.

Sadly it doesn't look like we'll be seeing this one in person though. It looks like our 13 year streak is going to be broken.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop