The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 07:31 AM

Default New old guitar day, Takamine EF341C.

Ok so Iíve been having a lot of issues with my Taylor 214dlx sb. Was in the shop for a month due to being ďdryĒ even though itís been in the case with humidification. Paid to have it set up for the 3rd time in a year and 2 weeks later the action went so low it was unplayable. So I loosened the pickup screws , put in a slice of credit card to raise it enough to get through a gig and the pickup now doesnít work.
These are working guitars, I bought the 214 with laminate back & sides so I didnít have to worry as much with humidity & temperature fluctuations.
Having to play the following night I pulled out a 20 yr old Washburn Cumberland I forgot about, restrung it, checked that the pickup worked and low and behold itís perfect. Been in a case with no humidification for probably 10 yrs and the action is spot on lol!
Iíve been curious about Takamine for a bit. Mostly from Nooldog(not sure thatís the correct spelling ) singing their praise.
Found a 2001 EF341C on kijiji so went for a drive Sunday and picked it up.
Itís in very good condition with just a few minor blemishes. Has the CTB4 preamp with the palathetic pickup.
Paid around $500 Canadian for it.
Tone wise itís decent, not a ton of bottom end or rich overtones, but I think that is purposely done, itís about the plugged in tone and thatís where it shines. The action is nice and low with zero buzz, capo anywhere on the neck and sounds great, the neck is a fat C which feels great in the hand. It plays incredibly well. Also itís all laminate covered in poly...everything I hate in an acoustic instrument, however itís pretty much impervious to weather and humidity. Throw it in the case and go to the gig and itíll play perfect....I hope lol.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on finding everything you hate in one guitar. Not an easy feat.

Have you contacted Taylor about the 214? Is the neck loose but any chance?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:43 AM

Iíll bring the Taylor in again this week.
Iím wondering about the neck as well.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on a fine gigging instrument... if you want the excellent plugged in sound of a Takamine with a beautiful unplugged tone as well, you have to move up to the Pro Series, particularly the 3 which is my fav of all the Pro Series. They are lively, warm and responsive.

noledog
Old 02-12-2019, 10:37 AM

I have a G72 12 string. Being a jumbo it has a ton of bottom end. I have only put it on my amp once. Not playing gigs I don't need to.

I am looking at a 6 string before the end of the year. I believe it will be a Takamine.

Every one I have picked up plays so well.
2019 Takamine GD93
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Congrats on a fine gigging instrument... if you want the excellent plugged in sound of a Takamine with a beautiful unplugged tone as well, you have to move up to the Pro Series, particularly the 3 which is my fav of all the Pro Series. They are lively, warm and responsive.

noledog

Hi Noledog, sorry I spelled your name wrong !
I thought the EF341 was a pro series?
Itís peaked my interest in the brand for sure. The plugged in tone is excellent and it just about plays itself.
I may upgrade to a CTP 2 or 3 preamp but the CTP 4 without the tube is easily good enough.
I saw a seller on eBay with new old stock CPT 2ís
Old 02-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Isn't the EF341 part of the Pro Series? Pretty sure it is.

Anyway I also bought a EF341SC for gigging purposes and it's been great for that. Unplugged its not horrible either, but it really shines plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post

noledog
Old 02-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
Hi Noledog, sorry I spelled your name wrong !
I thought the EF341 was a pro series?
Itís peaked my interest in the brand for sure. The plugged in tone is excellent and it just about plays itself.
I may upgrade to a CTP 2 or 3 preamp but the CTP 4 without the tube is easily good enough.
I saw a seller on eBay with new old stock CPT 2ís
* No worries about the name mate!

** The EF341C & the EF341SC look alike, but are very different...the former is the original version made popular by Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen featuring a laminated spruce top over laminated nato b/s and is now discontinued. The latter is a current model in the Legacy Series made at the Pro Series facility in Japan featuring a solid cedar top over laminated maple b/s. Both are made in Japan, however, the newer version sounds a little livelier than the original. However, even the newer SC version does not have that lively warm percussive tone of the satin finished solid cedar over solid sapeale that the Pro 3 series have unplugged... but plugged in, they all sound great!

*** You'll be changin' batteries every few shows with the Cooltube vs the long life you get with the CT4BII. I have a CTP-2 and it does sound nice and you can shape the mids a bit more. However with my cedar over sapeale I get enough warmth thru the CT4BII that I pulled the Cooltube out and went back to the CT4BII... since your guitar has a gloss finish you may like the Cooltube more, worth a try... I keep mine as a backup.

Enjoy your sweet Tak, looks great under the lights too!

eric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion