The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2024, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Picked up the Pigtronix Infinity 3 looper and was delighted to find that it also had the Pigtronix 3-button universal pedal which opens up a whole bunch more features on what is already a powerful looper pedal. This was not in the ad so it was an unexpected but very welcome surprise. Time to start working with it and seeing if I can overcome my lack of lead playing ability. At least I have the time to dedicate to it now that I'm retired. Fingers crossed.
I'm interested to hear your impressions. In particular, any noise when at playing levels. Some users report "white noise" when the levels are above noon. That said, people use them in different ways, and firmware updates (I believe they are on v2 now - might check that) can often solve issues.

I abandoned my Boomerang experiment. I've bought/sold that pedal 3 different times and it does some things really well but then misses the mark for me with a few things. My 720 is "old dependable" for gigs and soloing over but I'm always looking to expand my horizons where it makes sense.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 01-30-2024, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Question Why? Why? Why?

My brain 🧠 has just went “boing” for i can’t remember how many times I’ve tried to do the “Looper”.
I was encouraged to see Scott inquire (respect him greatly) and figured ok….lets see where this goes..
Then, over the next two days went back to the multitude of looper threads and the new posts on this one.
My take
I have the EH 720 and bought it on advice, reviews, and comments.
I have not been able to synchronize the loop and anything else.
Reading the newer posts I see the RC-1 being hailed as great first looper.
But it only has one button! You MUST have a 2 button looper.
I just wanted to play around with a loop rhythm and be able (like Scott mentioned) practice some leads
So I imagine I’ll get an RC-1 due to simplicity.
I think I have an FS-5 footswitch also.
I’m not going to get a $400 pigtronix with my looper record for now

Depressed and Anxious

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 01-30-2024, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4mus6 View Post
I have the EH 720 and bought it on advice, reviews, and comments.
I have not been able to synchronize the loop and anything else.
What are you trying to "synchronize" with?

The biggest challenge for new loopers is timing the button pushes. Usually people click too early or too late (either to start or finish a loop - or both) so you don't get a smooth sounding loop.

It takes deliberate practice. I gig the 720 regularly, recording a chord progression then soloing over it. To do it on a gig reliably means you need to have done it A LOT at home.

Some tips - already be playing the chord progression before you step on the record button (not try and start playing and step at the same time). Have the pulse in your head strongly and step right on the downbeat. Then to close it, again, have the pulse strong in your head (maybe even be counting out loud) and step on the downbeat to close it. Usually folks will click it early in anticipation, or late because they want to play the downbeat before stepping.

If you practice regularly with a metronome, using a looper gets easier because you need to feel the constant tempo.

If however you're trying to do a sound pad underneath, that is a different looping technique. Same if you're not starting your loop recording from the downbeat because you're playing something sycopated, etc. But stick to the basics - try looping a 4-bar phrase until you can do it reliably. Then try 2-bar and/or 1-bar, or a 12-bar blues or a 32 bar jazz form. All of it is possible with practice.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 01-30-2024, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Picked up the Pigtronix Infinity 3 looper and was delighted to find that it also had the Pigtronix 3-button universal pedal which opens up a whole bunch more features on what is already a powerful looper pedal. This was not in the ad so it was an unexpected but very welcome surprise. Time to start working with it and seeing if I can overcome my lack of lead playing ability. At least I have the time to dedicate to it now that I'm retired. Fingers crossed.
Good luck Scott, and let us know how you are liking the pedal.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification