The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-07-2018, 04:47 PM

Default The Electric Guitar that got away.

What's an electric guitar that you owned and no longer have that you'd like to have back? Same with one that was for sale that you didn't pull the trigger on (but could afford).
Old 12-07-2018, 05:22 PM

The two on the left. 2013 Tele Cabronita and mid 90’s Jackson PS-4 Performer.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Godin Lg P-90. I loved it but had to sell to help fund my '62 AVRI Tele. Not sorry I did, but I would like to have another P-90 guitar, and the Godin was a good one.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM

My only Fender ever. Modern Player Plus Tele. (Made in China), but it was set up sweet, had upgrades including Kluson tuners and Tusq saddle, was a tank [heavy] that sustained so long, and I got it for a ridiculous price.

Also a Revstar 320 Yamaha. Nice light humbucker double cut guitar to not have to worry about getting banged up a bit.

On my short list of ones to buy: all rosewood Tele
Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 PM

An old beat up Gibson Firebird that was a player. It was a blues machine but I “had” to have a Les Paul so I traded it, regretted it, and tried to go get it back but it was gone.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's an electric guitar that you owned and no longer have that you'd like to have back? Same with one that was for sale that you didn't pull the trigger on (but could afford).
Question #1:
  • Mid-70's Hagstrom Swede: best neck of any guitar I ever owned, traded it on:
  • First-run 1982 Fender '52 Tele reissue: the ones with the early-60's slim neck profile, had it rewired with a 5-way switch to get Gretsch-type sounds as well as both pickups in series - consigned it at MandoBros, understand some session guy bought it for just that reason
  • 1983 Ovation Ultra GP: nice LP-meets-Strat guitar with factory DiMarzio PU's, never really bonded with it - paid $269 w/HSC, they go for $2500+ today
Question #2 - too many to mention, but here are some standouts:
  • 1967 Epiphone Al Caiola Standard: cherry red, 2 P-90's, dead-mint NOS being sold as used for $150 at Manny's in 1975 - playing exclusively acoustic at the time, just bought a Gibson B45-12 "Lightfoot" and didn't "need" another electric
  • 1969 Gibson Crest: the ultra-rare BRW 330-style thin-hollow with gold 355 appointments and surface-mount mini-buckers, $450 at Manny's in '75 - same reason as above
  • 1966 Gibson EB-3: sweet neck, under seven pounds (lightest I've ever seen), "right" Jack Bruce-era appointments (just before they went to "witch hat" knobs), $265 at Terminal Music in 1977
  • 1967 Epiphone Riviera 12-string: cherry-red, mini-buckers, hiding-in-plain-sight NOS at an off-the-beaten-path music store in southern Brooklyn - finally got sold in 1980 to some lucky picker
  • 1977 Ibanez "lawsuit" Johnny Smith: big blonde 2-PU archtop lovers' dream guitar, $450 w/HSC at Sam Ash in spring '77 - saw George Benson playing the identical guitar in concert a couple months later
  • 1963 Gibson EB-6: a 6-string EB-3 with two standard-size humbuckers, Gibson's little-known answer to the Fender Bass VI and $450 at Manny's in 1978
  • 1959 Gretsch 6120: rode hard/put away wet, played well but needed work, $75 @ We Buy Guitars in 1979 (when nobody wanted Gretsch guitars) - came this close to buying it as a project guitar, according to a Guitar Player article a couple years later it seems Brian Setzer beat me to it
  • 1970 Gibson EB-3: two NOS slotheads (one cherry, one walnut), same music store as the Riviera - cherry got sold in '82, buddy of mine scored the walnut for $300 a week later, still has it TMK
  • 1965 Gretsch Astro-Jet: their short-lived attempt to break the traditional hollow-body mold, arguably a matter of taste if you've ever seen one but many serious Gretsch lovers (myself included) seek them out - $550 @ MandoBros in the early-90's
Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 PM

Can't narrow it down to one so here's my two:

'68 Goldtop Les Paul - sold it to get a bloody Strat, one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made!

'72 Telecaster - sold it to help fund my move to the States, figured there'd be plenty of great electric guitars here to replace it, there were, but I should never have let that one go, it really was awesome.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:10 AM

Default The Electric Guitar that got away.

1) I had a slightly beaten up Westbury Standard that I sold for less than £100 which even back then was a bargain for someone. I would love to have one again and they do turn up from time to time which brings me to...

2) A Westbury Standard was for sale in Sweden a few months ago at a reasonable price. I couldn’t afford it having just bought my Gibson 335...

The one I REALLY regret is selling my Aria SB Black n Gold II bass when I went off to college. They turn up for sale only rarely and the reissue Cliff Burton model is prohibitively expensive...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-08-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
An old beat up Gibson Firebird that was a player. It was a blues machine but I “had” to have a Les Paul so I traded it, regretted it, and tried to go get it back but it was gone.
How's the Les Paul? Do you regret getting it or just the means to get it?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Godin Lg P-90. I loved it but had to sell to help fund my '62 AVRI Tele. Not sorry I did, but I would like to have another P-90 guitar, and the Godin was a good one.
I picked up a used LG P-90 a couple of years ago to go with my otherwise identical LG with humbuckers. Lovely guitars.

The one that got away? Telecaster Deluxe, '73-ish, with WRHB pickups. Glorious tone, hundreds of gigs, jams, practices, but in a fit of hunger driven panic I sold it.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

It would have to be the Fender Robert Cray and Eric Clapton Stratocasters...
Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm afraid I might be a disappointment to this thread. I've carefully managed my assembly of tools to the point where I'm pretty happy. All the guitars that have left, except one, have done so because I bought them hoping they'd supply a sound or capability that they didn't. The one is my Epiphone Flying V that my son lusted after for years. One day he started hinting around and my wife said, "Oh sure, honey, you can have it," right in front of me. I'm sure my jaw dropped, but I'm glad he has enjoyed for years what was just a toy to me. We added Seymour Duncan pickups and it turned into a serious guitar.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:41 PM

1957 Les Paul Special that was stolen. At the time it happened they were worth about $600.00. Over the years I saw them go as high as $20k, although I think they've gone a bit lower of late.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-08-2018, 01:18 PM

My 61 Strat
Lee Ritnaur Ibanez LR-10 Semi Hollow body
L5S Gibson
Old 12-08-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I'm afraid I might be a disappointment to this thread. I've carefully managed my assembly of tools to the point where I'm pretty happy. All the guitars that have left, except one, have done so because I bought them hoping they'd supply a sound or capability that they didn't. The one is my Epiphone Flying V that my son lusted after for years. One day he started hinting around and my wife said, "Oh sure, honey, you can have it," right in front of me. I'm sure my jaw dropped, but I'm glad he has enjoyed for years what was just a toy to me. We added Seymour Duncan pickups and it turned into a serious guitar.

Bob
Same and no regrets.

I have three carefully considered, awesome electric guitars which meet my needs and then some. (Samick Greg Bennett Royale semi, Fender Stratocaster and Fender Telecaster). I guess if I could have but one other, it would probably be a Gretsch 6120 (Electromatic version would do) which I love but have no want or need to own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars