The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
I have somewhat similar experience. I have Monels Laurence Juber signature set on Spruce topped mahogany laminated Seagull dread, and while the tone is very good (structured detailed bass, not bloomy), it is to my ears too much 'neutral', almost sterile, and I miss the color of PB and 80/20 bronze on this guitar. Or, maybe I miss something else, I don't know.

It does not happen on 000-15M, I love the Monels on it.
I take back my words that I do not like Monels on spruce topped guitars.

I put a set of old Martin Retro Monels Light on my Gibson J-45 Standard, just to get the idea how it will sound like with monels, I never tried them before on it, and they sounded excellent! Instead of a couple of days I kept them for 10 days, got dry woody tone with characteristic J-45 thump. Of course, being an old set, the trebles were rolled off with almost no overtones.

Today I put the same set on my Seagull spruce topped dread M6 Gloss. I did not like the tone on it with a previous set of monels which were Laurence Juber signature 13-17-24-32-42-56 and a bone saddle. I replaced the bone saddle with original TUSQ and put these old set of Lights, and I like how the guitar sound with them, very inspiring tone, warm and comfortable, no hint of 'sterility'.

So, it seems that my trajectory in strings is going from PB to 80/20 to Monels on all my 3 guitars. But I love 80/20, too.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:21 PM

As far as Martins go, every hog top (15 series and the 17 Authentic) and D-18 (spruce, mahogany) I’ve played sound AWESOME with monel/retros. I had one HD-28V that also somehow liked them, but every other rosewood guitar I’ve played with them on just didn’t sound right. Maybe an old, dried out vintage Martin D-28 would be a much different story. But as far as newer guitars go, it’s pretty much anything with a mahogany back—especially with a mahogany top. And they last FOREVER! ��
Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Recently I tried Newtone Monel roundcores on my Larrivee Walnut Dread. Now I have this beautiful, neutral-woody sound. The Walnut was good before but something was missing. Now it has that Pure - Up Front - in your face, type ofsound. I am Loving it.
I am dying to try it on my rosewood dread(even though so many claim they do not sound right on rosewood. I have a feeling that the Newtone Monels are slightly different from others). But I have 8 sets left of Phosphorus bronze that I have to burn through first.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:45 PM

I just put a set of Curt Magnens on my rose wood Washburn.... They are pretty harsh sounding right now I'm hoping they calm down!
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 08-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I guess I'm the odd guy out of the bunch. I haven't liked Monels on any guitar I've tried them on. I've tried them on several of my guitars, and I've played them on a bunch of new Martins. I just think they sound thin and kinda dead. Give me PBs all day.
'15 Martin 000X1AE
'16 Ibanez AVC6DTS
'17 Farida OT-22W
'12 Partscaster Blueburst
‘17 Gretsch G2420
Gretsch Electromatic Jr.
More to come later...

Old 08-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

My D-18 can take either monels or PB. Just depends on my mood when I change.

My 717 don't like them one bit. PB all the way.

Just got a 000-18, and the PB's it came with sounded good. Put some Retro on it and will give them a day or two to settle in before final decision. So far however, they are sounding pretty good.

D
Old 08-29-2019, 04:12 PM

I was suggested in the archtop chapter of this forum to use these strings to get a "period" correct sound. So did I.

Reading others in this thread, I could be tried on my Martin OOO-18 as the Martins 4100 are no longer produced.

I keep in mind I could also try them on my Alvarez AP-66 (all mahogany parlor).

The LJ subset could also be tried on my Taylor GS-5 in DADGAD.

Thanks guys ! ;-)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:59 PM

Unless I somehow missed it, not one person has said they like Monels on a Taylor. Do I have to be the one who tries it?
Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Unless I somehow missed it, not one person has said they like Monels on a Taylor. Do I have to be the one who tries it?
Yes. Can't recall anyone who's reported on that.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Yes. Can't recall anyone who's reported on that.
Well, I have a set of them here. Not sure what I plan to do with them. I might try them on the Taylor.

On the other hand, aren't they basically the same as the D'Addario nickel bronze strings? I've tried those on the Taylor already, and they came off pretty fast. Robbed the guitar of its character and a good portion of its volume.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
There was one person who likes them in the thread.
I skimmed the posts to see if anyone had mentioned Taylors.

I really like them on a Taylor GS mini (Koa) that I used to have (one of the guitars that the ex got ;-) )

Various stringed instruments
Old 08-30-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Rainsong CH-OM
Epiphone Masterbilt Olympic
Old 08-30-2019, 11:28 AM

I just got a set in and want to try them on my Mahogany/Redwood guitar. I will report back
Old 08-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

They sound great on my walnut/adi 12-fret mini dread (000-ish sized). That guitar sounds phenomenal no matter what, but the monels seem to let it “get out of the way” more than 80/20’s. Still tons of volume and cut when I flatpick, but soft strumming and fingerstyle aren’t as “zingy”, which I like. Pretty dynamic for that guitar and my playing style.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:53 PM

It was string day for the Taylor and I chickened out and put my customary DR Sunbeams back on. So the evaluation will need to wait.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion