The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 09:48 AM
Guest 728

While it may be that this isn't the one for you, impressions of a guitar on the same day it arrives (or even the same week) can be deceptive. I've never bought a mail-order guitar that didn't benefit from a pro set-up, but at least let it acclimate to its new environment for awhile. And Gibson often uses Masterbilt 80/20 strings on their new guitars, which sound a bit harsh to me, especially when new.

Hope it works out for you!
Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
While it may be that this isn't the one for you, impressions of a guitar on the same day it arrives (or even the same week) can be deceptive. I've never bought a mail-order guitar that didn't benefit from a pro set-up, but at least let it acclimate to its new environment for awhile. And Gibson often uses Masterbilt 80/20 strings on their new guitars, which sound a bit harsh to me, especially when new.

Hope it works out for you!
This is in line with my J-15 experience, Willie. At first, the strings sounded harsh when I strummed hard. This concerned me, because I specifically got the J-15 to be a strummer! I ordered in some Masterbilt Phosphor Bronze strings in hopes that they would sound less strident. While waiting for the new strings to arrive in the mail, though, the strings the guitar came with eventually calmed down, and that warm, woody sound I was looking for came through.

I'm still going to try the PBs, but for now the 80/20s are sounding good so I'll wait until the current ones die before trying the new ones.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:58 AM

A similar question arose about a walnut Gibson in another forum and one of the respondents (a builder) stated that walnut isn't so rare that it can't be better [tastefully] selected. I'll go with that.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
A similar question arose about a walnut Gibson in another forum and one of the respondents (a builder) stated that walnut isn't so rare that it can't be better [tastefully] selected. I'll go with that.
Yes, but a number of members responded as to how much they liked the look. Like so many things guitar, "tastefully selected" can be very individual.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:49 AM

If you haven't given it a setup, then you can't really audition it clearly. Gibsons are great but out of the box they basically suck- no idea why that company doesn't send their guitars set up at all.

Get the action down, I'm sure it's sky high, and get some fresh strings on there. That won't disallow you from sending it back.

If you like the sound of it now, you'll like it more once you dial in the setup. You'll like the whole guitar better once you have it setup.

I don't find my J-15 to be lacking in anything I've asked it to do for me, strumming, fingerpicking, it excels. It's a great sounding instrument and as versatile as a guitar of its nature can be.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 PM

I would buy it BECAUSE it looks like this. If it sounds good, buy it. Its unique.I
Old 05-27-2019, 07:38 AM

the action is actually pretty good. 3/32 on the high E, 4/32 on the low E.

But it isnt as smooth-playing as the 2 J35s I've owned. I could change strings, but I dont know if that would matter.

Maybe I just want to get back into a 35.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:16 AM

NOT a blem at all. In fact, it should be applauded, because less wood is wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticman View Post
or is it just a unique grain pattern? I would not call the back bookmatched.

I'm considering this very instrument (I'm a lefty and beggars cant be choosers) - but would you pay full retail for this PARTICULAR instrument? Not the J15 in general.

the fingerboard looks sort of odd as well

-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 05-27-2019, 09:22 AM

On the issue of "he already bought the guitar so why keep talking about whether you like it or not."

IMO, for whatever reason a thread is started, the thread becomes the collective property of the forum. All of us have opinions, and several folks have knowledge that is worth hearing (even when knowledgeable posters disagree).

I like walnut guitars and the J-15 in particular and I read every thread about them. The fact that the OP already bought this guitar does not lesson my interest in the comments. And someone may read this thread six months from now, or a year from now, and be considering a walnut guitar and everything that is said will be highly relevant to that reader.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion