The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 02:36 PM

Default New guitar neck angle

Hi!

I’ve got a new 14 fret dreadnaught that just came a few days ago.

Using a long straight edge to check, the neck angle is slightly different from the 15th fret and higher, than from the rest of the neck below the 15th fret.

The neck angle from the 1st to 15th fret hits just above the top of the bridge. The angle from the 15th up hits just below the top of the bridge.

If I place a 6 inch metal ruler on the 15th fret, I can rock it back and forth slightly on the frets above and below it.

Is this an issue? The guitar has a nice action and sounds good.

Perhaps the guitar is a bit dry? And the upper part of the fretboard will rise with the body as I humidify it?

I’m asking this because the rest of my guitars are perfectly flat the whole length of their fretboards and I want to spot any potential issues before the return window on this new guitar closes.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2024, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Sounds pretty normal

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-22-2024, 02:44 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Post some photos.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-22-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdjansen View Post
Hi!

I’ve got a new 14 fret dreadnaught that just came a few days ago.

Using a long straight edge to check, the neck angle is slightly different from the 15th fret and higher, than from the rest of the neck below the 15th fret.

The neck angle from the 1st to 15th fret hits just above the top of the bridge. The angle from the 15th up hits just below the top of the bridge.

If I place a 6 inch metal ruler on the 15th fret, I can rock it back and forth slightly on the frets above and below it.

Is this an issue? The guitar has a nice action and sounds good.

Perhaps the guitar is a bit dry? And the upper part of the fretboard will rise with the body as I humidify it?

I’m asking this because the rest of my guitars are perfectly flat the whole length of their fretboards and I want to spot any potential issues before the return window on this new guitar closes.

Thanks!
Not only is it not an issue, some guitars are designed like that. It's normally referred to as "fall off".
Old 03-22-2024, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Normal. There's not a lot of reinforcement put into that area because it's not needed in an acoustic that isn't specifically designed for playing up there, and extra weight and stiffening in the top is not desirable. That area can ramp up or down over the years as the body/neck relationship changes.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:39 PM

Ditto x3...................
Old 03-22-2024, 09:07 PM

This is a good thing. It's insurance with a slightly back set neck, or just room for the upper frets not to buzz. The fretboard is glued to the neck and to the top. The top is flat, the neck might be a tiny bit back set. With time, the top will deform above the soundhole and eventually the angle will be level with the fretboard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion