The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Default PSA - the best bang-for-the-buck Taylor

In a recent thread I was reading of some custom guitars that came from the Podium. I loved visiting the Podium and read this with interest.

But that shop's website popped up a guitar for sale that made me jump!

I have long said that I believe Taylor's discontinued "Acoustic Line" is the best value for a Taylor guitar ever. Period.

The Grand Auditorium body is Taylor's signature design and, if you want a "Taylor" then this is the style you likely want.

The Taylor 3-series guitars are their lowest priced all solid-wood, made-in-CA guitars.

So, the combination of these three is the Taylor GA3, which is a fairly rare offering. I am a rabid follower of these guitars (I own three Taylor acoustic line guitars right now and have had MANY more). The GA3 is exceptionally uncommon.

This is for sale at a remarkably good price!

1) I have no connection
2) I am selling a GC5 so this competes with myself

I am not benefiting from this - just sharing what I think is the best way to buy the best bang-for-the-buck Taylor guitar

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 03-21-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:35 AM

I think the 300 series is superb, no doubt. In fact, the GA3 is what we got our son for college-grad present years back. He digs it!

But when considering bang for buck, I have to fall back on Taylor's 100/200 series. Which takes nothing away from the 300+ guitars, but these 100/200s are simply stellar guits with 100% Taylor quality, design, and execution, at a lower cost. If one is ok with the narrower nut, the tone and playability is all there; it's a genuine no-excuse performer's guitar that anyone could be happy with.

Sidenote with the PSA: I saw your listing for the GC5 ...fabulous value there!! glwts

Edward
Old 03-21-2024, 11:49 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have liked every 314 I ever played. Still wondering why I don't have one.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-21-2024, 12:08 PM

Depends on shipping and tax. If those add up to a couple hundred then it's priced about right. Do they consider a guitar an oversized item?
Old 03-21-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
Depends on shipping and tax. If those add up to a couple hundred then it's priced about right. Do they consider a guitar an oversized item?
From the linked site:

Shipping policy
Free US shipping on most new items over $100, except for specialized and oversized items. International shipping is available for used items. Please contact us for a quote.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I disagree. Any comparable priced guitar sold elsewhere will also add tax and shipping.

I've had more Taylors than I can remember and most were from this acoustic line. 1) this is the lowest price I've seen and 2) this is a very uncommon model that is hard to find

Old 03-21-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The Taylor 3-series guitars are their lowest priced all solid-wood, made-in-CA guitars.
I keep seeing this posted, but… the American Dream series are all solid wood, made in CA guitars, and start $500 LESS than the 300 series.

Not trying to derail the thread, just mentioning this for folks that might be shopping for a made in the USA guitar at a reasonable price.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
I keep seeing this posted, but… the American Dream series are all solid wood, made in CA guitars, and start $500 LESS than the 300 series.

Not trying to derail the thread, just mentioning this for folks that might be shopping for a made in the USA guitar at a reasonable price.
You keep seeing it because its true. I am talking about "lines" - you are talking about "series"

In standard Taylor Speak the "line" refers to the wood choice. 300=Sapele.

300 series (sapele) is the lowest price solid body Taylor guitar. It is cheaper than a comparable 700 series (rosewood) guitar. This is true in the AD or Acoustic or standard lineup.

The American Dream is today's version of the Acoustic Line.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
You keep seeing it because its true. I am talking about "lines" - you are talking about "series"

In standard Taylor Speak the "line" refers to the wood choice. 300=Sapele.

300 series (sapele) is the lowest price solid body Taylor guitar. It is cheaper than a comparable 700 series (rosewood) guitar. This is true in the AD or Acoustic or standard lineup.

The American Dream is today's version of the Acoustic Line.
I’m not trying argue with you, but if you go to Taylor’s website and click on “acoustic”, then “series”, you get a list, which includes “American Dream”, “200” series”, “300 series”, etc.
There is no mention of a “line”. Maybe that’s a term they no longer use, or maybe it’s just slang, I don’t know.
Currently, per Taylor’s website, the AD11SB is the lowest price solid body Taylor guitar.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
I’m not trying argue with you, but if you go to Taylor’s website and click on “acoustic”, then “series”, you get a list, which includes “American Dream”, “200” series”, “300 series”, etc.
There is no mention of a “line”. Maybe that’s a term they no longer use, or maybe it’s just slang, I don’t know.
Currently, per Taylor’s website, the AD11SB is the lowest price solid body Taylor guitar.
yes......not arguing - trying to clarify. The American Dream is the same thing as the Acoustic Line. They discontinued it, then reintroduced it with the new name.

They changed the naming/numbering system.

The easiest way to explain it is the way it *USED TO BE* named:

There was a 300 series *AND* a 300 series "acoustic line"

Now there is a 300 series *AND* a 300 series "american dream"

The 300 series is the cheapest solid wood in the standard offering
The 300 series is the cheapest solid wood in the acoustic line offering
The 300 series is the cheapest solid wood in the American Dream offering

(the confusing thing is that they took the 300 names away when they introduced the AD

So technically you are correct but everyine intimate with the naming history kinda thinks of it that way

Old 03-21-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
From the linked site:

Shipping policy
Free US shipping on most new items over $100, except for specialized and oversized items. International shipping is available for used items. Please contact us for a quote.

So do they consider guitars oversized?
Old 03-21-2024, 06:03 PM

When I look it up there are no photos. Has anyone seen photos of this guitar? I will concur that the GA, GC models are a pretty good bang for the buck, if it's a guitar that speaks to you. There are many good deals out there.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 03-21-2024 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:05 PM

Quote:
So do they consider guitars oversized?
Not sure why you're asking me.

Shipping policy
Old 03-21-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Any comparable priced guitar sold elsewhere will also add tax and shipping.

I've had more Taylors than I can remember and most were from this acoustic line. 1) this is the lowest price I've seen and 2) this is a very uncommon model that is hard to find
Just because something is rare doesn't mean it's valuable. Most, not all, Taylor people want cutaway and electronics. Don't know why. I have 4 Taylor's. 2 have Taylor electronics. I'm not a fan, thinking of selling them because of the electronics. But I also know I'm in the minority.

I've had 2 314's. Couldn't sell the 1st one fast enough. Thought I got a bad 1 based on reputation and bought a 2nd. That 1 was bad too.

This forum doesn't charge sales tax.

And it's still available so the deal must not be that great.

I'd consider it a deal at 850 all in.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Just because something is rare doesn't mean it's valuable. ......
True. Also, Taylor puts out more guitars than most companies. I find very little in their lines "rare". I can't remember looking for any GA, GC or GS Taylors when I didn't find plenty of options. I don't own any of them any more, but I didn't have any trouble buying them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion