The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2024, 11:59 AM

I've been trying to find some demos of recent smaller Seagulls and not had much success, so there's a niche for you should you feel like getting out the recording equipment

They also have a cut OM in the Performer maple series which could be interesting for me. An 1.8" nut should be ideal for me, I'm just a bit afraid that all Seagulls have the incredibly thin neck that I didn't like on my Performer mini-jumbo.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-09-2024, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Godin! Very nice!

- Glenn
Old 02-09-2024, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

congrats! That looks very sweet. I'm a recent Godin brands convert with a Seagull S6. They pack a whole lot of punch!
Old 02-09-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I've been trying to find some demos of recent smaller Seagulls and not had much success, so there's a niche for you should you feel like getting out the recording equipment

They also have a cut OM in the Performer maple series which could be interesting for me. An 1.8" nut should be ideal for me, I'm just a bit afraid that all Seagulls have the incredibly thin neck that I didn't like on my Performer mini-jumbo.
I re-measured the string spacing and found that at the bridge, it's actually 2 1/8th" (not 2 1/4" like I originally stated). I measured the slot spacing at the nut also and it is 1 13/32".
My CEO-9 is 1.75" nut with 1.5" string spacing and 2 5/16" at the bridge. The difference is noticeable but manageable. I gigged it two nights ago and it wasn't a problem. I do prefer the wider spacing of the ceo-9 though.

As far as demos go, I may put one up when I get the time.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campro View Post
I do prefer the wider spacing of the ceo-9 though.
The spacing at the nut can be changed without problems of course (new nut, which you'll require anyway at some point if the stock one is Tusq or similar). A bit of change at the saddle isn't impossible either but trickier.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 02-15-2024, 09:41 PM

DELETED MESSAGE
Old 02-15-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Try monel strings on it. They take a while to settle but then round out nicely. And you can gig for a year on a set!

Thanks for the suggestion. I just put some Martin Retros on it yesterday. Has already smoothed out and warmed up the original strident quality that the PB strings accentuated. They are warmer than the Elixirs and the overtones are more mellow.
The guitar is quite loud with PBs, and with the monels, the volume is less but the clarity is better without the brashness.
I also love the feel, like playing an electric and I can even do string bends on the third a little more easily :>)
I ordered a set of Curt Mangan round core monels and also GHS Vintage bronze for comparison.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
IIRC Their "folk" models are the shape and dimensions of a standard classical guitar. The photos certainly don't contradict that (w.r.t. shape at least).
The original Gibson LG model was simply Gibson's 1930s classical guitar body shape braced for steel strings, so of course a guitar that looks like an LG also looks like a classical guitar...
Old 02-16-2024, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
so of course a guitar that looks like an LG also looks like a classical guitar...
I'd still put it the other way round ... you (or I, at least) wouldn't call these guitars scaled-down Mod-Ds either just because they look like that

Old 03-08-2024, 08:53 PM

Default Some Pics

Old 03-09-2024, 06:25 AM

"Rustic" is definitely how it looks!

Old 03-09-2024, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Campro, is the neck on your Godin like the Seagull neck? I've found the Seagull neck to be too wide for me.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-09-2024, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Very nice guitar! Big Congrats!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Campro, is the neck on your Godin like the Seagull neck? I've found the Seagull neck to be too wide for me.
I'm not sure. I haven't compared the two. It's 1.72" wide at the nut but not very deep. I'm used to the mod v neck with 1.75" nut on my Martin, and the Godin is noticeably smaller.
I hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campro View Post
I'm not sure. I haven't compared the two. It's 1.72" wide at the nut but not very deep. I'm used to the mod v neck with 1.75" nut on my Martin, and the Godin is noticeably smaller.
I hope that helps.
Yes helpful, thanks Campro.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion