The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM

Default Washburn WLG110SWCEK--

Grand Auditorium body. Solid cedar top. Solid mahogany back and sides. Ebony fingerboard and bridge. Fishman Presys Blend (combo microphone and undersaddle pickup).

I've seen prices range from $650-$799.

What I haven't seen is a single review...

So--does anyone out there have any experience with this model? If so, please share your opinions...

https://www.washburn.com/product/g110swce/
Old 01-24-2019, 09:21 PM

Unfortunately I do not have this model, but I do have a Washburn GA with solid spruce top and rosewood B/S I bought used here on AGF. So while I can’t offer specifics on this one, I can tell you about mine.

First of all the sound is GREAT! Fingerstyle and strumming both sound wonderful. Not as shimmery as my Taylor 214 (in a good way) but still very lush. The finish of the body is very nice to look at.

My only complaint is that the back of the neck feels cheap. This is very minor and does not impede my playing but my 3 series Taylor’s felt much better. The shape of the neck is a shallow C, slightly more full than the Eastman E10OM I had.

Overall, this one is a keeper for me
Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 PM

Thank you for taking time to reply. Even though you have a different model Washburn your info is important. I am interested in quality of workmanship as well as sound—not that fit and finish necessarily translates directly into good tone/sound...

I’m glad you’re happy with your Washburn!

Anyone else?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Default To new

these are a fairly new line for Washburn so you may not see any or very few reviews and thanks to all the spammers at the Washburn forum none of us left their to give any answers.But it looks like a killer all solid wood and ratio tuners for that price sounds like a killer deal.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

As a relative beginner to guitar (but not to music), before I played one in the store last fall, I knew almost nothing about the brand. I had only heard of it because my 10 year old son's teacher had a 1980s nylon string Washburn. Mine is a WCG700SWEK-D with a torrified sitka top/solid ovangkol back/sides, the same Fishman system that you mention, and one of the Taylor style armrests. I thought it blew away everything in this smaller store, including a 000-15 and all of the Martin road series guitars. It isn't as good of a strummer as my Yamaha FG800 or either of my Taylors (although you couldn't really tell from a recording test I did) but it easily surpasses everything I have for fingerstyle except my Taylor 714. I think the Fishman pickup (supposedly it is a blend of a mic as well as a piezo) sounds better than the Taylor ES2 system. The ratio tuners are the best I've ever seen. Overall, For $699, I couldn't be happier. It isn't perfect - it is by far the heaviest guitar I own. And although this is the first guitar I've owned with the armrest, I must say I'm unimpressed - I can hardly tell the difference between all of my other guitars that don't have it. Certainly not the night-and-day difference I had been led to believe.

Part of me likes having something that seems unique because almost no one talks about Washburns, but I have to ask - is there a reason why you never see any of the big channels (e.g., Alamo, Music Villa, etc.) ever talk about Washburns?
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 01-25-2019, 10:34 AM

Can't say that I have played that actual model. Washburn needs to have a simpler way to identify their guitars.
I have played several Washburn guitars in Dred size and OM size and was impresses with all of them.
Some were all solid wood and others were solid top, with laminated sides and backs.

I was very impressed with the solid top, laminated sides and backs.
So much so, that I bought one.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 PM

Hey boneuphtoner and L20A, thank you both for weighing in...

Boneuphtoner--I have the same question you posed:"...is there a reason why you never see any of the big channels (e.g., Alamo, Music Villa, etc.) ever talk about Washburns?

I've tried a few Washburns out over the years, but have never been impressed. I've also heard (justified or not) that Washburns have a reputation for being, well, crappy...Then I see the specs (and price) on the model I'm inquiring about and I can't find any reviews anywhere (written or video).

I would think a model with solid wood (and all the other components, like Rosewood binding, ebony bridge and fretboard, abalone rosette, etc.) coming in at this price point would elicit at least one review...

THAT'S why I really appreciate the three of you who have responded to my original post.

If anyone else has thoughts on Washburn's Woodline Series in general--or, hopefully, the model I'm looking at--I would really appreciate it!
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 PM

Bumping myself.

I’m trying to decide between this and a Tanglewood X45E...solid cedar top with solid mahogany back and sides...I REALLY like both...just worried about quality workmanship in the Washburn...

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:06 AM
Get off my lawn kid

At first glance it looks interesting, but the specs are sparce. I'd like to know the actual measurements of the lower bout, body depth, etc. Also, too bad it isn't available without the electronics.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfzen View Post
Bumping myself.

I’m trying to decide between this and a Tanglewood X45E...solid cedar top with solid mahogany back and sides...I REALLY like both...just worried about quality workmanship in the Washburn...

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have the option of trying them both? Or at least something close to these two?

For me, playing the Washburn and comparing it with other items they had available is what sold me on it.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 PM

I haven’t had the opportunity to play the Washburn—I’ve played a Tanglewood and was impressed—but I’ve heard the Washburn on video clips and really liked it...

I’ve played lower body Washburns and—frankly—I thought they sounded tiny and thin...
Old 02-09-2019, 09:57 PM

I have the Washburn mentioned in the thread. It is a great guitar. But I am concerned about the customer service. I had a question about the guiitar, sent them two e-mails and tried to speak on the phione with a customer service representative: not possible, you can only leave a voice mail message/ So I did it. Three weeks have passed and NOBODY answered my e-mails and/or called me. so, it looks to me that Washburn greatly in reased the quality of its guitars but it did not increase the quality of their customer service ?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Hey Gerardo1000--

What are your thoughts on fit and finish--set up, sound, etc.??? If you could offer a (mini) review it would be the first review I've come across regarding this guitar. You could be a pioneer!!!

Also, what is the issue you're trying to resolve via customer service???--that is, if you don't mind saying...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion