The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
The first thing I noticed was it was tuned down a whole step from the normal B tuning. That got my attention since my past experience was that guitars that had been returned at least once, the tuning was irregular or non existent. One new guitar I purchased years ago had a set of strings on it that were completely loose. ....
I have always understood that you should de-tune your guitar when you travel to keep tension off the neck while it's being moved around. I think that's what's going on there.

I love Guitar Center - I think if we didn't have it, we'd dream of it. I have a nostalgia for locally-owned guitar stores with cool names and charismatic owners and if given the choice I'd take a McCabes, a Trinity, a Pickin' Parlor, an HB Woodsongs first. That said, if I really think about it, often those places were snobs, or have a very limited inventory. Everyone in a Guitar Center is chill and knowledgeable, they have everything you could desire (dear God, man, they had four of your dream guitars) and they'll let you take down and play them all - usually in a glassed-in room for a pretty limitless amount of time. That's kind of a dream come true.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 03-20-2024, 03:21 PM

I have never purchased a guitar from GC only accessories. The problem that I have run into is sometimes the help can be a little over the top as to trying to be cool, and coming a crossed with an attitude that they should be out on tour but they have to stick around and wait on you. The worst was a guy who was trying so hard to be Slash. He didn't last long.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:26 PM

I have bought and sold several new guitars from GC along with amps, and assorted accessories with no issues whatsoever.

In fact today I just received a new Cordoba C10 Crossover guitar. The guitar was packed well and all contents were in excellent shape!

I bought this guitar unseen as I couldn’t find this model within a 3 hour drive in each and every direction. Loving the 45 day no hassle return policy!

With that said, I won’t be needing that for this guitar because it is an amzing guitar!!

GC is what it is. Are they the best, no, but I’m glad they are there.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:49 PM

I've always had good experiences with GC. I've purchased about five or six new guitars from them, and I've returned a couple without issue. I am usually disappointed at what their offerings are (it's mostly sub-$750 models). But sometimes I'm surprised at a few nice Martins and Taylors. I don't know if they order what they want to display or if it's a corporate decision.

It's unfair to paint all GCs with the same brush. I think the caliber of individual stores depends on the managers and if competent staff are hired. It's really up to the manager and supervisor(s) to make sure GC employees serve the customers.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I really don't have any complaints about GC. They've always been fair to me. One con, they don't always the best inventory.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM

like L20A, I've had great experience with GC. I don't expect too much, and spent more time years ago shopping there. They aren't there to instruct/educate people, they are there to sell musical equipment. Once you treat it for what it is, you don't expect them to solve all your issues. They are there to sell you stuff you need and or want. Some stores are great some are adequate. It's great to have a local store that's open 7 days a week for most needed items.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I agree with the basic sentiment “ they’re not the best but I’m glad they’re there”.

Several questionable experiences, alas. Many more good and excellent experiences, bravo!

They seem to have a recurring problem with finding and shipping the case supposed to go with a used guitar, for one thing.

What I try to remember is that each store is staffed mostly by local people, and that is very often reflected in the level, type and manner in which one is treated. Regional and local differences abound.

If you find a person, sales or technical, you can resonate with, you can do very well. If you’re dealing with nincompoops, just back away.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:02 PM

The boys and I used to hang out at Guitar Center a lot back in high school in the 90s. I remember with my first (or second) paycheck from my first job in 1996, I went and bought a brand new Epiphone Les Paul off the wall of a Guitar Center. People always commented how thin the neck was.

15 or so years later I went to trade that Les Paul in at a Sam Ash, turns out it was a counterfeit Epiphone Les Paul. Guess that explains the neck.

I also bought my beloved Martin DM from the same Guitar Center, it was only recently that I learned it was supposed to come with a case, and the guy had me buy a Gator case for it.

Otherwise, I've stopped in from time to time over the years and it's been fine. I got a pretty sweet used 90's 000-16 from one that I very much regret getting rid of. Alas!
Old 03-20-2024, 09:17 PM

I used to stop in at the GC when I was in the city, which is always infrequently. Some salesmen did not seem to care - and some really did. I almost never recognized anyone from a previous trip. I have mostly purchased small stuff from them and now never think of them for guitars. Why? Mostly because some years back they apparently gave up on selling higher end instruments. Once I noticed that their so-called high end room had only a few selling for over $1000, even less for $2000+, and nothing at $3000. But there were ones in there priced below $1000. It used to be in that room that you could add 50% or even double those figures - without taking inflation into consideration.

Last time, there were no better guitars other than Martin, Taylor and a couple of Gibsons, and not that many of those. The Breedloves and Guilds were gone. They just don't seem to sell the type of instruments that might tempt me these days. And I am aware that other GCs may not be this way.

Everything there seems to be oriented to electric and rock, which probably reflects where the money is at in this market. They never have had more than a couple of used acoustics and vintage is even harder to find.

It is not a quiet or restful place. And nobody ever said that it was. I would be sad to see them leave, but it wouldn't affect my life any.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
...Once I noticed that their so-called high end room had only a few selling for over $1000, even less for $2000+, and nothing at $3000. But there were ones in there priced below $1000. It used to be in that room that you could add 50% or even double those figures - without taking inflation into consideration.....
One great thing about GC is that you can have any guitar they sell brought in to your local store, at no obligation, to evaluate and/or purchase. They don't need to stock everything (and they can't) but you can have anything brought in within days.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

ok.... o for one.... you still have two strikes left

I love Guitar Center....

sometimes you can bat 1,000 , sometimes you can strike out!

YMMV !

I have a Cort solid top ,slim body GA , with pickup and cutaway that I snagged for $239 last year

....probably one of the best guitar purchases in the last 25 years for me!

life is like a box of chocolates.....
Old 03-21-2024, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I have no complaints. I’ve bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. I’ve bought a couple of used guitars from GC online and was very happy with those purchases. Both times I spoke with a manager beforehand and they inspected the guitars themselves. They have always been fair and done me right.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:32 AM

This speaks directly (I think) to one of my pet peeves. Some people buy guitars and take them home for__ days for test runs. They are then able to return the guitar possibly tuned down a whole step possibly with peanut butter on the neck and get a no questions asked refund. Next guy comes along and bingo writes about his negative experiences with the shop.
I don’t blame the unsuspecting buyers or Guitar Center or in Canada, Long and McQuade. It’s tough keeping the lights on.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 03-21-2024, 06:47 AM

Can't really say I've had a "bad experience" with Guitar Center. Always been treated fairly.

In fact last year, while visiting my daughter out of state, I saw the local GC had a used Acoustic A20 amplifier for sale that caught my eye. I visited the store hoping to try it out but, I couldn't find it anywhere. All I could find were brand new ones except for one floor model.

A salesman looked in the back and couldn't find it so, he took me to the acoustic room and grabbed the floor model that still had the tags intact. I didn't say a word as he grabbed it and headed for the register and rang it up at the used price. As he carried it out to my car, he stated, "I sold you a new one for the same price as the used one. A sale is a sale in retail." I told him I was aware of that and appreciated it.

I've also purchased a few guitars both in person and online that were returned with no questions asked.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 03-21-2024, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

You are angered that GC sent you an apparently returned guitar while you buy four guitars fully planning on returning three of them...... but you don't want a returned guitar yourself?

I think I see the problem.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion