The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 02-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Unique Santa Cruz Otis Taylor

A very unusual and unique Santa Cruz. One of the early Otis Taylor guitars [S.N.1129], it’s made from Madagascar Rosewood and Italian Spruce- a tonewood combination not currently available. Beyond its woods, this guitar was played by Otis Taylor. You can watch him play it - and hear how it sounds by clicking the link at the bottom of this post.

A close collaboration between Taylor and Santa Cruz, the guitar is something of a take-off on the small bodied Santa Cruz H13. Both have a 25.375” scale length and are 2 3/16” wide at the 14th fret. Differences: The OT has a slightly wider 1 ¾” neck at the nut and has only 14 frets. When asked why only 14, Taylor replied, “I never play up there.” The guitar is also different with its compound radius fretboard which, according to Santa Cruz, yields lightning fast action. As one of the early OTs, there are position markers along the neck but none on the fretboard.

Santa Cruz describes their collaboration with Taylor this way: “Otis Taylor required very specific tonal and aesthetic qualities for his signature instrument. As a fine arts professional, Otis Taylor’s vision is a combination of vintage retro and ultra sharp European styling; this guitar looks like an expensive Italian suit from the 1930s. This collaboration has produced a musical instrument that truly reflects the artistry of both Otis Taylor and the Santa Cruz Guitar Company.”
The guitar is excellent condition. It was played by interested buyers at the shop where I purchased it. As a result there are some light marks on the pick guard which can only be seen in directional lighting. There’s a very small 8mm blemish on the back which I tried to show in one of the photos. The guitar comes with a letter from the merchant verifying Otis Taylor actually played this instrument.

This a great guitar. A excellent and highly respected luthier played this guitar and remarked he could not make a guitar this good for anywhere near the guitar’s price. The original list on this guitar was $6,999. Asking $4195 plus shipping.
Thanks for looking.

OT plays this guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPYmuVqSJcs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ot7.jpg (48.0 KB, 689 views)
File Type: jpg ot5.jpg (28.8 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg ot6.jpg (27.5 KB, 676 views)
File Type: jpg ot1.jpg (23.2 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg ot2.jpg (27.5 KB, 687 views)

Last edited by easterna; 02-21-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: adding instructions for buyer
Old 02-04-2019, 04:01 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

drool! Haven't seen something this unique in a while. GLWS.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:38 AM

As a former Santa Cruz Otis Taylor owner....these are exceptional guitars! And as the OP states...rare to see one come up. I wish I were in a position to purchase this one, as I regret parting with the one I had.

Best of luck with the sale..someone is going to get a very special guitar.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:10 PM

I own a twin of this guitar made around the same time. I believe mine is SN 1122. This is an incredible guitar and a rare bird, indeed.

You won’t be unhappy with this guitar.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Nice to see a brother in arms. Great guitar. Unfortunately, it has to go.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Please take a look. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
I own a twin of this guitar made around the same time. I believe mine is SN 1122. This is an incredible guitar and a rare bird, indeed.

You won’t be unhappy with this guitar.
I own #1131 of this model. I have a signed letter from Otis saying that it was his main touring guitar .
Did you purchase it from Denver Folklore Center?
They are wonderful guitars and you are asking way too little....GLWS.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars