The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 06:05 AM

Embrace it!

"Relevant" is a matter of publicity. None of the "Relevant" artists are Muddy Waters . . .
Old 08-29-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
By playing music that's older than I am (ragtime and fingerstyle blues), people don't seem to notice so much that I'm an old man. On the other hand, I think if I tried to do a Taylor Swift cover the audience would probably consider my attempt to be the artistic equivalent of a musical comb-over.
I think you said it best. If I am playing "old" music (which I've always done), gray hair goes along with it just fine. If it was something current on the radio, they might look at me a bit askance..... Or maybe they'd think it was neat that I "got it" (I don't.)

I consciously try to promote old music; if you don't know your roots, how are the branches going to grow? And if you enjoy what you play, others are more likely to pick up on that and enjoy it themselves.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
By playing music that's older than I am (ragtime and fingerstyle blues), people don't seem to notice so much that I'm an old man. On the other hand, I think if I tried to do a Taylor Swift cover the audience would probably consider my attempt to be the artistic equivalent of a musical comb-over.
Ugh. You reminded me of my worst gig.

At my job, we had a Bring Your Kid to Work day. I had the idea that it might be fun to play for them. What I had in mind was a sing along, with songs like "If You Want to Sing Out." Someone else had had a similar idea, so they put us together.

The other person was a pushy woman, younger than me, who was unfortunately higher up in the company. She wound up running things, and had a very different idea of what the kids would enjoy. I wound up playing an acoustic guitar along with recordings by Taylor Swift and Pharrell, and feeling like the world's biggest doofus in front of audiences of unsmiling children.

When it was over, one of the the parents came up to me and said, "don't quit your day job." I just packed up my instrument and walked back to my desk without a word to anyone.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:36 AM

I am in my 25th year as a college professor, and was hired when I was not much older than the age of most of my students. It initially felt great being able to relate so easily, listen to similar music as my students, and knowing that I was more energetic and less jaded than more seasoned faculty.

As I got older I worried about how I would "stay relevant" year after year as I got farther and farther away from the age of my students. Until I decided that I would embrace it and be myself.

I have been teaching longer than most of my students have been alive, yet my connection with them is stronger than it ever was. Because I teach what I am passionate about and I teach with passion and I don't worry about how I will be judged. My self-worth is not dependent on the perceptions of a generation of students who don't even know who they are yet. I just be who I am.

That's the way I would approach your question.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 AM

I enjoy playing a lot of different stuff, even a bit of present day pop.
That being said, when performing out, Lee and I try to do what appeals to the demographic.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-29-2019, 06:48 AM

Older guys working in the blues, jazz, and bluegrass genres will always find themselves among their generational peers.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:13 AM

Don't over think it. Just do what you do and enjoy.

I'm in my early 50's and play in 2 bands. I'm also working up a few sets of fingerstyle material of songs I like and plan to gig those solo. I have a lot of fun, make a few bucks on the side and am involved with music and guitar every day. What other people think won't change that.

That being said, I do try to keep up with current music and be open minded about it. There is not much good stuff that is new, but there are some gems in there.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I enjoy playing a lot of different stuff, even a bit of present day pop.
That being said, when performing out, Lee and I try to do what appeals to the demographic.
This is us (my wife & I) too. FWIW, not old yet, but I am 56.

We play Elvis, John Denver, Johnny Cash and other older stuff because we play gigs at retirement homes. Not my favorite stuff to play, but we picked the ones that we liked best so not too bad.

We also play AC/DC, Adele, The Kinks, Green Day and tons of other stuff.

If you play for others, it needs to be about them and you. You have to play stuff your audience knows to get them engaged. Once engaged, you can mix it up more to your taste.

If you are playing just for yourself and your friends - do what YOU like.

All this said, good music is good music, regardless of genre or how old it is. If you like what you are playing and play it well, people recognize that. So therefore, personal enjoyment makes what you play relevant.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-29-2019, 07:19 AM

Mose Allison recorded his final studio album when he was (IIRC) 80 years old, and it is every bit as good as the stuff he was doing back in the 1960s.

Be like Mose Allison: live your life, play your music, and make sure you can die with no regrets.

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build

Last edited by beatcomber; 08-29-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:25 AM

I always wanted to be in a band. I dreamed of it as a kid and most of my adult life. My dream finally came true a few years ago when I formed/joined a genuine covers only paid gigs bar band at age 46.

I was the baby of the group. The next youngest guy was 62.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 08-29-2019, 07:28 AM

I was a very impressionable young man of 14 when
Layla and other assorted Love Songs was released.
A little more digging introduced me to the Allman’s.
Their mix of rock, blues, jazz, country and gospel was the
most unique blend of Americana music I had ever heard,
and I was blown away at what dynamic music could sound like.

Nearly 50 years later I still enjoy playing these songs on guitar
and piano, and have found many like minded musician
who share this appreciation and passion for the ABB,
(2 drummers, Hammond/Leslie and everything)
We jam often and perform when our schedules allow,
Spreading the gospel as we see it,
Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 AM

I'm 52, but still planning to hit the big time. If Steve Wold (Seasick Steve) can make it in his 50's or 60's (depending on who you believe), then I think I can do the same.

Of course I don't have a carefully crafted romantic hobo back story like Steve, but my guitar does have three more strings than his.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Getting older has pluses and minuses, one big plus for me is no longer being concerned with being "relevant" . I just play what I like and thus I like what play. One thing all audiences relate well to, is if the performance feels "authentic" which in my opinion is always relevant

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-29-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I dunno. This "older" gentleman seems to have found the audience agreeable with that formula.

https://youtu.be/V4WGsMplGxU
Old 08-29-2019, 08:26 AM

I dont get the op's question but I love classic rock. I have dismissed that as a possibility as I am 73. An old guy rocking out is a funny image. So I play fingerstyle. Somehow that makes sense.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion