The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-08-2023, 11:32 AM

Default McPherson Touring Action Question

I have a Touring model about serial # 10259....As I recall its about 4 years old / 2019 purchased...

I keep records on the action / string heights on all my guitars. I was doing a check of all my instruments the past few days (33 to check!) and I haven't done this for quite a while..at least a couple of years...

I have the same saddle that the guitar originally shipped with installed. The other saddle has an "M" on the bottom, so I am assuming the installed saddle is the low one and the one in the case is the medium...

I was a bit surprised to check the Touring's action at almost 6/64 on the bass side and almost 5/64 on the treble at the 12th fret. My previous check showed about 5/64 on the bass and 4/64 on the treble

Now I am wondering if I mis-measured originally or if a CF guitar can actually move up??? in action. The neck is tight to the body /no movement / and the bridge is not lifting up (not that I would expect either)...

All this measurement with the recommended Elixir Nano 13-56 tuned to normal pitch. Last night I installed Daddario EXP PB Lights 12-53 on the guitar and the action did go down to about 5.5/64 bass and a little over 4/64 on the treble side... I would expect that...the Medium Elixirs are 180 # tension and the Daddarios are about 156 #

Anyone out there know what their action measures out to with this guitar???
Old 03-08-2023, 02:34 PM

Did some further research and it dosen't sound like an action of 6/64" and 5/64" treble is out of whack for one of these with 13's on it....with the saddle originally installed.....I guess I'll keep my 12's on with the lower action (5.5 and 4)....

I am curious where other folks are with string height, gauge and are they playing 80/20 or Phosphor Bronze?
Old 09-26-2023, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55tele View Post
Did some further research and it dosen't sound like an action of 6/64" and 5/64" treble is out of whack for one of these with 13's on it....with the saddle originally installed.....I guess I'll keep my 12's on with the lower action (5.5 and 4)....

I am curious where other folks are with string height, gauge and are they playing 80/20 or Phosphor Bronze?
Good evening! I know this is an old thread, but nobody replied and I just purchased one today. I’m thinking about also changing out to 12s using the low action saddle. Before I left the shop they sanded the saddle down a little bit more to get the action a tad lower with the 13s. I’m wondering if the 12s are no longer capable with this saddle or if it be too low? Have you noticed if you can drop tune to D with the 12s without any issue?
Old 09-26-2023, 10:51 PM

Hi Daugela,

The Touring is a pretty short scale. It may feel a bit floppy with 12’s on it. Even more so if you down-tune for Drop D. But you won’t break anything by trying it out and seeing what you think. Worst case, if you don’t like it, you can put a set of 13’s back on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber