The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-14-2020, 02:22 PM

I just have difficulty following videos.
I hate the “ put your fourth finger in the 3rd fret and hammer on your fpthurd finger off the seconds fret of the 3rd string” commentary.
And I can’t see what strings are being picked and which fretted.

Must be just me

But give me sheet music and it is easy (relatively)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev112 View Post
I just have difficulty following videos.
I hate the “ put your fourth finger in the 3rd fret and hammer on your fpthurd finger off the seconds fret of the 3rd string” commentary.
And I can’t see what strings are being picked and which fretted.

Must be just me

But give me sheet music and it is easy (relatively)
I can appreciate that, the video has to be really well produced. I learn a song best with tab, the notation, and an audio file of someone playing the arrangement that I’ll use in Amazing Slow Downer.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-15-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I can appreciate that, the video has to be really well produced. I learn a song best with tab, the notation, and an audio file of someone playing the arrangement that I’ll use in Amazing Slow Downer.
I do exactly the same thing.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:02 AM

I also use David Hamburger’s courses:

On Utube- six progressive videos with tab on basic Fingerstyle Blues techniques.
On TrueFire- Fingerstyle Blues Handbook 1, for steady bass & Fingerstyle Blues 2, for alternating bass.
He also has other Truefire courses for intermediate and advanced players.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpickle View Post
I know a lot of you guys are really experienced and accomplished fingerpickers. What books do you think are good ones to learn from? Is there a progression of books or pieces you recommend?

I'd like to get good at the folk-style fingerpicking self-accompaniment you hear from musicians like John Prine, Paul Simon, James Taylor, and Roy Bookbinder (though he strikes me as probably more difficult than the others just mentioned). I want to get to the point of doing fingerpicky self-accompaniment without thinking about it much. I'd also like to learn some nice fingerpicked instrumentals--it would be great to get to a level where I could play Chet Atkins, Rev Gary Davis, Doc Watson etc instrumentals.

I've been pretty much exclusively flatpicking for a couple of decades. I've dipped a toe in and learned a few fingerpicking tunes (Windy and Warm, Deep River Blues, Freight Train, Little Martha), but never felt like I knew how to fingerpick. I just bludgeoned my brain to memorize specific musical pieces, and didn't learn enough to really apply the technique freely to other songs.

Thanks, everyone.
Your question is an easy one: Mark Hanson's books on Travis picking.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:41 AM

If you must have a book, I agree with the recommendation for Mark Hanson.

Personally, I learned (like some others here) by ear from records - slowing them down with a 2-speed tape deck (decades before computer software made that cheap and easy). I didn't need lessons, or video to watch. Neither existed back then anyway - and nor did tab. It was mostly common sense which fingers went where (and when).
I transcribed my way through pretty much the whole of Bert Jansch's iconic debut LP that way (Angie first, IIRC).

More to the point, I did it much the way Hanson lays it out. Working on a whole pattern from the start, as slow as necessary, to get the fingers in the right order, on the right strings, and on the right beats. Then gradually speed it up.
The "independent thumb" idea is a myth. The thumb does have a different job, but needs to be co-ordinated with the fingers from the beginning.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:39 PM

I would simply copy some of the artists whose finger style songs you admire.
YouTube or audio or both.

I do believe that everyone no matter who and in what learned skill starts by rotely copying and copying like a parrot. Then if you copy several different people then eventually you have a style that is you.

This way is also guaranteed to be more enjoyable although I will qualify this by saying that if you have played any other musical instrument before as a kid this background will help. I can imagine if you don’t know the musical alphabet at all it’s counterproductive to start by copying a finger style song.

I favor formal study to the beginner level and then setting them free

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write