The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 AM

I like the idea of going to your local school and finding a needy kid.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

There was a member on LetsTalkGuild that was quite involved in a guitars-for-vets organization, I think perhaps AZLiberty may have that info right...
Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Donation

I agree with donating to: www.guitars4vets.org/.

I know some of the folks involved in this organization and I can assure it's a worthy one.
Fast Jimmy
Old 02-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I think it's a good idea to approach the music teacher.
He/She may know of a needy child with musical talent that would truly benefit from owning their own instrument.
You may be opening a door for someone.

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
Old 02-10-2019, 01:51 PM

I'm always on the lookout for guitars I can get for cheap or free, maybe needing some work to make them playable, which I give to kids, and sometimes adults who can't afford them. The church I attend is home to a couple of different refugee congregations, one from Burma and one from the Congo. Most refugees are pretty penniless when they get to the US, and many are very musical. I've given several guitars through that connection. I would imagine that you have refugee communities in your area as well. Another possibility is community outreach centers. Many of them have after-school music programs for kids.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

!st world problem.[/QUOTE]

There lies your answer possibly. I put a classical guitar on Ebay about a year ago for not a lot of money. Turns out it was bought by a charity that sends instruments out to the Third world. I naturally let them have it for free.
Also here in UK there are schemes for donating instruments to schools. You should be able to find a good home for that guitar.

Faith Saturn Naked Series

Yamaha FG335ii

Sigma DR45

Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Old 02-10-2019, 02:02 PM

That's lovely Shadow 714 (OP). Can't let this go by as a Guitars 4 Vets instructor here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. If anyone reads this from my region and has a guitar to spare, I'll pick it up and put it in the hands of a deserving vet. We have our share of vets here trying to cope with their past rotations in Afganistan, Sudan, Iraq, etc. Every minute they learn and practice guitar is a minute that they can escape the monkey on their back.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:20 PM

G4V

NEW YORK

Montrose, NY
KRISTEN STEWART
ny.montrose@guitarsforvets.org

New York, NY (Harlem)
MICKEY & SHANA STRASSER
ny.harlem@guitarsforvets.org

Watertown, NY
MARY CORRIVEAU
ny.watertown@guitarsforvets.org

Westchester, NY
FRANK SCALABRINO
ny.westchester@guitarsforvets.org
Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
+2 on Guitars4Vets. I donated an acoustic guitar to them last year. Spent some time talking with one of the reps. They do a lot of good things for veterans and have performances a couple times a year.
+3
Donated one last year around Veterans's Day to my Detroit chapter. Probably one of the better things I did all last year.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I think it's a good idea to approach the music teacher.
He/She may know of a needy child with musical talent that would truly benefit from owning their own instrument.
You may be opening a door for someone.
That's what I was thinking ... some kid who shows promise but no way can get their hands on one to play at home ... or after school is over ... could make all the difference in a kid's life ...

Epiphone PR-200
Traveler Escape Mk III

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."
Old 02-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
That's lovely Shadow 714 (OP). Can't let this go by as a Guitars 4 Vets instructor here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. If anyone reads this from my region and has a guitar to spare, I'll pick it up and put it in the hands of a deserving vet. We have our share of vets here trying to cope with their past rotations in Afganistan, Sudan, Iraq, etc. Every minute they learn and practice guitar is a minute that they can escape the monkey on their back.
Forgive my ignorance if this has already been suggested / done ...

G4V sounds like an outstanding program that helps some very deserving folks.

Have any of the big guitar manufacturers (or their US distribution companies) been approached to provide instruments directly to the program?

Just thinking; donating a bunch of their B-stock wouldn't cost them that much, would be a tax write-off, fantastic public relations, and most importantly, provide fine instruments that would literally change people's lives for the better ...

Epiphone PR-200
Traveler Escape Mk III

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."
Old 02-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Also, check with your local libraries. Many libraries now have musical instruments and other things (tools, sewing machines, whatever) that patrons can check out just like books. It's a good way for people to acquaint themselves with instruments, just give them a try and if it isn't a good fit, they return them and no harm done.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow714 View Post
Have a Yamaha LL6 that does not get played and I would like to donate it to a needy student/vet etc. It is in great shape, just do not know how to get it into the right persons hands. Live near Middletown N.Y. and would travel a little if necessary. Just concerned it would not go "where it should" if you know what I mean. This seems like a ethical forum. Any advice would be welcome.
A nice gesture. By the way, I grew up in Monroe - played your Middies in high school football! Small world, hey?!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
1981 Yamaha L-5A
1930s Harmony Mandolin
Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
Forgive my ignorance if this has already been suggested / done ...

G4V sounds like an outstanding program that helps some very deserving folks.

Have any of the big guitar manufacturers (or their US distribution companies) been approached to provide instruments directly to the program?

Just thinking; donating a bunch of their B-stock wouldn't cost them that much, would be a tax write-off, fantastic public relations, and most importantly, provide fine instruments that would literally change people's lives for the better
Yes, they do get great support from manufacturers. At the very least they get new guitars at a very deep discount. I’ve been a G4Vets supporter since 2011 and have donated many guitars to their programs. Each graduate gets a new guitar, gig bag, etc. The donated guitars typically are “program” guitars which the vets use when learning. Once they graduate the “program” guitar stays with the local chapter for the next vet. I believe their current sponsors include Yamaha guitars, TKL gig bags and Levy straps. They also have a new music book published by Alfreds that all grads will get. By the way, all instructors are volunteers. Most chapters can always use strings. I typically order some when there is a good sale online and have them shipped to one of the chapters I support. [ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8569B29-67F8-47AF-BF5F-4F7040A54B13.jpg (44.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by jgmaute; 02-12-2019 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:20 AM

Why not organise some kind of contest based on how good some youngsters could play :
-1 mark on how good they play
-2 An other on how good their songs
-3 Another on how bad their guitars are (this must be kept secret)...

And the winner gets the best result...At least it would end up between the hands of someone who deserves it : this could be organized within some kind of appropriate event, at school or in a church maybe...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion