The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-25-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
So, if my current preamp/interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) has only 2 channels, would it make sense to use a mixer, like Colin has done, blending the 3 signals to find the percentage of each that sounds best?

Or would a 4 channel interface laying down 3 tracks (2 mics and the pick-up) create a more pleasing layered sound?
Using a mixer is one option, taking the three sources down to two channels but you do have to get the mix right at the recording time, whereas the benefit of a 4 channel interface is being able to change the mix of each channel independently afterwards.

Here's a thought: If you are recording via USB then you have a computer that will likely also have analogue inputs. You could feed the microphones via the Scarlett 2i2 and feed the pickup into the computer's mic / line input, probably via a mixer or DI box. Of course, this depends on being able to record from both the Scarlett and the built-in audio simultaneously, but if you can make it work then you get three independent audio sources and you can adjust each one to get the best sound.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:40 AM

Hey, thanks for clarifying things here cmac.

I suspect that trying to use both the Scarlett interface plus my PC audio card, might not be possible, as I can only designate one source for recording.

I think that a 4 channel interface would be best for the reasons you give.

I know that 2 mics should be more than enough, but it's fun to experiment with other possibilities.

--Bill

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
So, if my current preamp/interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) has only 2 channels, would it make sense to use a mixer, like Colin has done, blending the 3 signals to find the percentage of each that sounds best?

Or would a 4 channel interface laying down 3 tracks (2 mics and the pick-up) create a more pleasing layered sound?

Apologies for the simple-minded questions here.......

--Bill
Having a 4 channel interface makes it easier to experiment, but you can also experiment with the mixer approach. You may not necessarily end up using all 3 signals either, so I wouldn't suggest a 4 channel interface until you want the flexibility of being able to manipulate the 3 tracks after recording (which is nice).

Currently I'm using 3 signals myself (bleed from vocal mic + dedicated guitar mic + guitar line out), but I've heard good and bad examples using one, two mics, or three mics, so it's not the number of mics or tracks, but how you use them. Try different things you read on the forum and elsewhere and discover what works best to your ears. Tedious fun.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Thank you Joe.

Advice well taken. This is pretty much where I'm at: trying new things with each recording. It's a bit of a crap shoot, to some degree, as to what will end up on YouTube each time.

Ah yes........"tedious fun". Well said indeed.

Now, how can I best adjust the balance between the 'tedious' and the 'fun'. Should I pan 80/20, balance a bit more toward the 'tedious' by buying one of those crazy expensive interfaces, or trying this new layering technique that I read about last week (that's another 6 months experimentation), or...........maybe tilt more toward the 'fun' by selling my mics and just playing for my kids and dog, or maybe...........

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM

A caution when mixing a pick up with a microphone: Check the polarity of each unit to make certain they are the same. I had a client come in with some prerecorded tracks done that way that. The 2 signals were of opposite polarity and sounded awful when combined until after I flipped one of them.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
I reckon if I was to get another microphone it would be another AT4021. I know they aren't top grade kit but they are easily good enough for the kind of recordings I have in mind.
AT4021 mics are excellent, especially, given their price point, they are superb, really. I am quite happy with my two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD