The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Over the years I've subscribed and unsubscribed and subscribed again to AG. Interesting, I picked up an issue on the stands the other day, as it has a feature on Joni Mitchell. I do notice that the magazine seems more streamlined and with a nice balance of feature stories, pieces to learn, reviews, technique, etc. It seems thinner to me but I'm more inclined to re-consider a subscription. I think they went to bi-monthly.
The new edition is worth checking out if you found the Joni Mitchell edition compelling.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 PM

My favorite guitar publications are AG and Guitarist. Even though I'm not an electric player (or.. at least, not *mostly*)... for some reason, Guitarist hooks me in. Despite being the most expensive. I LOVE their video lessons. I've been really digging in to a couple different series, including one on theory with Gretchen Menn.

As for AG.. I've noticed that some issues are better than others. The past couple, have been good. The few before that.. I read for 1 day and cast aside. I can't bring myself to subscribe to either, but .. Idk. I don't know how I feel about the bimonthly. I guess it's OK, if the issues are signif. bigger and more content. I guess? It's less for me to look forward to, though.

At any rate, I have about a year's worth of back issues here, including some special editions i haven't done the deep-dive into.. ("acoustic" version of Guitarist, not the actual mag Acoustic, "play like Clapton", "The Blues Greats" "Legends of Tone" etc.) So I'm not lacking for material. But I was just literally about to subscribe to AG whenever they made the change to bimonthly!

At any rate, I've noticed inconsistencies in every magazine except "Guitarist" . And maybe fretboard journal, but I don't buy it much.

SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Got mine in the mail today. Eric Skye, Doug Young and Al Petteway are in this one, three of my guitar heros!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Yeah. That's why I want to get one. So I can casually leave it open in the house somewhere and see if my kids notice and and think I'm cool for two seconds. Probably not
Ha! I thought that was so your wife would be more impressed with you!

Reading mine on the plane to LA on Sunday. Hope you don't say bad things about your skype students!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
The new edition is worth checking out if you found the Joni Mitchell edition compelling.

I went out and found the issue as a result of your post. Very nice edition indeed.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Yeah. That's why I want to get one. So I can casually leave it open in the house somewhere and see if my kids notice and and think I'm cool for two seconds. Probably not

I also want to see the new format. I for one think the bi-monthly idea is a good one. Especially if it kicks up the quality.
If I was one of your kids, I would be on you all the time to teach me how to play guitar!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion