The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 AM

Default New Bose L1 Model II

There is a lot of buzz over at the Bose musician forum about the next gen Bose L1 system. It looks pretty cool. As one who has played through the L1 for several years, I am quite excited by the new system.

http://bose.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x
Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 AM
just peeking....

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...&src=musicians

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Old 03-30-2007, 08:22 AM

3 GRAND for the whole ball of wax?!?!?!

my current bose setup is good enough, thank you...

disappointing, cause i would have at least considered upgrading...
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 AM

I don't see a need to change, but the ToneMatch thingy is appealing......that should work with an original L1, right?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
I don't see a need to change, but the ToneMatch thingy is appealing......that should work with an original L1, right?
no idea... i really haven't looked far enough into it.

i'd consider buying the tonematch piece (it does seem like that's a pretty cool piece of equipment) if i can use it with my current setup... pricey at $500 for a fancy-looking remote, but still a manageable chunk of change versus the $3k for the rest of it.

well, i guess i'll look at the bright side... i could be GASing for a new guitar or something like that

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: i just took a closer look and the tonematch remote does indeed work with the bose first generation system as well
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker

Last edited by crowdedstr; 03-30-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedstr View Post
no idea... i really haven't looked far enough into it.

i'd consider buying the tonematch piece (it does seem like that's a pretty cool piece of equipment) if i can use it with my current setup... pricey at $500 for a fancy-looking remote, but still a manageable chunk of change versus the $3k for the rest of it.

well, i guess i'll look at the bright side... i could be GASing for a new guitar or something like that

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: i just took a closer look and the tonematch remote does indeed work with the bose first generation system as well
I'm pretty used to not using effects but for some gigs it would really be nice to have them. If it's a multipule prossessor and can run different effects for guitar and vocals for instance and contain the presets that I've got now on the L1, I'd get one for sure.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 PM

The guy at my nearby Bose shop was one of the people on the development team. He tells me that they probably won't ever add effects to the PAS systems because as he put it, "There doesn't seem to be a demand for it."

My response was, "I just showed you that there is demand for it!"

I run through an unpowered mixer and into the L1 when I use one. Gives me more channels to use and onboard effects (plus the ability to eq better for individual channels). That way, I don't have to tweak any settings when I switch from one guitar with a K&K to another guitar with Fishman electronics.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-30-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I run through an unpowered mixer and into the L1 when I use one. Gives me more channels to use and onboard effects (plus the ability to eq better for individual channels). That way, I don't have to tweak any settings when I switch from one guitar with a K&K to another guitar with Fishman electronics
Exactly. I use my mackie. It sits nicely on top of the two bass units and provides all the hook ups for my friends who joint on gigs and as many mikes as necesary. I plug the vocals in one side instruments the other all with separtate amounts of verbs and eq. Can't beat it with a stick. PUNNNN

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Plus, the Mackie gives you 48v of phantom power which I'm pretty sure the Bose doesn't do (although they may have changed that with this new model).

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Cocobologist

I was really looking forward to this announcement as a way to justify upgrading to the new model. There is no way in the world to justify a $1k uptick for the smaller base and T1 module. I mean, I bought a T1 module used last year -- Only then it was being called a Mackie CFX12 mixer, and it had double the inputs and was a little bigger...

The masters of marketing may have priced themselves out of contention with this one -- The Return on Investment compared to the L1M1 (Classic) just isn't there...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 PM

I noticed the speakers are now mounted on alternating planes. I wonder just how much such an arrangement improves the sound. I would think the highest frequencies would now be more evenly dispersed.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Lightbulb

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Hope I'm not offending anyone (and I apologize in advance if I am), but I still see no reason to sell my current set-up and buy a Bose L1...too many other PA systems w/ a lot more to offer for $2-3K!

OTOH, a friend of mine bought a used L1 system for (I'm thinking she said) $350 w/ 2 "bass modules"...those you y'all in the market for one of these rigs might want to watch out for these kinds of bargains...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I noticed the speakers are now mounted on alternating planes. I wonder just how much such an arrangement improves the sound. I would think the highest frequencies would now be more evenly dispersed.
The high freqs were always evenly dispersed. The alternating planes allows wider dispersion of audio, nearing 180 degrees as compared to the first version which was slightly less...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAllanHall View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Hope I'm not offending anyone (and I apologize in advance if I am), but I still see no reason to sell my current set-up and buy a Bose L1...too many other PA systems w/ a lot more to offer for $2-3K!

OTOH, a friend of mine bought a used L1 system for (I'm thinking she said) $350 w/ 2 "bass modules"...those you y'all in the market for one of these rigs might want to watch out for these kinds of bargains...
If I came across a PAS with 2 bass modules for $350, I'd walk away as it's obviously stolen property

Old 03-30-2007, 03:34 PM
just peeking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
If I came across a PAS with 2 bass modules for $350, I'd walk away as it's obviously stolen property
Or there may be some major issues with it. Caveat emptor!

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell